Author Topic: Favorite anti-virus?  (Read 17469 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Favorite anti-virus?
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2013, 07:49:41 AM »
There's just no way that installing 1 game would noticeably slow down your computer unless there was an existing problem. Maybe the game installed some anti-cheat garbage that runs in the background at startup. Maybe your AV was a bit too overzealous with on-access scanning. It's impossible to say for sure here, but there's more at fault than just the OS. It's also worth noting you're talking about an OS now 4 versions old.

It could be the RAM that slowed it down, since Windows is (or was) known for being a RAM hog.

Yes, it is an older version. I have very very little knowledge in anything beyond Vista. I had 7 at work, but I ran one simple program on it. I can barely even judge Vista. I just had issues with some things on Vista, and gave up early.

To anyone reading this. I am not bashing Windows, and praising Linux. It may seem like it. I just prefer a system that runs pretty nice.
Windows 7, from what I heard, is a great OS. Like I said, I never really used it. so it may be a great one. Vista bombed. I think most can agree to that. And Windows XP Pro (64bit edition) was great!
Not sure what did it, but going from XP to XP Pro 64bit in a Descent 3 game online, sure made a difference.
The games were smoother, and a lot easier to play.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 07:53:42 AM by Linux-Blue »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »
Installing a game doesn't change the amount of RAM windows uses unless the game is running or the game installed something that runs at startup.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2013, 05:54:15 AM »
yeah. I'm not sure why it started to slow down to be honest. I just remember it doing so.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets