Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191241 times)

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #390 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22:46 PM »
I want to see him turn around and say "uhh, we didn't fix it" so that we can laugh at the game companies.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #391 on: July 21, 2011, 05:32:14 AM »
I could use a good laugh. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #392 on: July 27, 2011, 05:31:11 AM »
I had asked about the state of this matter last week, and haven't gotten any reply.

Now the project leader sits in California, and his "lead dev" in Argentina. The dev doesn't respond to any prompts by the project leader to provide resources needed to assist him. Instead he claims he has fixed the issue two weeks later, but hasn't delivered proof of it (he may have done so now - I simply don't know, since my last inquiry in the issue hasn't gotten a response).

Count this together with the insanely long time to make this port and very poor responsiveness of G1M2 to the community.

My guess: Small company consisting of young guys spread over half the world, "lead" dev probably a student or whiz kid with a half assed computer education (if any at all) who (probably therefore) has no interest to let anybody look into his work and above that doesn't comply with instructions given by his superior (who doesn't seem to have any real means to make his dev comply ... ouch). I also don't think there is more than one programmer working on this, and I have the suspicion that the guy doing the port just sucks at it.

This would fit well into the meager financial resources Interplay very likely has and their desperate scrambling for just any source of income (like a port of a stone age game to a game console without polishing the game more than most superficially).

The Wii is slowly dieing, and I wouldn't hold my breath for this to see the light of day before the Wii is dead for good.

Of course this is again all speculation.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 05:38:45 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #393 on: July 27, 2011, 05:37:30 AM »
Interplay is scrambling to eat the rats before the other hungry dogs can, you mean.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #394 on: July 27, 2011, 05:38:19 AM »
LOL! Probably.

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #395 on: July 27, 2011, 05:41:06 AM »
Well I figured this may be the case with how things are being run, but I'm still hoping for the best that this will see the light of day.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #396 on: July 27, 2011, 05:44:24 AM »
Well, hope dies last...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #397 on: July 27, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
Speculation aside, you're right that the Wii is about to bite it. The moment the new Wii U comes out, the Wii is going to become a thing of the past, phased out and forgotten as it usually happens with Nintendo tech. Of course, this is going to Wiiware, which both consoles can support, but obviously it's meant and geared for the original Wii. Interplay has until then (late 2012 on Nintendo's current time tables) to release this. Afterwards, they'll have likely missed their best window of opportunity for the best sales, most likely.

And darn it, that irks me. This is Descent we're talking about, it deserves another shot at the big times, and this Wii-port was probably going to be it's best chance for that shot, but Interplay doesn't seem to want to do it. At this point, it's just them squeezing for money, which we already kind of figured, it's just now clearer than ever.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #398 on: July 27, 2011, 07:47:21 AM »
The question is probably less whether Interplay wants it than whether G1M2 can do it; and I wouldn't even start talking about a reasonable time frame - that has passed already.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #399 on: July 27, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
Speculation aside, you're right that the Wii is about to bite it. The moment the new Wii U comes out, the Wii is going to become a thing of the past...

lol... maybe Sony will scoop it out as all this procrastination continues and is finally released on "Playstation 8"
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Crash

« Reply #400 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
I think Nintendo have made whatever money they ever will with Wii, I agree with you.
The sales on the Wii slumped massively several months ago in the UK and haven't recovered.
It's slightly surprising since it came out later than the XBox 360 and PS3 and looks to be on the way out sooner.
It's also highly unsatisfactory from the point of view that the Wii costs a similar amount to the XBox and people won't get a product that is current for any length of time.

How long-abouts have they been working on this port, do people know?

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #401 on: July 27, 2011, 11:46:49 AM »
About a year?

Crash

« Reply #402 on: July 27, 2011, 12:51:37 PM »
Could be worse, I guess.
I think Nintendo will be crazy if whatever they release next hardware-wise isn't fully backwards-compatible with the Wii programs.
I don't think many people will stump up funds in this economy for a new Nintendo console having so recently bought a Wii unless it is considerably faster and has some groundbreaking new feature.
If it had no backwards-compatibility with such a recent predecessor, that'd be the nail in its coffin, I suppose.

Anyway, fingers still crossed for a successful release and new recruits to Descent fandom shortly thereafter.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2011, 07:10:41 AM »
Wii U is backwards compatible with Wii games, which really makes sense when you think about it. It is NOT, however, backwards compatible with Gamecube games like the original Wii was, so if you've been using your Wii to play Gamecube games and get a Wii U, don't get rid of the Wii.

Wii U will also feature hi-def graphics, something the Wii has long lacked (and could possibly attribute to it's slacking sales as of late). It also has a seemingly do-it-all controller and of course I'm sure it's got various processing upgrades it's predecessor didn't have. Beyond that, though, I don't really know the Wii U's specs.

It's actually gotten a bit of a mixed reaction from the public, so I guess we'll see if the Wii U pulls through.
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #404 on: July 28, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
Well, if it does proper 1080p High Definition, that will be something that the X-Box and PS3 very seldom manage with their games.
Though you have to bear in mind that even the PS3 only packs the equivalent of a single 8800GTS/X, and the X-Box 360 ~ a 7900GTX. They do a fair bit with not a great deal quite honestly.

I mean, the 1080p HDTV is the only TV resolution sold above 32" nowadays and people see that and think - "Well, do I want a console whose resolution was only designed to feed a 32" CRT feeding my 46" LCD behemoth?" So I think you're absolutely right.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:46:03 AM by Crash »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets