Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191714 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #540 on: September 18, 2011, 07:08:06 AM »
My thoughts exactly.

One part of your body getting slightly more excersize than it would by playing another game system, does not a workout make.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #541 on: September 18, 2011, 07:42:39 AM »
I am sure he meant sports games.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #542 on: September 18, 2011, 08:32:55 AM »
When I say sports, it's tennis or bowling, baseball, something like that. I am not talking a workout game. The real thing is always the best, but if you can't, it's the only thing that I find practical in Wii.

Crash

« Reply #543 on: September 18, 2011, 09:26:20 AM »
'Real games' or sports games on computers and consoles have always mystified me when the real game/sport itself is a viable and real alternative.
I mean, it's not as though you can train at tennis in the winter by playing Wii Tennis.
I think the only real exception I can think of is some of these football games where you're playing with simulated sports stars as part of a team. I can see how more sports-minded people than myself would enjoy that.

Unless it's taking to a far-flung galaxy or putting you in the middle of a conflict, I don't really see it as being a genuine game by my standards. It also helps to have a good story as well.
I know that's a bit strong but ... does anyone see what I mean?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #544 on: September 18, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
I think computer sports were invented for the people who want to play said sports but can't. Like computer football for the wimpy people, basketball for the short people, baseball for the people with no hand-eye coordination, and so on. :P

As for the Wii, I actually have a great deal of the respect for it as a console for two reasons: it's the first of it's kind to use motion as a part of gameplay so effectively, and because it was literally THE FIRST gaming console (besides a good ol' PC) that ever grabbed my interest. The Wii's motion-based gameplay is by all means NO replacement for actual exercise, and there are a number of games where it just doesn't apply too well, but there is no denying that the Wii is a step away from it's motionless sister consoles, and has paved a way that, should it continue to be pursued, revolutionize gaming as we know it.

Granted, this is a bit optimistic thinking, but hey, you can't deny that it IS a possibility.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #545 on: September 18, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
Did it occur to you that maybe it's simply for fun? Most people don't have a full-sized tennis court, and even if they did they'd get maybe twice over the net before somebody missed.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #546 on: September 18, 2011, 07:09:02 PM »
Sports games on the computer or console were (and are) made for three reasons....
  • for the money
  • for fun while learning computers and computer programming
  • for the money.

;)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #547 on: September 18, 2011, 09:21:25 PM »
if you like it, you can buy it, if not, don't.

People have their preference. Like PS3 VS XBOX. Personally, I don't care. I chose the PS3. I have played games on the XBOX. To me, same thing. online is where it can vary. If you have an XBOX and love it over the PS3, that's fine.

Crash

« Reply #548 on: September 19, 2011, 02:04:25 AM »
>>> Did it occur to you ... Most people don't have a full-sized tennis court.

Did it occur to you that you can visit one?
I don't own one personally but I know where I can join a club and play for real.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #549 on: September 19, 2011, 04:14:55 AM »
Did it occur to you that maybe it's simply for fun?

Exactly... not for me, personally, but lots of people find the game enjoyable. Not to train, or as a serious sport, or a replacement for real sport, but just a way to pass an hour or two, just brain dead entertainment. Don't over-think it, if you enjoy it, fine, if not, no matter.

Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #550 on: September 19, 2011, 05:48:56 AM »
Did it occur to you that maybe it's simply for fun?

Exactly... not for me, personally, but lots of people find the game enjoyable. Not to train, or as a serious sport, or a replacement for real sport, but just a way to pass an hour or two, just brain dead entertainment. Don't over-think it, if you enjoy it, fine, if not, no matter.

thank you. that basically is it. My sister, friend and I would have fun on it, laugh about whatever. you may get a tiny work out, but nothing close to the real deal, but then again, it depends on what we're doing. You don't get a real workout in real bowling.

here's an example. last thursday, I was with my girlfriend and we wanted to go bowling. real bowling. We went to one place and it was JAMMED PACKED. Each lane was taken up, and it was some sort of 'all you can bowl' or 'only x amount of dollars per game.
We went to another. parking lot there was FULL. I saw a driver going back and forth looking for a place. I went around a section, and figured, too busy.
There are times it can be nice to have a Wii bowling, or tennis or whatever.
I don't believe it should be the new way to play sports. real sports beats ANY gaming sports hands down. but if one just can't do it; or can't play any game because it's busy or just too late at night; what's wrong with the Wii?

like WillyP said, don't over think it. Sad if you replace it with the real deal, but if not; it's just fine.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #551 on: September 19, 2011, 06:34:09 AM »
I think my point was more how its advertized.  At least here in Canada, the advertizements seem to imply that "With Wii sports now you don't need to go to a gym, ever!"

"With Wii weight-training you can have the satisfaction of lifting a 16-ton barbel, without any of the physical exertion!" (OK well that was made up.  But I wouldn't be surprised.)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #552 on: September 19, 2011, 06:44:49 AM »
I am sure anywhere in the world, there are some people who may think they no longer have to go out and go bowling, or play baseball, tennis, Frisbee golfing, or just plain golfing. It's not the game, it's the person.
I used this example the other day with something else, a tshirt I like on Happy Gilmore. "Guns don't kill people, I kill people."
Some will use the Wii only if it's winter, and can't be outside, no tennis court or baseball field around. bowling places are packed.
you name it. others, let's just stay indoors and never go out and do anything.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #553 on: September 19, 2011, 08:21:28 AM »
A big problem I see with a lot of modern people is that they want to find a way to stay fit...without actually doing anything to stay fit. And think they actually can get away with that.

Biggest. Contradiction. Ever. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #554 on: September 19, 2011, 08:29:34 AM »
I see that a lot, or even the "eat whatever you want and lose weight!"
always the "easy" way to do things, not the "hard".
If it's easy, pleasant, lazy sounding, it sells.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets