Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 191227 times)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #360 on: July 11, 2011, 04:58:30 AM »
any word karx?

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #361 on: July 11, 2011, 11:17:06 AM »
Scott has contacted me and has asked his lead developer to get me a few screenshots showing the issue, but so far no screenies have arrived.

They don't seem to be too much in a hurry about it.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:02:41 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #362 on: July 11, 2011, 01:03:18 PM »
But have they been in a hurry about anything with this entire port? :P

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #363 on: July 11, 2011, 03:42:22 PM »
Noooooooot eeeeeeeexaaaaaaactlyyyyyyy .........
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 02:17:23 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #364 on: July 12, 2011, 06:48:59 AM »
Well, they haven't set an exact release date yet, just a vague statement of "sometime 2011," so it's not like they have a solid deadline to adhere to. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #365 on: July 12, 2011, 07:19:46 AM »
There is a difference between taking the time to get it right, and just wasting time.  Portal 2 was an example of the former.  I get the feeling this is an example of the latter :P.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #366 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
This makes me wonder what kind of game Valve could produce if they were to ever get the rights to Descent...  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #367 on: July 12, 2011, 09:07:24 AM »
I just hope that they wouldn't use their Source engine for it. I think that it's too flimsy.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #368 on: July 12, 2011, 11:33:55 AM »
Even I don't know when it'll be released and I've been in continual contact with Scott at G1M2. He just says it'll be 'soon.' Which could be any amount of time, honestly.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #369 on: July 14, 2011, 12:05:15 AM »
Well, I had asked for a screenshot of the issue to be able to judge where it might stem from, but so far I haven't even received that.

This makes me wonder whether the lead dev doesn't want external help and may even have been offended by that suggestion.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #370 on: July 14, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
Do you think they're watching our forum and may have been butt-hurt by some comments?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2011, 12:31:28 AM »
I haven't seen any Wii port related comments here so far of which I would say that they were disrespectful and not reflecting the truth. If however some G1M2 people should have been offended by being told that they seem very slow and unresponsive, then they would probably have a problem with hearing unconvenient truths about this port. So far this is however only speculation.

If I had a year's time, a Wii and dev kit, I could have ported D2X-XL there alone - and it would look and play greater and offer more than a vanilla port of the original Descent code. Not to speak of having a full OpenGL port and a ton of related bug fixes already.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:33:41 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #372 on: July 14, 2011, 07:24:39 AM »
I haven't seen any Wii port related comments here so far of which I would say that they were disrespectful and not reflecting the truth. If however some G1M2 people should have been offended by being told that they seem very slow and unresponsive, then they would probably have a problem with hearing unconvenient truths about this port. So far this is however only speculation.

If I had a year's time, a Wii and dev kit, I could have ported D2X-XL there alone - and it would look and play greater and offer more than a vanilla port of the original Descent code. Not to speak of having a full OpenGL port and a ton of related bug fixes already.
Then why don't you go apply for a job at interplay instead of swinging your superiority around like a bull-roarer?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #373 on: July 14, 2011, 09:38:47 AM »
Germany is not in southern California.  No matter what movies "taking place" in Germany would have you believe :P.

"Swinging around your superiority" is always fun anyway -- especially when you have a legitimate reason and your opponent doesn't.
I love it when a turning driver gets pissed off at me for crossing the street when I have a walk light and thus right-of-way.  Sure, they can get pissed off at me, but they can't actually do anything else about it.  It makes me feel powerful, if you know what I mean.
This seems like it could be much the same thing.
Personally I think they should have asked for Karx's help at the beginning of the project instead of after it was already overdue.  So I think Karx is justified... and if he's having fun with this it's only because he deserves to.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 09:41:21 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #374 on: July 14, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »
IHateHackers,

What I said is simply a matter of fact and the result of sifting through the Descent code, cleaning it up and rewriting huge parts of it for seven years. If you compare to having had to deal with badly written code that is over 15 years old for a year, it is nothing but a logical conclusion that I could have done this faster. I also believe that a D2X-XL port to the Wii would do more justice to the hardware and the times, and would be way more attractive to play than the original game.

The Bible says that what comes out of you makes you impure (because it comes out of your heart, i.e. what you really are), not what goes inside. So if you look at my actions and can see nothing but arrogance, that probably has way more to do with you and your perception of the world than with me. Your interpretation of my words say a lot about you and the concepts about other people you have, and the concepts you don't - and you definitely have no concept for the kind of person I really am, since apparently you have no concept of a person just stating the facts he sees without any implications of superiority or inferiority. You also seem to be incapable of as little self control as would be needed to just ignore me, if you don't like me and can't help yourself from attacking me at every second occasion. Again, that says a lot more about you than about me. It also says something about you that apparently you have developed a deep and persistent antipathy against me you are willing to live out again and again. May I hint to the fact that it was you who had attacked me two times in this forum already without any reason, and that it is you who is responsible for the replies he has reaped from that. Again, your denying that responsibility would say something about you.

It's a pain in the neck that on the internet, adult people (like me) have no chance of getting immature boys (like you) out of their way when they're trying to talk to other adults and to accomplish something.

You will certainly perceive this reply as incredibly arrogant again. If so, that would be because you lack the humility to accept criticism and judge yourself in its light.

Now leave this thread if you have nothing worthwhile to contribute to it. Since you have no clue and no say about Descent coding I doubt you have.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 01:14:34 PM by karx-elf-erx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets