Author Topic: Favorite anti-virus?  (Read 17518 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Favorite anti-virus?
« on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:14 PM »
Got a new computer; Windows 8. I remember WillyP saying a really good anti-virus software he uses... security essentials... or something... what was it? And is it free? Anyone else has any other suggestions?

Also, I got this Win8 because it DOES allow me to use the old MS-Paint from XP. Heck yes. Mario Maps lives on!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
Re: Favorite anti-virus?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 03:08:27 PM »
Well, I've used both Security Essentials and Avast! Free Anti-Virus and I like both of them pretty much, although Avast! is the one I use on most of my computers.

And both are free, of course. ;)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 03:20:40 PM »
Security Essentials! THAT was the one! Thanks!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
I much prefer running AVG, despite the occasional ad ("Please Buy Me!") and occasional attempts to convince me to ad their AVG Toolbar.   I've had to clean up too many systems that had only Security Essentials.  Haven't had to clean up very many systems running AVG.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 03:47:22 PM »
Good to know. In my own experience, I also haven't had to clean any of my systems that has Avast!, so I guess that AVG and Avast! might be better than Security Essentials.

I've used Security Essentials only on Windows XP Mode and it works fine, but I use Avast! on my main OS (Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit, depending on computer) and I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 06:26:48 AM »
Ditto on AVG. It gets the job done quite nicely, and for me, usually does it's job pretty quietly.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 06:37:19 AM »
I'm sane with AVG.  It doesn't use up more cpu and memory than it has to, unlike Norton...
That's important on a computer where I'm trying to play games like Maniaplanet, that it barely supports graphically.  I don't need to turn the antivirus off to get a decent framerate.

So I stay sane.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:04:01 AM »
When I got my current laptop, it came with a free trial of Norton that I went ahead and used, just to see the results. The only thing I noticed that it did that AVG did not, though, was that it was more likely to bring up pop-up stuff reminding me of this and that, especially as said free trial neared it's end. Other than that, it felt like it preformed exactly like AVG, so once the free trial ended, I switched back to AVG...been using it ever since with no regrets.

Unfortunately, Norton hasn't taken the hint. Every now and then I still get an e-mail from them reminding me the free trial ended and that my computer is "at risk" unless I renew my subscription with them, like there wasn't any other options that I could pursue.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:21 AM »
Well that's what they want you to think :P.
Such an arrogant program...

BTW Scyphi, is your sig quote from 8-bit Theater?  It sounds familiar, and it sounds like something Fighter or Red Mage would say...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 02:15:54 PM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »
My son got a win8 laptop and I tried to install Security Essentials. However it wouldn't let me as there is something specific for Windows 8 that replaced it. Just needed to make sure it was turned on. Windows Defender, or something like that.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »

BTW Scyphi, is your sig quote from 8-bit Theater?  It sounds familiar, and it sounds like something Fighter or Red Mage would say...
His sig quote comes from a very pink and 'energetic' animated character.  No 8-bit Theater.  . . . . . . . . .  You could google the quote.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 08:14:29 PM by TechPro »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 07:12:07 AM »
Well, I'm not one to judge.  I'm still hooked on Doctor Who...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 08:58:10 AM by Kaiaatzel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 08:09:41 AM »

His sig quote comes from a very pink and 'energetic' animated character.  No 8-bit Theater.  . . . . . . . . .  You could google the quote.

Techpro would know, she's his favorite character. ;)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 02:08:08 PM »
My son got a win8 laptop and I tried to install Security Essentials. However it wouldn't let me as there is something specific for Windows 8 that replaced it. Just needed to make sure it was turned on. Windows Defender, or something like that.

Yep, the functionality of Security Essentials is now built-in to Windows Defender in Win8.

Personally, I've had zero issues with SE.  I use it on every Windows Vista/7/8 machine in my home.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
Yes, Microsoft's antivirus protection is become quite good. Not to mention it's free with a valid Windows license.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets