Author Topic: Favorite anti-virus?  (Read 17470 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Favorite anti-virus?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 06:29:31 PM »
I'm not trying to be annoying.  Are you trying to be insulting?
I'm trying to say that people are allowed to have their preferences.  Just because you like to use your computer a certain way doesn't mean EVERYBODY should have to use their computers that way.  I like Windows Vista the way it is, and that isn't a crime no matter how much you might want it to be.
Why should you try to force everybody to configure their computers your way?  Do you really not see the arrogance in that?

I don't want to get into a big argument over this.  It's silly.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:33:48 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 06:56:00 PM »
Too late.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
Lol yeah.

But I will not take holier-than-thou attitudes and "My way is the right way, any other way is wrong" talk from ANYBODY.  Even somebody on my buddy list.  I am properly pissed right now.
I'm sorry, but I'm trained to get mad.  For somebody like me, not getting mad means people just walk all over you.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:23:32 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 08:07:59 PM »
In other news, the old Audigy-2 Creative drivers apparently can't stand the new multicore CPU, SIGH. So whether it'll all work is a matter of drivers that work...

Speaking of drivers, I notice that I am unable to record audio from stereo mix anymore. Only options are "Line-In" and "Microphone". I want to be able to record mixes I do, or other "What-U-Hear" things from my computer. What kind of driver do I need for this? Or is this not a driver issue?

I like Windows Vista the way it is, and that isn't a crime no matter how much you might want it to be.

It should be. :P I'm sorry, but Vista royally sucks arse. Every big company comes out with their biggest regret, and Microsoft's Vista is like Cadillac's HT4100 engine of the mid 80s.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 09:25:35 PM »
Yeah, I get why people don't like it.
But I don't have a problem with any of that stuff.  We all know how different my tastes are from most people.  So lock me up, officer. :P

Hey, if ignorance is a form of insanity, S-Priest and I should both prove we're sane.  After all, neither of us wants to argue with a madman!  (Well, I might, but that's a whole other argument...)
So... if ignorance is insanity, then let's define sanity as not being ignorant.  If S-Priest can answer these three questions, I'll accept that he's not ignorant of anything, and therefore he is sane, and therefore he is worth the trouble of an argument.  If he doesn't answer them all correctly or if I fail his test then unfortunately, we will have proven ourselves ignorant of existant matters, and thus not sane.

So my test is, three very different questions.  An academics battle, if you like.  Or a google battle, as it could be.
All these questions have actual objective answers by the way.  And I do know the answers to them all, whether or not I turn out to be sane.

1. What are the two most common names of the animal known as Paradoxurus hermaphroditus?
2. What do the vast majority of psychologists agree about concerning Freud's theories?
3. What is my deepest desire?

So there you go!  Prove you're sane!  Everybody else is welcome to try too.
Am I trying to be annoying now?  Maybe.  But you've got to admit this makes a dangerous amount of sense.

@Texace again -- I'm-- Oh crap I don't know the answer to your question!  I never bothered to learn how Audigy 2 drivers work because I've never had an Audigy 2!  I'm ignorant!  I guess I'm not sane...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:27:36 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 09:44:57 PM »
SIGH. That was exactly the in-joke of the reply. As in, everybody can have their own insanity even if it involves carelessness, which is a form of madness technically. There was no imposition whatsoever of a given Windows setup on anyone (in case you haven't noticed, there wasn't even anything too specific mentioned). It's you who's seeing red where there isn't any.

However, a bit more seriously...

Everyone ought to care about this world and harmony in it, that's a basic. But as they don't, well, insanity slowly but surely engulfs them. Delivered through perverted interfaces of something like W8 or Vista or whatnot. That, sadly, is reality. Too much carelessness adds up to evil. This is how evil is viewed in classical oriental philosophy, by the way, including Chinese wisdom. Evil is not something abstract that needs to be beaten up, as the Western mythology often has it; it is the consequence of increased and uncared neglect for the details of existence.

Offline Sidhe Priest

• Gold
  • Blackstar jockey.
    • Pyromania
Creative Drivers
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 09:52:32 PM »
@Texace: try these Creative drivers. You may have to unhide "what-you-hear" in the Windows record mixer though.

Also:

- after some cleanup and re-seating in a different PCI slot, it worked. That was after a BSOD and a few reboots though. The morale is, clean your old PCI cards :-\

By-the-by, the devices here are: Focusrite Saffire 40, the integrated motherboard Realtek thingie, the Creative SB Audigy-2 gold, and Roland UA-1G. That's 4 sound devices total.

So... Now there's true EAX in all games. What matters more though, there's a hardware Soundfont synth.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 07:21:29 AM »
Ooookay... it sounded like you were attacking me.
And it's not like I've never seen anything like this before.  It's amazing how hard it is to tell online people to stick their snouts out of your (or anybody else's) business.

I agree with you about sanity in principle, ignorance of important things is maladaptive.  The question is, who defines what is important?  My pet theory is that sanity is like the ideal gas laws.  It's a nice idea but it's never really existed.  That seems to be what you're getting at though.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
The people who use Windows use it because they like the rest of it enough to not mind that.

If you don't like it and the things you don't like aren't going to get fixed anytime soon, then why not use a different OS?  Especially one that's free.  The alternative is to just keep complaining, and eventually you're just using Windows as an excuse to complain when you could have freed yourself from it long ago. 
Complaining doesn't solve your problems.  Doing something about your problems solves your problems.

I tend to agree, and maybe this matter has been addressed well enough.
I didn't entirely mind Windows, but got sick of the viruses, and the constant updates. A Linux based system (most being free) solved that issue.

Now I enjoy computers for the most part. To each their own though. Some may need one system over another, if dual boot is not an option.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 05:52:07 AM »
Everyone ought to care about this world and harmony in it, that's a basic. But as they don't, well, insanity slowly but surely engulfs them. Delivered through perverted interfaces of something like W8 or Vista or whatnot. That, sadly, is reality. Too much carelessness adds up to evil. This is how evil is viewed in classical oriental philosophy, by the way, including Chinese wisdom. Evil is not something abstract that needs to be beaten up, as the Western mythology often has it; it is the consequence of increased and uncared neglect for the details of existence.

So...are you basically saying that anyone who uses a Windows operating system is evil and/or insane, or am I just misreading it?

Please tell me I'm just misreading it.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 08:02:13 AM »
I didn't see that paragraph.  Now I'm a bit mad again.

I think I have better things to do with my time that increase the harmony of the world, than spending months hacking and then bugfixing an operating system I already like.
Like giving money to save whales, or lobbying the Harper Government to re-enact laws that protect places and species.  Telling California to protect the kit fox better.  Telling Texas to protect the ocelot better.  Advocating for people with disabilities.  Trying to end discrimination against minorities, or against sexual orientations...  Telling people to treat people as people, all the while wondering so much why they need to be told.  Or glaring angrily at Joyce Bateman (which I got to do yesterday).  But I've done almost all of these things, both online and in real life.  There's so much more out there and all of it is so much more real than Windows.

So if you're not doing anything about any of that, if you haven't experienced that, don't you dare preach about increasing the harmony of the world by rearranging your start menu.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 11:56:04 AM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »

So...are you basically saying that anyone who uses a Windows operating system is evil and/or insane, or am I just misreading it?

Please tell me I'm just misreading it.

I think you misread that. I'm guessing it basically means that people who design stuff carelessly are the evils ones, not the users.
That's how I read it anyway.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:10 PM »
I certainly hope I'm misreading it.
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
I think if you use something carelessly, that is just as evil as the maker of something designed or made carelessly. Where is the virtue in a product well designed, carefully thought out, manufactured to a high standard of quality, but in the hands of some idiot who neither appreciates nor understands the care given to it by the maker?

Or do you assume that supplier = evil, consumer = victim?

And the user could certainly be guilty of carelessly using a careless product, either from choosing the wrong product, or, in this case I think what he's getting at, carelessly using it in a manner that is careless.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 05:32:37 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 07:45:28 AM »
This is true of Windows; if you use it carelessly (like most people apparently), then it's not going to preform well. In my experience, though, Windows is actually a fair to very reliable operating system (depending on what version you're using) if you care for it properly. And I think that's what most people have a problem with Windows, they just don't want to take care of it, or feel one should have to do that much to care for it, but hey, to each their own.

Personally, I love my Windows 7. Haven't found a single thing to complain about it, ever, so much so I'll probably be a little sad to lose it when it inevitably comes time to upgrade.
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets