Author Topic: The Ascent Project - Highpoly Descent Models  (Read 14735 times)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
The Ascent Project - Highpoly Descent Models
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »
Valhalla tower docking control to unidentified approaching vessel...

I have been a die-hard Descent'r since my childhood and, to make a long story short, thanks to projects like D2X/ReBirth I was able to relive those awesome memories. After beating both Descent I and II, I was so overtaken with nostalgia that I wanted... heck, needed to pay some form homage to these awesome games.

As a 3D artist I decided to put my skills to work and hence The Ascent Project was born as a complete remake of every single character model of the series.

It should be noted that despite having taken artistic liberties I make a point to preserve both the concept and “soul” of the original in-game models.

This project has become quite dear to me and I hope you enjoy my recreations as much as I have enjoyed making them.

I decided to start with the models from Descent II in order of appearance per the briefing screens of the campaign.

Without further ado,
For full-resolution downloads and backstory of the project and models please visit the links provided below or http://theascentproject.deviantart.com/

The Ascent Project's GuideBot:

dA link: http://fav.me/d55rix6

The Ascent Project's P.E.S.T.:

dA link: http://fav.me/d56hg73 (this one actually has quite a bit of back story)

The Ascent Project's I.T.D.:

dA link: http://fav.me/d57dz6a

The Ascent Project's P.I.G.:

dA link: http://fav.me/d58d0sx
Quite a bit of sci-fi thought went into making this guy, if you're interested in knowing please visit the dA link and read the description (you can also see/download the full resolution image!)

The Ascent Project's Bandit:

dA link: http://fav.me/d597qki
Almost 4 times more polygons than the PIG!

* * * UPDATE * * *
The Ascent Project's Smelter:

dA link: http://fav.me/d5a7wlu
Please visit the dA link of this bot and see it in full-resolution (and maybe read my little piece of fan-fiction in its description)!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:09:47 PM by TheAscentProject »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: The Ascent Project - GuideBot
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:46:30 PM »
Sweet... nice looking GB! Glad to have you on-board, pilot. ;)
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 05:42:08 PM »
Awesome! Always great to see some Descent love on dA, even more so when it's so nicely done. Really looking forward to what else you'll have to present later on. :D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
Hey, me (fox) again!  Good to have you here, too.
Just a little bit curious, does the name "A Hungry Griffin" mean anything to you?  I know it's kind of an odd question...

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 08:00:01 AM »
Sweet... nice looking GB! Glad to have you on-board, pilot. ;)

Thank you very much :)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »
Awesome! Always great to see some Descent love on dA, even more so when it's so nicely done. Really looking forward to what else you'll have to present later on. :D

Thank you :D - I was actually a bit hesitant to post in dA - I was an active member YEARS ago (s2f.deviantart.com) but I lost interest on the site after I started hearing about art theft and became an eventual victim of it. Seems they've done their work to address the issue though, so I took my chance. I'm still curious though - how's dA nowadays?

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 08:04:25 AM »
Hey, me (fox) again!  Good to have you here, too.
Just a little bit curious, does the name "A Hungry Griffin" mean anything to you?  I know it's kind of an odd question...

Hello again! No that name doesn't ring any bells... Why?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:57:57 AM »
Quote from: TheAscentProject
I'm still curious though - how's dA nowadays?

Oh, dunno, sounds like I haven't been on it as long as you have, so I don't know what things were like back then. I still hear about art theft happening occasionally, but from what I've heard, people quickly get on top of it and put and end to it sufficiently enough that the user who had their art stolen can stick around afterwards.

Hasn't happened to me as of yet, but then again, I'm not real sure my art's really worth stealing.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 09:33:57 AM »
put and end to it sufficiently enough that the user who had their art stolen can stick around afterwards.

Well, that is good to hear. Thanks for the info.

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
NEW MODEL UP
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
Hello everyone! New model is up - the PEST.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: The Ascent Project - Highpoly Descent Models
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:56:59 AM »
Hmm...not bad, but I have to admit that for the PEST, I think I like the more polygonial rigidness the original had. Yours feels just a touch too sleeked over.

But other than that, I like. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2012, 09:07:46 AM »
Heh, that explains why it seemed familiar in other, non-Descent, related ways. :P

Still, pretty good. :)
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
I like it.  :)

Offline TheAscentProject

• Silver
Update!
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2012, 05:58:19 PM »
New model up!