Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190809 times)

Crash

Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #420 on: July 29, 2011, 09:09:06 PM »
We're not going anywhere with the Wii U. I'm just saying that the existing, original Wii is the only one of the three consoles that outputs no hi-def; 720 or 1080, and I think that and its focus on casual gamers (ie. Non-gamers  ;D) leaves it adrift in the market.

On a separate point:
I would be absolutely dumbfounded if the next Wii didn't offer full 1080 alongside a much faster GPU to address the present difficulties of its predecessor and if it runs original Wii apps as well then they should have another winner.
It'll also mean that the Descent devs aren't porting into a format with only a couple of years life left in it at most if you can take the game with you when you upgrade.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #421 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:05 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I think nintendo has confirmed both 1080p and backwards compatibility.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #422 on: July 30, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »
It'll also mean that the Descent devs aren't porting into a format with only a couple of years life left in it at most if you can take the game with you when you upgrade.

It's true, I see it as accessibility.  Other (short-sighted fools-) people might see it as "The Wii was so LAST WEEK!  I'm not buying any games that are made for IT anymore!  What's with INTERPLAY, that company has to be totally BACKWARDS?"
[/teenage voice impression]

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #423 on: July 30, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »

It's true, I see it as accessibility.  Other (short-sighted fools-) people might see it as "The Wii was so LAST WEEK!  I'm not buying any games that are made for IT anymore!  What's with INTERPLAY, that company has to be totally BACKWARDS?"
[/teenage voice impression]
I don't really know anybody that would do that because it wasn't on the Wii U. They'd do it because it was on a nintendo system.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #424 on: July 30, 2011, 09:25:44 AM »
Quote from: wazzazzle
It's true, I see it as accessibility.  Other (short-sighted fools-) people might see it as "The Wii was so LAST WEEK!  I'm not buying any games that are made for IT anymore!  What's with INTERPLAY, that company has to be totally BACKWARDS?"

Obviously, not many of us think that here. I mean, think about the game we all support by coming here. Blows the Wii out of the water in terms of age. :P

Quote from: IHateHackers
Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I think nintendo has confirmed both 1080p and backwards compatibility.

Yes they have, the Wii U supports 1080 hi-def and backwards compatibility with original Wii games, according to my sources. I do not know how much faster it's CPU will be in comparison to the old Wii, though.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #425 on: July 30, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
It's true, I see it as accessibility.  Other (short-sighted fools-) people might see it as "The Wii was so LAST WEEK!  I'm not buying any games that are made for IT anymore!  What's with INTERPLAY, that company has to be totally BACKWARDS?"

Obviously, not many of us think that here. I mean, think about the game we all support by coming here. Blows the Wii out of the water in terms of age. :P

Quote from: IHateHackers

Yes they have, the Wii U supports 1080 hi-def and backwards compatibility with original Wii games, according to my sources. I do not know how much faster it's CPU will be in comparison to the old Wii, though.
Quite significantly faster. 2-3 times faster I think, and 1.5-2 faster than the PS3 or Xbox. I think.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #426 on: July 30, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Well, that's why I could say it (short sighted foolz).  I knew I would not be risking offending anyone ;).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #427 on: July 30, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »

Well, that's why I could say it (short sighted foolz).  I knew I would not be risking offending anyone ;).
I am offended by your comparison of short-sighted people and fools.

Crash

« Reply #428 on: July 31, 2011, 06:56:06 AM »
It will be an outstanding thing if the Wii U is that fast because it will give developers an excuse to code for it rather than them having to search for a reason.
They'll want to exploit that power without having to resort to exotic 'tricks'. It means that we'll get a truly modern performance console before 2015, which is when the XBox is slated to last until.

I think Nintendo were naive in a way to sell a less-powerful machine on the movement detecting feature alone, which was so easily copied by Microsoft (and a bit less effectively by Sony).
But then Microsoft and Sony were naive to invest so heavily in machines that had to last 10 years each and be sold at a loss with the games recouping the outlay in order to turn a profit.
Although the strategy seems to have worked well for Microsoft going from their recent profits.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #429 on: July 31, 2011, 07:12:36 AM »
It's because microsoft finally made something good.
I'm planning on buying a 360 after this year at the U of W.
Right now though, I need to pay for my classes (not being sponsored this year).

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #430 on: July 31, 2011, 11:11:21 AM »
Well, I don't know, Crash, back in it's hey-day, the Wii was a pretty good seller. And I remember being in awe about the whole motion concept, so much so, I wrote an article about it in my local newspaper stating as such (I was writing for a teen-writer page back then). This was a big deal for me, because I had shown next to no real serious interest in gaming consoles until the Wii came along, so that says a lot about the Wii if it impressed me that much in concept alone, and I know I wasn't alone at the time.

And I didn't know, realize, or really care that much that the Wii had inferior graphics until a couple years down the road. And I haven't been that impressed with Sony's and Microsoft's attempts to best the Wii, either. Sony's Playstation Move was quite obviously mimicking the Wii in nearly every way save it had an unsightly glowing orb on the end of the remote, even though it does seem to preform better, and Microsoft's Kinect is a revolutionary idea, but imperfect still, and still not entirely sound on what it can be used for, nor has it preformed quite as well as it's competitors in terms of sales, though it's done well enough.

Point is that the Wii may have been lacking in some areas, but it was and still is a very revolutionary console, and clearly it paid off. As of July 2011, it still leads the current gaming generation, and holds the record for best-selling console in a single month. So the Wii can't be ALL bad.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #431 on: July 31, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »
That's very true and hindsight is always 20-20.
The Wii was always pretty inexpensive from the start as well. Whereas the PS3 started at about £700 or something crazy like that.
Looking back at allsorts of things it's astounding how little business acumen businesses sometimes show. I guess that comes from expecting them to act like people; actual individuals not just legal individuals.

Actually the PS3 was a steal for university research and science number-crunching because you got a 'kind-of' 8-core CPU and a big GPU for about £500 a while after and people just hooked them together to make supercomputers on the cheap.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:21:29 PM by Crash »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #432 on: July 31, 2011, 03:50:21 PM »
Honestly I think the Kinect is pretty cool and impressive, but it has different good uses than the Wii does.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #433 on: July 31, 2011, 09:02:46 PM »
The Wii now sounds like a high-tech piece of video exercise equipment! lol

FIRST POST IN AUGUST!!!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #434 on: July 31, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »
The Wii now sounds like a high-tech piece of video exercise equipment! lol

FIRST POST IN AUGUST!!!
Did you just wake up in 2008? The wii moved away from that a long time ago. The Kinect on the other ahnd still seems to be in that phase.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets