Author Topic: World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Taken  (Read 9021 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Taken
« on: August 27, 2013, 02:04:44 PM »
As presented in the following YouTube video for your viewing pleasure:

The video I speak of.

Some of the photos shown are just curious, but some are indeed stumpers that cannot be explained at present time.

I have some of my own theories about these, but I'm curious to see what some of you guys might make of them.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Taken
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 03:21:58 PM »
Well, I think number 6 is more likely proof that crazy people exist than proof that time travelers do...

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »
I want to know more about that Black Knight object. There is some space junk tracking radar that is tracking over 2,000 pieces of debris. I wonder if they have anything on the Black Knight. If it is ever seen again from space, they should radio ground and ask if they see it on radar.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 10:58:24 PM by NUMBERZero »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:43:24 AM »
Well, I think number 6 is more likely proof that crazy people exist than proof that time travelers do...

Ditto that. Personally I'd think that a time traveler would be sensible enough to not use the very device that didn't exist in the time period he/she is visiting. And anyway, what good is a cell phone to a guy in a time period that doesn't have them?

Quote from: NUMBERZero
I want to know more about that Black Knight object.

Likewise, because the video indicated it's basically sitting where it shouldn't exist when it was first noticed. At first glance, it looks like it could be some kind of craft, but a closer look suggests its actually just space debris, which heightens the mystery if its sitting where it shouldn't be possible for the time it was first detected.

So I did a Google search, see if I could find out more on this thing. Here's one of my results that sums things up nicely. It adds intrigue to the story in that the "black knight satellite" story has actually been around for longer than the video suggests, but also shows a lot of inconsistency in said tale. The photographs shown may NOT even be of the same object, but something else entirely that has since turned up in roughly the same spot. So now it's even harder to know what it might be, how long it's been there, or if there was ever anything out of the ordinary there in the first place. Furthermore, the video claims this thing's been detected since the 1960s, but the only photographs I find of it are from the STS mission in 1998, three decades later, so the odds are not in favor of it even being connected.

With this in mind, I figure what the photos in the video show is just some space debris knocked loose during some space mission and happened to float into that general area. The black color suggests a thermal blanket or something of the such, and could have just come loose from a space shuttle or like EVA craft during a mission some time in the past. If so, it probably was not there for long beforehand, and probably isn't still there now, as it sits in far too low an orbit (atmospheric friction would've soon slowed it down to the point that it fell back to Earth and likely would've burned up in the atmosphere before reaching the surface) with no visible means of maintaining its seen position long term. Furthermore, it's flight appears ballistic and uncontrolled.

Even if it was a UFO of some sort, as some would like to believe, it would have to be unmanned, as it's far too small.

Still, the there are still some unanswered questions about this thing.

Quote from: NUMBERZero
There is some space junk tracking radar that is tracking over 2,000 pieces of debris.

True, but even then, that is far less pieces than is known to actually sit in Earth orbit, but the small size of most of the debris makes it hard to impossible to track. Quite regularly, in fact, NASA and other space agencies have been getting trouble from all that debris up in orbit that they just can't all keep track of causing harm to satellites, space stations, and other space craft, so much so they have been researching possible ways to try and "clean up" the low earth orbit of some this space junk.

If somebody actually has a lead on the present location of this "black knight" satellite, I can find no record of it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
But it is a UFO.
It's an object that's flying (well, technically falling but that's still an F) and it's unidentified ;D.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:38:02 AM »
You know what I meant.  ::)

Actually, I did think of somebody pointing that out as I was writing it, but I decided to chance it anyway. Shoulda used a different anyway.  :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 03:29:39 PM »
But it is a UFO.
It's an object that's flying (well, technically falling but that's still an F) and it's unidentified ;D.

That's a UFO alright. Until it's identified, it's a UFO :)

The "cell phone" one, I saw that before, but not sure what to think of it.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »
UFO true, but yes we all know what is meant by the term. But what is that object? The experts apparently have been discussing it for some time but have not positively identified it. It would be interesting to see what they have ruled out, what the so called experts have speculated on it's identity. Who knows what may have been launched into orbit, blown up and mostly destroyed beyond recognition.

And looking at the cell phone one, I think it's a stretch to say it looks like a cell phone, not that it doesn't look like a cell phone but because it could look like lots of things. What year was it? Could it be a transistor radio? Or if it's older than that could it be a comb or hairbrush? Or any object she just happened to be holding and decided to scratch her head coincidentally at the moment the picture was taken. Ludicrous to claim it's a cell phone and even more silly to claim it's proof of time traveling.

Edit: Went back and looked at it again... picture taken in '28, nope, not a transistor radio, but in looking at it, not even sure that's a hand... could be part of her fur collar.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 04:00:02 PM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
I think I got it! You know to test  how well you sound, you cup your hand and place it over your ear. that's what she is doing! (crickets chirping)............
right?

The monster one, i think it's just the way the water was, reflections or whatever. We have mirages, and pay no attention to what "looks like water"

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 06:17:36 AM »
Quote from: Vanguard
The monster one, i think it's just the way the water was, reflections or whatever. We have mirages, and pay no attention to what "looks like water"

This is what I think too, just a happenstance trick of light, water, and probably terrain under the water as well, that resulted in actually kind of a cool effect when you think about it.

Looked at the pictures of the Black Knight Satellite again, and am now convinced enough it is just a piece of debris from something else man-made (and recent) that I would bet money on it. True, that doesn't say what it came from, but since whatever it was obviously isn't intact anymore, it's almost a moot point, and really, there's TONS of unaccounted space debris like that in orbit right now, and you don't see anybody getting all excited over that stuff. Furthermore, I'm sure that whatever it was, it's not up there anymore. Like I said before, it's orbit is too low and ballistic. Unless something came along and bumped it back up into a higher, stable, orbit, it's probably burned up by now.

If the gal with the cell phone really IS carrying a cell phone, then it's the most old-school and darnedest looking cell phone I've ever seen, because it looks to me more like the receiver to a rotary phone. But I suppose that doesn't clear things up much either, because the style of rotary phone I'm thinking of doesn't seem to have been that common yet in the 20s.

But the photo that's got ME stumped the most, and the one I'm surprised nobody else has brought up yet, is the Solway Firth Spaceman photo (number three in the video). Unless the photographer who took it was lying, and there really was somebody else in that field (and I can't see why he'd do that) I can't think of any way to explain it without going into the far-fetched.  :o What bugs me about it even more, is the fact that the "mysterious figure" seems to have his/her/its back turned to the photographer and his kid, apparently looking at something else that was out there.
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 06:23:45 PM »
I have a photo that is, or at least was very mysterious. It was taken at a bbq my wife and had shortly after we got married. One photo I took showed a mysterious woman seated at the picnic table whom I could not for the life of me identify. My wife said that's Kia, my good freind's stepdaughter whom I've known since she was 6. Once she said that, I could see it was her. I think because I had always thought of her as a little kid, even though I recognized her in reral life, I always saw her as a little kid, but in the picture she was a woman.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:25:29 PM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 06:58:00 PM »
makes sense. we go by what we last saw them as. I'm sure if I bumped into some old school kids, I'd probably not recognize them at all.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
I have a photo that is, or at least was very mysterious. It was taken at a bbq my wife and had shortly after we got married. One photo I took showed a mysterious woman seated at the picnic table whom I could not for the life of me identify. My wife said that's Kia, my good freind's stepdaughter whom I've known since she was 6. Once she said that, I could see it was her. I think because I had always thought of her as a little kid, even though I recognized her in reral life, I always saw her as a little kid, but in the picture she was a woman.

Yeah, that's starting to happen to me now and it's scary...

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
Likewise. There's one kid in my neighborhood that I've known since near-infancy, and he's like sixteen-seventeen now. Makes me feel old, which is even worse when you're only twenty-three and have absolutely no business feeling old yet. :roll:
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 07:14:52 PM »
If this is the World's top ten most mysterious pictures ever taken, I think we're doing okay  :P

It may be possible to occasionally see spirits or something evil/demonic in pictures. Quite possible that some of those pictures that were taken would have some sort of ghost, spirit, whatever in them.

Ghost Hunters get into that stuff, obviously. With the internet, and what you can do, sometimes it's hard to believe what you read on it. Were they ......what's that word, that means they edited it? Some p name I think. I know what photo bomb is, but this is something else.
One word is doctoring it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets