Author Topic: Star Trek: Original Series poster  (Read 9319 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Star Trek: Original Series poster
« on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:16 PM »
Awesome.  Can you identify all the characters/episodes shown in this?

http://cheezburger.com/6696093696

I can.  Please don't think less of me for it. :P

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Star Trek: Original Series poster
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:55:30 PM »
easy. Some were main characters, some extras, some, i guess temp... that was easy.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:48:13 PM »
I wish I could.
But alas I'm not interested enough to watch anything besides the reboot.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 06:30:33 AM »
While I fully support the reboot and indeed, enjoyed it greatly too, one shouldn't still shun the original series that started it all. ;)

I can't identify all of the characters by name per say, but I can recognize nearly all of them by sight.  ::)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 10:27:52 AM »
Did I say anything about shunning?
Though admittedly the only real reason I want to watch the original series is so I can be a proper nerd...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 10:29:25 AM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »
Awesome.  Can you identify all the characters/episodes shown in this?

Yes I can, but that would take too long. It's easier to identify what does not belong, the orbital Starfleet Headquarters as depicted in the 1975 Starfleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph. This was never shown in the original series (or any series or movie) and is considered non-canon.

There are also 2 other non-canon ships floating around. The one near Stratos looks similar to the original shuttlecraft concept art by Matt Jeffries. The other one near the bird of prey looks like a kit-bash of spare parts.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 06:08:25 PM by ►PyroJockey◄ »
There are times you strive for greatness, to reach lofty goals and accomplish
noble deeds. Then there’s the rest of the times you just want to blow s--- up.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
Right you are.  Cool either way.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 05:39:10 AM »
While I fully support the reboot and indeed, enjoyed it greatly too, one shouldn't still shun the original series that started it all. ;)

I can't identify all of the characters by name per say, but I can recognize nearly all of them by sight.  ::)

On this tangent, the reboot was not the first time Vulcan was destroyed in an alternate time line.
Star Trek Of Gods and Men
is a fan fiction but is also a who's who of Star Trek with a cornucopia of actors and characters from all the different series and films. While some of the acting is mediocre it is fun to watch. As with the poster, can you find and identify all the Trek actors?

There are also 2 other non-canon ships floating around. The one near Stratos looks similar to the original shuttlecraft concept art by Matt Jeffries. The other one near the bird of prey looks like a kit-bash of spare parts.

Back on topic, the other ship near the Romulan bird of prey that I described as a "kit-bash" is a the cargo vessel USS Antares from the episode Charlie X, but only seen in the "remastered" version. Likewise the ship near Stratos is the SS Aurora from the remastered version of "The Way to Eden". I do not consider the remastered version as the "original" series. I am not a great fan of the remastered version. It's ok to improve the graphics but not to change the content. Just like the original Start Wars, you don't mess with a classic. Also when they air the remastered episodes on TV I notice they cut out "critical" scenes to make room for commercials.  >:(

« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 06:17:20 AM by ►PyroJockey◄ »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 06:33:01 AM »
Really? Both Techpro and my little brother has been watching those same remastered episodes on Netflix lately, and I've sat and watched with on more than one occasion, and while it is true that I'm not as well versed in the original series as I probably once was, the episodes all seem intact in their entirety, with any and all changes made by the remastering more superficial than anything.

You sure it's just not the network you're watching them on that's cutting scenes? Because if so, that's the network's fault, not the remasterer's

Personally, and since we're on the subject, I've been quite impressed with remastered episodes, as they give the episodes an updated feel, but still feel like classic Trek all the way through. And when you think about it, that's quite a feat to accomplish. It's not easy to remaster something and still have it keep it's original feel so accurately.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 07:00:05 AM »
Very cool poster. I can name (or at least tell you about what their character did) most of them, though it's been quite a while since I've had the chance to watch the series.

That said, I happened across part of the Doomsday episode on TV the other day, which was pretty cool.

Offline PyroJockey

• Gold
  • Old school
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 07:12:55 AM »
Really? Both Techpro and my little brother has been watching those same remastered episodes on Netflix lately, and I've sat and watched with on more than one occasion, and while it is true that I'm not as well versed in the original series as I probably once was, the episodes all seem intact in their entirety, with any and all changes made by the remastering more superficial than anything.

You sure it's just not the network you're watching them on that's cutting scenes? Because if so, that's the network's fault, not the remasterer's

Personally, and since we're on the subject, I've been quite impressed with remastered episodes, as they give the episodes an updated feel, but still feel like classic Trek all the way through. And when you think about it, that's quite a feat to accomplish. It's not easy to remaster something and still have it keep it's original feel so accurately.

I feel certain it was the network that deleted the scenes since it was an over the air (how quaint) broadcast. I will have to watch them again on Netflix. I remember specific scenes in "The Cage", "The Changeling" and "The City on the Edge of Forever" that were missing when aired.

As for the change in content, while I do like the updated graphics with CG space scenes, standardized phaser color etc.., I do not approve of replacing the existing ships with different, "better", designs. The Aurora was originally a redress of the Tholian ship. They reversed the direction of travel and added warp nacelles. They could have dressed it up in CG without a total redesign.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 07:35:37 AM by ►PyroJockey◄ »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:43 AM »
As for the change in content, while I do like the updated graphics with CG space scenes, standardized phaser color etc.., I do not approve of replacing the existing ships with different, "better", designs. The Aurora was originally a redress of the Tholian ship. They reversed the direction of travel and added warp nacelles. They could have dressed it up in CG without a total redesign.
Completely Agee.  Remastering does not make re imagining OK.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 06:22:25 AM »
All right, I'll give you that one, especially since I happen to like the original design better. :P
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 06:41:51 AM »
Actually I think that's horribly arrogant and I should probably shut my snout.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
Actually I think that's horribly arrogant and I should probably shut my snout.
Which part? The Remastering? The Reimagining? Or preferring the original design?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets