Author Topic: New Here  (Read 6625 times)

Offline rawmotion

• Silver
New Here
« on: October 20, 2012, 07:05:58 AM »
Hi People

I'm an old Descent fanatic. I'd like to play again and am happy to see that there are still people online playing!

Can I get some advice? I have the original D1,2,3 discs, but what should I use to make them Windows 7 compatible?

I see references to D2-xl, and also Descent Rebirth. Which do most people use? Which will allow me to participate in multiplayer games?

Also, what are some good places, besides this site, to find people to play with online? I remember years ago people used some game service called Kali to organize games (if I remember right)...

Thanks heaps!

Sean

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 07:19:10 AM »
For Descent 1 and 2, D2x-XL adds a lot of enhancements as well as offering compatibility with modern hardware/ OS. Some people prefer Rebirth for a more authentic experience, although D2x-XL does offer a 'nostalgia' mode, allowing you the option to experience Descent as it was originally, or with enhancements. I've never used Rebirth, and it's been a long time since I have used D2x-XL, but others will chime in shortly...

For Descent 3, I think it will work with Windows 7 without any modification other than to patch it to 1.4, though I can't say for sure. However, Thomas has created an installer that includes lots of missions, mods, level building tools, etc, as well as streamlining the installation process and installing the needed update patch. Find it here: Download Descent 3. You'll need to register on that site, read the instructions there.

And, Welcome to Planet Descent!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:24:10 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »
For deciding whether to use D2X-XL or Rebirth, it usually depends on one's personal opinion. Some favor one over the other, etc. Both will meet your needs, though, so I suppose it's up to you. But do keep in mind that, last I heard, D2X-XL and Rebirth cannot network together, so all multiplayer games would have to be Rebirth with Rebirth, or D2X-XL with D2X-XL.

I do not know which one is most favored for multiplayer.

As far as I know, D3 works well enough on Windows 7 as is.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline rawmotion

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 07:55:12 AM »
OK, thanks for the info guys!

Any ideas where I should go to find/organize multiplayer games? Are there like tracker websites or anything?

Offline (LL)Atan

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 08:28:12 AM »

Offline Eagle131

• Silver
    • E. Ruoss
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 10:37:03 AM »
Welcome to the club!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
I use D2X-XL for preference because I'm mostly a singleplayer sort of guy... and the graphical upgrades and gameplay changes, even if they're not the same as the original game, and though they are optional, make the gameplay more fun in my opinion.  (The interesting thing about D2X-XL's gameplay changes is that they seem to reflect the way the Pyro GX functioned in the Descent novels, or at least the last one which I've read, even though the developer of the project hasn't read the books -- or at least I don't get the impression he has from reading about the adding of these features, but I digress).

As for D3 which no one has mentioned, it can still run out of the box even on Windows 7, though I'm not sure how it takes to 64-bit Windows; I haven't had the opportunity to test that.  Still, in order to play multiplayer you have to apply patches, download the maps that are being played, install the Vortex tracker client (PXO went down a long time ago) etc... there's an installer on www.dateiliste.com which includes all of these things and lots of other useful tools but you have to prove you own the game.  However, if you sign up there and follow the instructions I may be able to put you on the fast track, so to speak...  Just make sure I know who you are (on that board and most others I'm called Alter-Fox).

Offline rawmotion

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
Thanks for the info!

I just put a request for downloading your D3 installer on dateiliste, my username on there is Eulogy.
 ;D

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
Hello and welcome!

Kali is still around, and there are still people in the Descent chatroom in Kali, but stay as far away from there as you can unless you feel mean and nasty and want to troll people.  Neither of the latest source ports work on Kali anymore since they removed IPX, if I remember right.  Kahn, on the other hand, is completely and absolutely dead.

The Descent 3 IRC channels are still around.

The alternatives today are still in the process of being made.  Right now it seems we use two mumble servers: the Descent Rangers mumble (great for if you want to get into a lot of D1 and D2 games) and the DXX-Rebirth mumble.  The Descent Rangers are pretty active nowadays.  There is not a day that goes by without a game.  The Descent Task Force is working on getting an IRC going.  Some of the older Kali members are in on it too.  Tylosaurus/Obi-Wan/Gold Leader says it's gonna be the new Kali.

D2X-XL is excellent for single player in D1 and D2 if your computer can handle it (though you can turn off all the special graphical effects in it if your computer can't do em).

But for multiplayer, you'll probably find more games using Rebirth.  It is what both the Descent Rangers and the Descent Task Force use.  If you're interested in D2X-XL multiplayer, you should probably join the D2X-XL Steam group and their Steam chat.  I think that's where they organize stuff like that.

I personally don't play XL so much since I got fed up with it (*and could never find any games for it anyway*), but that doesn't mean it is bad.  It's great.  I just prefer Rebirth because it is so much easier for me.

For D3, if you plan on using the mouse, you'll want to use a program called XMouseButtonControl, and follow the directions here: http://descentbb.com/viewtopic.php?t=4315 because if you do not use a program like this, your Fusion charges and MD zooms will randomly "cancel out".  Now, nobody uses MD zoom, but Fusion charge is a *must*, so if you use mouse, get it.  If you do not use mouse, don't bother.

The vortex client works for connecting to both D3 games and chats and mission-grabbing:
http://www.slyclan.de/

Descent Valhalla has a ton of resources for all three games, including a chat and tracker and downloads including the level editing tools, modding tools, a huge selection of missions, etc.
http://www.descentvalhalla.com/

Enjoy!
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »
The Descent 3 IRC channels are still around.
Though generally with very little descent-related content.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 03:30:35 PM »
Yeah.. true that.

Almost as bad as Kali, where it's just JinX, Ashes, DJ, and Price trolling Vrooden while he rants about how the Democrats are driving us into the ground blah blah yak yak etc.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 08:55:30 PM »
Yeah.. true that.

Almost as bad as Kali, where it's just JinX, Ashes, DJ, and Price trolling Vrooden while he rants about how the Democrats are driving us into the ground blah blah yak yak etc.
Sounds kind of like my Facebook feed on some days... Dunno how I ended up with only out-spoken far-right republicans on my friends list...

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »
My wonder is why this community in particular gets so political.  My best answer is that we have a good distribution of people from all parts of the political spectrum.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:41 AM »
Personally, I hate politics. It makes me angry every time.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:52 AM »
Welcome to PlanetDescent!

I use to be in the mines, so to speak, as VANGUARD. Quite some time ago though.

This is a gaming forum, but a political forum. I don't typically get offended. One side may have good arguments, and the other will diagree, and maybe for good reason. Its what you hear ane believe.
I can't say I even follow a view. Liberation is the best way to describe myself. Low on taxes and government, high on freedom.

But anyway, welcome and enjoy!

You can argue with what I said, but if a few days, we talk again because this is indeed a gaming forum. Here to enjoy ourselves.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets