Author Topic: Who else thinks kids nowadays are effed in the head?  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
Re: Who else thinks kids nowadays are effed in the head?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 07:34:14 AM »
It's not "kids nowadays", it's "kids".  Stuff like that happened in my generation, and my parents' generation, and their parents' generation.

There are a lot of factors involved, but IMHO the one that spans the generations is that kids who don't have a good family structure around them often end up with serious issues.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:37:58 AM »
True!
But, back then it was, boys will be boys...

Today we are so inundated with politically correct liberal nonsense, they are actually considering criminal charges! What the hell is wrong with society today, that parents can't be allowed to do their job and tell the kids, DON'T TORTURE ANIMALS? It's a g-d turtle, for cryin out loud! Does NOT mean it's 'ok' to torture it... but criminal?

A necropsy is being performed and the remains are being kept in case they’re needed for the criminal investigation. Animal cruelty is a state jail felony.

This is what we are wasting taxpayer money on. Give me a break.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
  • Just who the hell do you think I am?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:02:31 AM »
Be careful, you might hurt some poor sea urchin's feelings.
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
The second recorded sin, that I can recall, is Cain killing his own brother.

Things have been horrible for many many years. We just hear more because of the internet, etc.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 08:07:08 PM »
True!

Today we are so inundated with politically correct liberal nonsense, they are actually considering criminal charges! What the hell is wrong with society today, that parents can't be allowed to do their job and tell the kids, DON'T TORTURE ANIMALS? It's a g-d turtle, for cryin out loud! Does NOT mean it's 'ok' to torture it... but criminal?

A necropsy is being performed and the remains are being kept in case they’re needed for the criminal investigation. Animal cruelty is a state jail felony.

This is what we are wasting taxpayer money on. Give me a break.

Yep... it's criminal because parents aren't technically allowed to spank their kids anymore. That's [sissy helium voice] child abuse! [/sissy helium voice]

It's not "kids nowadays", it's "kids".  Stuff like that happened in my generation, and my parents' generation, and their parents' generation.

There are a lot of factors involved, but IMHO the one that spans the generations is that kids who don't have a good family structure around them often end up with serious issues.

And over 60% of "families" are broken nowadays. This stuff and this kind of behavior is more and more common, sad to say. Society is spiraling down. Sure it's happened for generations but it's only increasing more and more exponentially because our kids are seeing that it's "OK" to beat mommy, or it's "OK" to leave your wife, or it's "OK" to cheat, steal, and their kids will do the same until all the good ones with moral values will be a VERY small minority.

And FYI, one girl was involved in this too. Personally, I think they should do some sort of community service at the zoo under supervision of an adult to be taught the value of the life of smaller creatures. If it were my child, they would get a fair spanking on the ass, they'd be grounded ALL summer: no video games, no TV, no movies, no vacation, no candy, no birthday presents, and NO CHRISTMAS PRESENTS. THAT would be hell for someone that age. Oh, and I'd hang pictures of that turtle's bludgeoned body all over their room, removing whatever else pictures the have up for at least the end of the year. Or, I can just not have kids and not have to worry about any of that sh**.

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 06:33:05 AM »
I was once grounded like that for over 3 or 4 years simply because my mom got mad when I didn't get ready for church fast enough. :)
Some people are like Slinkies. They aren't really good or even useful for anything but they always manage to put a little smile on your face when you give them enough of a push down the stairs.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 08:52:47 AM »
See, Enzo, I think that's the sort of thing child abuse people are trying to prevent. I agree that better discipline is required with kids than most practice, but it can always go too far.

Part of the problem is that people can no longer agree on when "too far" really IS too far or not.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 07:45:40 PM »
No, the kind of thing the child abuse people are trying to prevent is parents daring to lay a hand on their kids.  Basically whenever I let that little episode out people think my mother is an unfit parent and that God forbid she so much as dare to have and raise a child (me) because she has anger issues.

And that makes me a little bit mad myself (understatement).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
If spanking, etc. was still allowed, then all those overreactions could be spankings or worse, and I'm not just talking about you.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 06:04:53 AM »
I still stand by what I said, Enzo.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline CrazyEnzo03

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:16 PM »
Well of course discipline can go too far..  It definitely went too far when my mother grounded me like that.  It wasn't a specific "grounded for x years" thing but rather her getting mad and not ungrounding me - making a restriction on things I can do a habitual thing.  But that was long ago.  I don't even care about it much.  I posted it because, in retrospect, I think it's actually funny, and causes funny reactions.  Usually I will tell someone about this and wait for their reaction and then I get to laugh at them.

It is definitely true that people cannot agree on what is "too far".  This goes for a lot of things and discipline is one of them.

However, I just can't stand those holier-than-thou folks who go about saying, with an air of superiority, that those who spank are doing so because they are - apparently unconditionally - "resorting to violence," and outright calling those people weak willed/weak minded, sometimes even calling them stupid, and otherwise almost always implying they are stupid.  They also make out such people to be child abusers (of course, though this part isn't limited to these people) and see all spankings as traumatizing beatings.

I'm not totally against the idea of "resorting to violence" upon them.  What keeps me back is the repercussions, and I'm not only talking about the law.

It's even better when these kinds of things are said by someone who hasn't ever raised any kids (and even better when said by those who claim they will not raise kids), because then their argument becomes hilarious - they have no idea what raising kids is like.

I would like to stress that I am not against the idea of avoiding corporal punishment or anything like that (I can't think of any parents I've met whose hearts do not break when they spank their children), I just hate the kind of people I mention above.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 12:15:04 PM by CrazyEnzo03 »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 12:34:17 PM »
My ex-girlfriend that I was with from 07-08 had kids of her own and we lived together. Her 2 year old son was VERY VERY unruly and impossible, but all she did was put him in time out and have him face the wall for 5 min, but restarted the timer every time he turned around... It took him, like, 35 minutes to complete cuz he was screaming and crying. He was always testing us to see how far his boundaries were. ALWAYS testing, because he knew he wouldn't get spanked. Well, one day, he was being especially resisting to time out, so she ripped off his diaper and open palmed spanked his ass. Things got a tiny bit better after that as he knew there was this threat of pain. As long as you show your child you love them, then you CAN get away with spanking them. By them knowing there's a threat of that uncomfortable pain, they'll listen better. It's not cruel; it's tough love.

BUT, after that disaster of an experience, I never want kids anyway. I value my freedom too much.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »
True!

Today we are so inundated with politically correct liberal nonsense, they are actually considering criminal charges! What the hell is wrong with society today, that parents can't be allowed to do their job and tell the kids, DON'T TORTURE ANIMALS? It's a g-d turtle, for cryin out loud! Does NOT mean it's 'ok' to torture it... but criminal?...

I can't agree with you. It could have easily been a puppy. Killing an animal (hunting, fishing) is entirely different from torturing an animal and laughing about it. The latter shows indifference, or complete lack of empathy, which have been known to be possible indicators of a deeper psycological problem that can develop into something much more serious as the child matures. IMO, criminal charges in the form of community service without jail time (because of their age) and a physiological examination would be the right thing to do here.

Bee
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 05:40:33 AM »
Apparently you missed the part where I said it's not ok... or are you arguing it IS ok, because it was NOT a puppy? Somehow I don't think so... but if you disagree with me, that is what it sounds like...

Criminal charges but no jail time, because of their age? You want your cake, and eat it too, I suppose. Community service, what does that mean to you? Spank theses kids and send them home.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets