Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190798 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #465 on: August 31, 2011, 03:54:58 PM »
The only multiplayer I play are those zombie maps.

I got hooked when I tried the demo to the ORIGINAL Call of Duty.

I don't know what you mean by "Press A to continue". it sounds like an XBOX; "X to continue" for us, but still, what does that mean?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #466 on: August 31, 2011, 09:48:08 PM »
Uhh, yeah, I play on the Xbox too. God I could have sworn that "press A to continue" would have been well known even without an explanation.

How to explain it..... Oh, the newer the CoD games get, the more "on the rails" action sequences you get and they generally involve holding down any kind of button "to continue."
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #467 on: August 31, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »
I could have Windows, but then I'd have to deal with a lot of the b.s. on it, and I don't think it's worth it. I have Descent I and II going, and may get D3 going if I can get the mac discs.
What BS, exactly? Download a decent antivirus and don't do sketchy things and there's no BS to speak of.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #468 on: September 01, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »
That's what I thought, too. Just didn't want to participate in another faith war about which OS is the only one to go. I prefer a pragmatic approach. For me, MS Windows has always worked fine (since the days of '98). Linux is more of an enthusiast thing for me. You never know when the next kernel update will break something ... ::)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #469 on: September 01, 2011, 03:38:15 AM »
there's no war. I have installed Windows, and then a game, and it'd bog down too quickly.
No internet. no added software. nothing. installed OS, then a game, and it just started to bog down

I might buy Windows one day; but thing is, I am not that big into games to purchase a computer with Windows just so I can play a game.

update: My original idea when I had my laptop, was to have Windows and Linux on that, and have the iMac desktop.
one day, it may happen.

I have nothing too against Windows. Windows XP was a very nice OS. I just don't know if I want to spend $400 or more on a computer just to play a game or two.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 04:58:19 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #470 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:13 AM »
...but thing is, I am not that big into games to purchase a computer with Windows just so I can play a game...

...I just don't know if I want to spend $400 or more on a computer just to play a game or two.

To me, these are good enough reasons to not pursue Windows at present.

IHateHackers does raise up one good point though, and that is the fact that Descent was always a Windows game. Yes, it came to other systems (always after the fact), and it works on those other systems, but...I don't know how to explain it exactly, but it always felt...at home...on Windows, if you get what I mean.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #471 on: September 01, 2011, 07:07:09 AM »
Actually the first two games were entirely for DOS. Eventually Descent II received a Windows 95 port using DirectX and all of that magic, but it's not very useful anymore as it suffers the same problems DOS Descent II does on fast computers :P

Descent III so far is the only Descent that was on Windows first.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #472 on: September 01, 2011, 07:13:38 AM »
Oh yeah, you're right, of course. Silly me, having forgotten that...  ::)

Of course, I haven't played Descent on the DOS in ages, so that might have something to do with it. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #473 on: September 01, 2011, 07:30:02 AM »
I know what you mean. some OS can just give you that 'home' feeling. I'd like to say, I left home to go to a better place.

I want to be clear about something. I am NOT attacking Windows. In a nutshell, at least with XP, I don't hate Windows. I DID like XP (Pro) for the most part. It was a solid OS, and 99% of the time, it worked great.
If someone gave me a laptop or a desktop with Windows on it, preferably Windows XP or 7 (never tried 7 but hear it's good), I'd do a dual boot with Linux and Windows.

For this conversation though, I don't need Windows. To be able to play Descent I and II for the most part on my iMac and to play the classic Call of Duty games, is good enough for me. I am not the gamer I use to be. The games I'd love to play aren't even on a computer or a PS3. They're too old.
The only benefit with Windows right now is to maybe play Descent 3. That's about it. Descent 1 and 2 work fine on the iMac. My Plants VS Zombie game is on the iMac. Call of Duty, the expansion pack and Call of Duty 2 are for the iMac.

So yeah, Descent 3. nice game, but if I can get that on the iMac, I am all set.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #474 on: September 01, 2011, 06:26:54 PM »
Yuo don't have to buy a computer with windows. Just install windows and dual-boot.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #475 on: September 01, 2011, 08:54:16 PM »
I only have an iMac

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #476 on: September 01, 2011, 10:46:44 PM »
No difference. An IMac these days is reaching the level of being nothing more than a generic computer powered by an Intel x86/x64 processor, and there are ways to easily and reasonably install Windows onto an IMac :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #477 on: September 01, 2011, 11:26:50 PM »
What he said. Except for ancient iMacs, the hardware inside is exactly the same as a PC (although in a worthless proprietary formfactor, but you only care about that if you're opening the case, which you won't be)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #478 on: September 02, 2011, 05:01:39 AM »
so you think linux could even be installed on it? this is a pretty new OSX. I know it doesn't tell you how old it is, but I got it this past February.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #479 on: September 02, 2011, 11:02:03 AM »
so you think linux could even be installed on it? this is a pretty new OSX. I know it doesn't tell you how old it is, but I got it this past February.
Yes, you could.  However, best that you visit some of the Mac forums to check up on the "ins and outs" of doing that with your model first.

What he said. Except for ancient iMacs, the hardware inside is exactly the same as a PC ...
Not true, but you can go ahead with that belief if you wish.  I won't stop you.  I'll just wait for you to learn better.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:04:04 AM by TechPro »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets