Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191076 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #495 on: September 04, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »
Quote from: IHateHackers
Like how Windows inevitably slows itself down over time without installing anything new?

That may not necessarily be the OS's fault, but the computer's. Sometimes a computer just needs a good cleanup and/or defrag, and it'll preform remarkably better on that alone. It's hard to say sometimes.
Defragging/cleaning up is a function of the operating system to fix problems caused by the operating system. I (and all windows users who use default settings) defrag my computer weekly. It's not enough. Now I'll admit I have faulty hardware somewhere, but every time that hardware causes windows to crash, booting takes slightly longer. And I know it's a problem with the windows somewhere because a clean install of windows makes it boot fine (until it inevitably crashes and builds up whatever gunk is slowing it down again). Is it an unusual situation? Probably. But windows should be able to handle that without slowing down (except immediately after crashing, I can understand that booting slower, but when I first installed even rebooting after a crash was fast.)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:01:37 PM by IHateHackers »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #496 on: September 05, 2011, 07:26:44 AM »
So... What is the current status of Descent for Wii-ware? (as far as we know)

no clue. I'd be shocked if something happened.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #497 on: September 06, 2011, 06:11:59 AM »
Last I heard it was...um...oh gee look at that, no change.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #498 on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:45 AM »
You need a registry cleanup, not a (hard disk) defrag. Try CCleaner (crap cleaner).

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #499 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
It looks like Battle Chess is next. was a nice old game I use to play. The Queen looked rather....opps. not that kind of forum  :-[

*cough* anyways;
Descent is after that. I have noticed though, some even after Descent say stuff like Second or Third quarter of 2011. They're behind too I guess.
There's always hope. I'd be concerned if those games in the list become available, and not Descent; and that more games are added on and then available.

Crash

« Reply #500 on: September 06, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
And delete all those worthless startup programs in the system tray that everything tries to install.
You can do that in CCleaner too.
That'll speed you back up.
But I have to confess that I've only experienced Windows to slow down once you start installing a significant number of things on it.
Another thing you have to bear in mind is that the hard drive will never perform as well when full as it is does when empty nomatter how well defragged and ordered it is.

---

>>> In retrospect I should tweak it so it stores to your user application data folder in case it can't write to the working directory.

- But people love that now. The trend is portable software, not things that install and intertwine themselves with the registry and can never be successfully fully removed.
Nowadays the use of read-only memory formats is less because fewer people bother with compact discs / DVD-ROMs. It's all thumbdrives, SD cards and 2TB disks. I can't remember the last time I burned anything other than a BIOS/Firmware/Operating System Installer/just general file backups onto an optical disc.
But I agree that storing data in the user's folder is an important option to include and I will bear it in mind more myself in future.
But that's not even the same as programs chucking their settings in the registry (which to my mind is just wrong).

Where TechPro says that programs constantly write to INI files to store data - that's just bad design on the part of the program if they're constantly writing data to anywhere on anything resembling a disk. That's what *memory* is for. The probability is that they do that *and* use and clutter up the registry anyway. There should be no performance difference, that I can see, between writing to an individual file local to the application (which makes structural sense) and writing to the registry (apart from the fact that the hard disk may have to seek a little less with the latter).
The registry should be restricted to system configuration and very little else to make it less prone to bloat.

The trend towards portable software will effectively kill the registry stone dead and it will eventually go back to being what it was, which was just a hive for Windows configuration and driver settings.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:36:52 PM by Crash »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #501 on: September 06, 2011, 06:54:28 PM »
I am still not holding my breath for the Wii Descent even after Battle Chess comes out. At least if it ever DOES get released, we will have some great community levels in it.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #502 on: September 07, 2011, 05:13:52 AM »
yes, a few people already have vested interest in its release due specifically to those community levels, namely myself, Pumo, Sirius and Wazzazle.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #503 on: September 07, 2011, 06:38:53 AM »
I personally haven't given up hope for Desecent for Wii, but I'm no longer holding my breath about it either.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #504 on: September 07, 2011, 06:57:31 AM »
Haven't given up here! When it arrives, I will seriously consider buying a Wii just to have a go!

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #505 on: September 07, 2011, 07:01:23 AM »
Buy a Wii to play that totally outdated game version you can have in the same pixelated glory (cough) almost for free on the PC?

Tsk.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #506 on: September 07, 2011, 07:33:06 AM »
but there is nothing quite like playing a game on your own home console. PC can't really emulate this feeling you get when playing a game on your console system.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #507 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:16 AM »
may depend on the game; for the most part, I agree.
I'd rather play Call of Duty 2 on my PS3; but it's not available on that; only XBOX (and maybe other formats).

Crash

« Reply #508 on: September 07, 2011, 12:38:56 PM »
>>> Buy a Wii to play that totally outdated game version you can have in the same pixelated glory (cough) almost for free on the PC?
- Haha, I see your point very well but I'm mostly interested in how it's controlled.
I think flying the ship with that wireless Wiimote thing must be quite a new thing. Maybe it'll be clunkier than I'm imagining.
Those Wiis should be pretty cheap now. Could always bag one second hand or use the ladyfriend's one maybe.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #509 on: September 07, 2011, 11:34:36 PM »
I always imagined it being controlled like this:
Control stick - up/down = accelerate and reverse //  left/right = slide left/right
Pitch down/up = Pitch
Yaw left/right = Yaw
Roll left/right = Roll
That covers most of the aiming for the remote itself. But for the other buttons,
B button = primary fire
A button = secondary fire
C button = bombs
Z button = afterburner (if applicable)
- button = automap
+ button = pause/save menu
control pad = selecting primary/secondary weapons.

Hopefully they do something similar to this.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets