Author Topic: Descent III Cinematic Audio (in FLAC) finally released!  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
Descent III Cinematic Audio (in FLAC) finally released!
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:28:36 PM »
Hail brothers, I bring tidings of glory! \o/
I recently contacted Tim Jones, the composer behind the cinematic audio from Descent 3, in a quest for the source audio and the amazing intro we all know and love. Luck was with us, and he had the original wav source files, and was kind enough to release them in FLAC for the community!

NOTE: I've removed this file from my puush account. You can download the Descent 3 Soundtrack in my compilation release here to acquire these tracks:
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php/topic,1255.0.html

These are the tracks present in the archive, and my notes on them:
01 D3 Captured = Ending Cinematic - Start
02 D3 Battle Ensues = Ending Cinematic - Guidebot (When the guidebot flies up and spams flares)
03 D3 Requiem = Start and End of Intro Cinematic - Tim said he must have cut this file down. He's going to check and see if he has the CD backup still. Chances of getting the full track are low but we've got the high points of this amazing intro track.
04 D3 Exodus = Level 5 Cinematic (They Think We're Terrorists)
05 D3 Red Acropolis = Level 1 Briefing Cinematic (This track starts roughly around where you see the distress signal)
06 D3 The Virus = End of Ending Cinematic
* Note that we are missing the middle section of Requiem (the intro song), Tim is going to take a look for his CD backup of the tracks if he gets the chance.

Please extend your thanks to composer Tim Jones for taking the time to find and release these files for us. You guys can check out more of his work and future projects at http://www.jonestimjones.com/.
If you like the tracks, please drop your appreciation here and I'll send him a link to the thread!

~ Iron_Ian
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 05:53:48 AM by Iron_Ian »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: Descent III Cinematic Audio (in FLAC) finally released!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:42:56 PM »
Ohh thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I have been DYING for a copy of that BEAUTIFUL piece in the beginning! The song is so fitting to the old Pyro-GX and an unconscious MD hurdling towards the sun and this beam of strength just GRABS hold and brings him back to life. This song always brought a tear to my eye when I heard it and has haunted me for years, and now it has a NAME! Requiem. My life is now complete! EXCELLENT haul!!! Way to go!!!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Iron_Ian

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:08:12 AM »
Ohh thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!! I have been DYING for a copy of that BEAUTIFUL piece in the beginning! The song is so fitting to the old Pyro-GX and an unconscious MD hurdling towards the sun and this beam of strength just GRABS hold and brings him back to life. This song always brought a tear to my eye when I heard it and has haunted me for years, and now it has a NAME! Requiem. My life is now complete! EXCELLENT haul!!! Way to go!!!

Haha I'm glad I wasn't the only one, I freely admit I shed a few tears when I watched the Pyro-GX melt into the sun. One of the moments in gaming history that most affected me. I still wonder who was responsible for the the chilling vocals at the beginning.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:55 AM »
Hail brothers, I bring tidings of glory! \o/ [etc....]

Win. Just win. ALL the win right here in this one post. Win, win, win, win, win, winny-win-win, WIN! And some MORE win for good measure. For once, my computer could not download these files fast enough, I was so excited to listen to them.  ;D

Many, many, MANY thanks for getting in contact with Mr. Jones in obtaining these files and for sharing them, and equal thanks to Mr. Jones for saving the files, and then  generously sharing them with us as well.   :D

As for the missing part of the intro song...I actually don't mind so much. We got the best parts, and if that's all we ever get, I can live with that. Besides, I have long had files that contained selections of those missing parts (granted, though, with some of the sound-effects left in [but oddly not all of them]) so not entirely missing out here. Still, best of luck to Mr. Jones in hunting down those remaining parts of the intro.

Either way, this find-and-a-half is going to keep me musically satisfied in life for a good while. ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
An oustanding first post, and thank you so much for sharing this with us. And Welcome to Planet Descent!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets