Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191225 times)

Crash

Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #510 on: September 08, 2011, 02:11:34 AM »
I think that sounds like the best option and very intuitive.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #511 on: September 08, 2011, 06:46:41 AM »
How do you go forward then? Or backwards for that matter? ;)

Admittedly, that's probably the biggest reason why I'm interested in D14Wii, so to get to try out playing the game with the motion-sensing Wiimote. You can't do that with your PC, y'know.

Well, okay, with a little rigging up, I've heard you can, but this way I don't have to do any rigging. :)

And anyway, Descent is still Descent, and as the fan that I am, I feel obligated to support it anyway possible. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #512 on: September 08, 2011, 08:31:44 AM »
Right at first I thought: "Well, that's a stupid question! You just push it towards the screen to go forwards and pull it away to go back".
And a split-second later I thought: "That's gonna get insanely annoying if you have to keep waving it towards the TV to cruise forward.

So, now that strikes me as a very good question!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #513 on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:05 AM »
part of the reason I never got into the Wii games. my sister knows I love Call of Duty, so she got Call of Duty 3 on the Wii.
I had to keep my hand up at chest level to shoot the germans. If I dropped my arm, the gun drops.
VERY ANNOYING!! "MUCH EASIER" on a PS3, or XBox, PC..

Crash

« Reply #514 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:54 AM »
Much better than RL, rather than holding up a rifle you can let both arms rest on a desk and slouch back in your chair.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #515 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:55 AM »
when my sister, friend and I first started playing Wii Bowling, we'd take our steps and pretend to actually throw the ball. at some point, I think it was my friend, that just sat on the couch and motioned throwing a ball and it worked. all that work we did for nothing  :D

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #516 on: September 08, 2011, 12:52:44 PM »
I always imagined it being controlled like this:
Control stick - up/down = accelerate and reverse //  left/right = slide left/right

In case people are missing the point. Accelerate and reverse IS going forward and back. You use the control stick for that. I already accounted for all manner of movement.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #517 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:43 PM »
I already accounted for all manner of movement.

Sorry, DFW, you didn't account for up/down slides.

Without those, there's no trichording.  Can't have a Descent title without trichording.  :)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #518 on: September 08, 2011, 02:01:02 PM »
I don't have a descent title?  :'(

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #519 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
The problem with moving the control stick to move your ship is that you have a very limited range of motion (compared to a pyro at least). You can only move your hand so far forward before you hit the edge of your reach (or the TV if you walk forward).

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #520 on: September 09, 2011, 03:58:24 AM »
Ah Foil, quick change then: control stick is the sliding keys, all directions. Z button is reverse, C button is accelerate. The bombs are shifted to the down on the control pad. Switching weapons is left/right on the control pad. With pressing up to toggle between switching between primaries or secondaries. Does that fix things?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #521 on: September 09, 2011, 06:32:12 AM »
Sounds good to me, in fact I like the sound of that control scheme even better than the first. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #522 on: September 09, 2011, 07:51:47 AM »
IHH, you're correct about using the motion-sensing for movement - it won't work well because of the limited range of motion.  However, I assume that players will be able to use the pointing/aiming functionality for rotations, which I think would work well.

DFW, that's pretty close to what I would choose for a Wiimote control scheme.  In fact, it's not too far from what I use on PC (thumb on a D-pad for slides, forward/back on left hand, rotations and firing controls on the right).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 10:20:10 AM by Foil »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #523 on: September 09, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
You use a gamepad, Foil? I tried that once, could never get the hang of it. A joystick is what I've always used, and pretty much all I can use. It's too hardwired in my head to use anything else.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #524 on: September 09, 2011, 10:19:49 AM »
You use a gamepad, Foil?

Oh heck no.  I've tried using a gamepad (PlayStation Descent), and it just doesn't work well.

As I posted in another thread, I use a Belkin N52te controller + MS Sidewinder 3DPro joystick on PC.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets