Author Topic: PD.com destruction?  (Read 34525 times)

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
Re: PD.com destruction?
« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
I doubt GameSpy really cares at this point. It's now pretty IGN with a green theme now. Not to say that I don't like IGN - I do think they have the fairest reviews (as evidenced by the number of fanboys that hate the site) - but this is ridiculous. :-\
I, for one, hope this is much, much more than a reconnaissance mission.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2010, 09:15:14 AM »
Quote from: WillyP
Wait till D4 and Dwii come out then they will be begging us to come back.

And then we'll say NO! Mwahahahaha!  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2010, 09:20:18 AM »
I doubt GameSpy really cares at this point.

Exactly my point! The numbers aren't there for them. But if a new Descent came on the market, they would see the dollar signs light up and want a piece of that pie.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »
Hmm...I'm getting a lack of a PD.com when I visit as well...just a whole bunch of IGN ads on what appears to be their homepage. XP

I guess we'll see what responses TopGun's emails get before assuming the worse, but it does look like PD.com is no more for the moment.  :'(

Dang it...there goes my record breaking post count... :(
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #94 on: April 20, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »
Dang it...there goes my record breaking post count... :(
And my shot at catching you.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #95 on: April 20, 2010, 05:50:28 PM »
Can someone add an extra 3000-something posts to Scyphi's count, please?

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #96 on: April 20, 2010, 06:11:27 PM »
Naw, my son is going to have to earn them again. 

... but you could give you lots of powerups,  if you wish.

WillyP, we need a good Evil/Devil smiley on this forum.  Can we get one?

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #97 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:13 PM »
We all know that Scyphi was a royal spammer.  I was there for over nine years and never hit 3000 posts. :P

*adds salvaging PD's smileys to wish list*

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #98 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »
I wouldn't exactly describe him as a spammer. Just a definitely over-achieving internet presence, I'm afraid.  ;D

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #99 on: April 20, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »
We all have something special about us... His was a need to reply to any and every topic made :P

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #100 on: April 20, 2010, 07:03:18 PM »
Perhaps so, but he was always good to keep his comments relevant, contributing, and usually supportive (except when really annoyed at someone).

I wouldn't call that spam at all.

Offline D2Disciple

• Major
  • Gold
  • Deal with it.
« Reply #101 on: April 20, 2010, 07:51:19 PM »
I was on PD.com for roughly the same length of time and only racked up around 1150 or so posts. Of course, I had not visited/posted on the site much at all for the past year due to nursing school (to which I must say that studying is what I should be doing as I write). I have, however, been highly active on these boards because, while I do have a soft spot for PD.com, I am quick to transition and a proponent of change (if it's for the better). I felt PD.net had a much better opportunity for community involvement by offering super-easy file hosting in the gallery. Reactor is only adding that community-centric atmosphere.

I feel like PlanetDescent has always been a small community of gamers primarily focused on providing a friendly atmosphere that encourages creativity, discussion, and above all, fun. The forum bugs and limitations of PD.com stifled that atmosphere, IMHO, so I moved on here and love it, despite having to use the groan-worthy SMF boards.  ::)

That's not to say I didn't at all like PD.com. On the contrary - I loved the board design. I would kill (robots, of course) to see the board design recreated for this website. Not having the rest of the site around, as well, pretty well bites hard. Besides missions, are other downloads (such as patches, music, random junk like reticles and ship mods) still available from Do_Checkor, or are they gone?

Offline Kaizerwolf

• Gold
    • Youtube
« Reply #102 on: April 20, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
From reading this topic: Does anyone know what malware/trojan was on PD.com? I did some Anti Malware scans and found a password stealer and some other nasty things after Planet Descent stopped working right, but I dont know if those are it.

I'm sad. But it'll make me visit this place more often... this is my new homepage. :)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #103 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:05 PM »
... Not having the rest of the site around, as well, pretty well bites hard. Besides missions, are other downloads (such as patches, music, random junk like reticles and ship mods) still available from Do_Checkor, or are they gone?

Good question.  I'll see if I can find out.

I do know that from the http://d3fischlein.de/ site that you can also get listings of Tools, Mods and stuff like that, but it doesn't seem to be the same stuff PD.com listed at all.

For now, you might want to use the Web Archive: PlanetDescent.com on the WayBack Machine and stepping through some "hoops" you can still get/grab a lot of stuff.

You're welcome to grab stuff and help upload it here (be careful not to duplicate what others upload ... and document well, PLEASE).

Offline Thunderbird

• Silver
« Reply #104 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
Wouldn't be looking for this, would you?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets