Author Topic: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED  (Read 190800 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: DESCENT FOR WiiWare ANNOUNCED
« Reply #300 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:22 AM »
But of course, it's Interplay. They can't put too much work into this. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #301 on: May 15, 2011, 06:28:47 AM »
Yes, I seem to recall that they originally went bust thanks to being sued for their contractual non-performance or something along those lines.
I can imagine the development arm of such a company being recalcitrant.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #302 on: May 15, 2011, 06:30:17 AM »
The lighting in the screenshots looks weird, though.
Looks like typical per vertex lighting artifacts.
Yeah, I see what you mean... but from my memory the data for lighting was a lot better in the original... Perhaps I never paid enough attention. It's the second screenshot, in particular, that looks the worst. I don't know what room that is to compare though.

It also looks somewhat "flat" in screenshot four, but that's mostly unavoidable, I think.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #303 on: May 15, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
The pic in screenshot two is from a custom level, one from the Levels of the World set. I've played it before sometime ago, but I can't remember the name of it...

I believe the player just got hit in that screenshot too, so there would be a red tint in place on the screen as a result. That might explain why it looks off to you Insanity

Screenshot four doesn't look flat to me...but maybe that's just me.

Except for the cockpit, (which I still have mixed opinions about) I'm actually okay with how the game's looking anyway. It may not be very enhanced for the times, but it still appears to have the "classic" D1 feel, and that's good enough for me. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #304 on: May 15, 2011, 10:15:59 AM »
I can't understand all this excitement about the "classic" look. I mean heavily pixelated 320x200 screen res? WTF?

Crash

« Reply #305 on: May 15, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
Hmm, you'd think the models and textures would only benefit from 640x480 at least.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #306 on: May 15, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »
It may seem strange to you, but I actually like oldschool-like 320x200 graphics (though I don't care when the view is actually rendered at a higher-resolution, like Rebirth with the low-res graphics at high-res modes, and games like Minecraft). I don't really like graphical overhauls for these older games, it just makes it feel weird to me.

Crash

« Reply #307 on: May 15, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
Sometimes I go back and play Fury3. It outputs at 320x200 and it's a crying shame because it's obvious that the models and textures would be perfectly adequate to support 640x480. With the lower resolution, it is diffcult to observe the features and details of the various well-designed air and ground targets plus the attractive environments.
It is insanely blocky and a crying shame. To be quite honest, the Descent robots are not as detailed or interestingly textured in comparison, so you might get away with it but Fury3's lack of increased resolution option is genuinely infuriating.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #308 on: May 16, 2011, 06:59:51 AM »
It may seem strange to you, but I actually like oldschool-like 320x200 graphics (though I don't care when the view is actually rendered at a higher-resolution, like Rebirth with the low-res graphics at high-res modes, and games like Minecraft). I don't really like graphical overhauls for these older games, it just makes it feel weird to me.

that's kind of how I am. Rebirth isn't too bad, but ZDoom (for the classic Doom) seemed a tad weird.

I like detail/graphics. It's cool to see something stunning, but, the classics, big deal. They were fun before, and they can still be fun.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #309 on: May 16, 2011, 07:01:38 AM »
It's nice every now and then to play something like Descent with improved resolutions, but I have to admit, it's great to give in to nostalgia and play it the way you remember it. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #310 on: May 16, 2011, 12:53:27 PM »
320x200 on a 56" TV? No thanks, pixels should be smaller than my finger...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2011, 07:50:43 AM »
*considers this*

Okay, I guess I didn't think of that. :P
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
Obviously the difference between 320-across and 640-across is pretty large but past that, you're into the land of diminishing returns with every increase. I mean 720p is a fairly sharp image and you're not going that far beyond 640x480 with that.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #313 on: May 17, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
I've played PSX games with a resolution of 256x240 (possibly 256x224 actually) on giant TVs before. It's not that bad...

:P

Crash

« Reply #314 on: May 17, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »
Depends on the game, I think.
With Descent, where it's a 3D title and we've seen with D2X-XL how far you stretch its rubber band, there is a kinda ... expectation of a modern PC resolution.
I mean some modern graphics cards won't render anything as small as 640x480. I know that's true of some high-end Nvidias.

X-Bomber looks good on 40" with 800x600 as long as you don't stretch it. That kinda ruins the look of the ships.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets