Author Topic: Descent 1&2 Soundtrack Remastered  (Read 3174 times)

Offline Xouman

• Bronze
Descent 1&2 Soundtrack Remastered
« on: December 25, 2012, 02:47:01 AM »
Hi,

I made arranged versions of Descent music : http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5dG0Rzg4-n13U3JNrp7qKaaiABPpyyMT

Tell me what do you think please,thanks. :D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Descent 1&2 Soundtrack Remastered
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »
Haven't quite finished listening to them all yet, but its enough to get a feel for them overall.

Anyway, not too bad I suppose, at least for the synthesized medium used. Some work better than others, and they all could stand some more cleaning up, because while I can't really say any of them sound bad, a number of them feel more...noisy than they ought to. The Europa CO2 Mine mix is a particularly good example of this.

Beyond that, I can't tell you much more, my knowledge of the particulates of music and the remixing thereof only go so far.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Xouman

• Bronze
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:12:21 AM »
Yes you're right,the fact that Descent tracks got a lot of instruments it becomes quite difficult to fix it and at the same time keep the volume up without bashing the ears,also the choir is very loud sometimes.

Thanks for your constructive reply. ;)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 02:57:26 AM »
This seems to be a very expressive and powerful soundfont you used. Did you simply apply this soundfont to the MIDI files without doing any reassignments of the instruments, or did you reassign the instruments? I ask this because, in Lunar Military Base, I would have reassigned the opening notes from something other than a vocal track; maybe a good strong trombone to follow this "symphonic" theme. It's a good idea, but reassigning instruments to specific tracks is a must in order for it to sound Kosher. I've been recently doing this myself with a MIDI soundfont editing program called "SynthFont". Compare this one I did of the same song (GAME03): http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=944

They're pretty good though! What sound font is this? The soundfont I'm using is called "SGM-V2.01.sf2".

Oh, one more thing... the key is, if you use a "Choir Aahs" vocal track, you want it to sound natural and not contorted and unnatural. If it's going to sound unnatural, reassign it to a different instrument. Certain tracks were made for string instruments and others for brass, etc. That's how the original MIDI track was written. I've found this out on my own while going through this project, so it's hard to do ALL the Descent songs in "symphony instruments" without muting tracks or altering them and replaying them on a keyboard yourself (which I have NO talent for!). Here's an example of one I did entirely with string instruments (save for drums and a vibraphone); Game17: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=934
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 03:13:49 AM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Xouman

• Bronze
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2013, 04:37:35 AM »
I used Miroslav Philharmonik on these midis,then i've listened the tracks again to decide if i keep the original instruments or not (even if a rock/metal arrangement will fit better on Descent music i think but i don't have the stuff like Addictive Drums,Ministry of Rock and others to go on) so i made them "orchestral".

I don't like your version of Lunar Military base,i think the indian feel doesn't fit with Descent atmosphere,i prefer the original but still interesting to hear a different version.

Your game17 remix is nice with the strings,i like it. :)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2013, 04:48:14 AM »
I was actually trying to emulate the original OPL3 version of GAME03 from the D1 first-release demo with high definition instrumentation, which is why it kind of sounds off because the version of GAME03 that was on the final release of Descent you're used to sounds different: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=media;sa=item;in=951

I do like the "orchestral" take on it, though. Just be weary of the mismatched "Choir Aahs". You want it to sound natural, and not contorted.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Xouman

• Bronze
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 04:21:39 AM »
Nice,it reminds me System Shock music for some reason.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets