Author Topic: What happens to an entity when the building it haunts is demolished?  (Read 13738 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
I've often wondered about this. I've searched and searched the internet and haven't been able to find a solution. What do you guys think? If you have a haunted house that gets torn down, and it's just an empty field, what happens to the ghosts? They're there because they're unsettled, unfinished business, or for whatever reason. Do they finally pass on? Do they dissipate to the spirit realm?

Reason I ask is because, as you may or may not know, I drive a hearse, and yes, it is inhabited by an entity of some sort. Well, mechanically, the vehicle itself isn't doing that great lately to the point that if that transmission gets shot, the cost to repair would be far greater than what the car is worth, and also, I simply don't have thousands laying around to fix it. This entity is in the casket compartment of the hearse and, at random points in time, makes thudding noises, kind of like an open palmed hand slapping bare metal. Loudness of the thud can range from pretty soft, but noticeable, to loud and aggressive. It's obviously distressed about something, and I want to help it move on.

Only reason I think about this lately is because the other night, I was at a drive-thru, and the engine nearly caught on fire. I turned it off to cool, and it was billowing smoke. It had coolant, it wasn't leaking radiator fluid or transmission fluid. It wasn't leaking at all! So the thought crossed my mind. What would happen to this entity if it was suddenly engulfed in flames? It's obviously attached to this car, but it's a hearse! I have no idea why. Most people don't even get into a hearse in their lifetimes. It's gotta be either a mortician or a hearse enthusiast. Unless it's a hearse enthusiast like me, but most enthusiasts like me drive older coaches from the 60s 70s or 80s. Mine is a '90 model, modern looking Cadillac, FWD, and not the classy looking Brougham with the chrome tail lights that were made up until '92.

Anyways... your thoughts on this, or if you have any clairvoyant or intuitive girlfriends, let them read this please. Thanks.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: What happens to an entity when the building it haunts is demolished?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:25:39 AM »
I must admit the thought has never crossed my mind before in my life, so I don't know.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:57 AM »
With what knowlwdge I have bibically, I believe they just go elsewhere. Not 100% sure though.
there is a story in the bible, young man possessed I believe. They got the spirits out of him, and then the evil spirits asked Jesus if they could go inside the pigs. It apparently happened, giving me reason they would go somewhere else.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:45:36 AM »
Honey badger don't care 'bout no fire... no wait, wrong meme...

No seriously, a spirit would not likely leave it's haunted place just because of a fire, even if that place where completely destroyed and sent to the crusher... Don't you recall the ending of 'Christine'?

Of course that doesn't mean it would stay there, either... It would depend on other factors, like why it chose to remain in your hearse, what in particular drew it to that spot, etc...

It's likely in your hearse because it didn't realize it was dead until the ride in the hearse. It may still think it is in the coffin that carried it in the hearse. As the reality of an entity is vastly different from any living person, we can only speculate as to what motivates them, or what they would do in any given situation.

Other than that, I would check for a broken and or rusted spring, body mount, shock mount, fuel tank mounting or exhaust hanger. And the source of smoke could be as simple as a dirty electrical connection.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:17:16 PM »
Put in a bigger stereo. Give it something to beat the drum to.   ;D

Seriously though, a hearse is often a customized version of a large luxury car (well, as far as I know).  They have extra stress in places other cars don't and have stuff in places you never thought of because of their length and how they're setup to serve.  It's normal for them to have thumps and bangs in unexpected places and times.  It sounds like your hearse has some mileage on it (correct me if I'm mistaken) and older well used vehicles can do some odd stuff (I know), then include the 'unique-ness' of it being a hearse can make it a special ride.

Clearly, I'm not convinced of your entity (just call me mister skeptic) but I could be wrong.  Either way, if there is an entity, since it sticks with your hearse and the hearse is mobile, the only way you're going to get it to move on will be to give it a reason to move on.  What that might be, I've got absolutely no clue. Sorry.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:33:33 PM »
I'm skeptical too, but I can say definitively what I would do if I was an entity (some little white shadows, sparkling and glistening) and the building I Haunted was demolished.
I would haunt the spot where that building was demolished, and then whatever other building was built on that spot.  Cuz you can't stop the lover boy... but that that doesn't make sense, I don't even care about having a relationship.

I would also venture to guess that if I was an entity that wasn't quite corporeal, wasn't quite alive, and wasn't quite a carbon-based object, then I wouldn't be harmed in a fire.  I'd probably enjoy it, really, just for the novelty.  In fact, I might find some way to set that fire myself, just for the hell of it. (get it?  the hell of it? ... no, I'm sorry -- actually I'm not sorry, you can live with a terrible pun).  You really can't tell from this, but I'd probably be a pretty mischevious entity.  And a big pile o' them bones.  Well maybe not that big.

You know, being an entity sounds kinda fun.

Yes, this post is full of wierd references to various rock songs.  But if you remove those references in your mind, you may be able to see that this might make sense.  I don't really know, I'm not an expert on this because I'm skeptical... but I understand that my not believing in it doesn't mean that it can't be true.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 07:46:42 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:50:20 PM »
Put in a bigger stereo. Give it something to beat the drum to.   ;D

I have a 10" sub between the back of the driver's seat and the rear divider.

Seriously though, a hearse is often a customized version of a large luxury car (well, as far as I know).  They have extra stress in places other cars don't and have stuff in places you never thought of because of their length and how they're setup to serve.  It's normal for them to have thumps and bangs in unexpected places and times.  It sounds like your hearse has some mileage on it (correct me if I'm mistaken) and older well used vehicles can do some odd stuff (I know), then include the 'unique-ness' of it being a hearse can make it a special ride.

I bought this hearse on July 10, 2009 in Cincinnati, OH and rolled off the lot with 48,253 original miles (digital odometer has a spot for a 6th digit), and now currently has 73,939 miles. It is my 5th hearse. This one is a '90. I've previously owned a '79, an '84, a '72, and an '82, in that order... all Cadillacs, and none of the other ones have had strange thumping noises. Suspension is tight. Worst hearse I've had was the '82. It leaked gas and the shocks were so dreadful, it looked like I was activating a hydraulic system everytime I stopped because it bounced and bounced and bounced. I should have named that one Bouncing Betty! lol And it was black, so Black Betty would have worked too, but she was Lucille.

This one though, Mortimer II (named after my other white hearse I had, the '79) is solid. Thumping noises occur almost at random. It can be just turned off, or it can be sitting for several days. Night or day. The only constant is, it happens when I "approach" it. When I step out my front door, and it's just... sitting there in the driveway... *THUD* freaks the HELL out of my Catholic mom when she gets into her car early in the morning! LMAO!

But no, I don't doubt it is haunted by a very strong presence. I could be sitting in it with a date just talking, engine off or on, and *THUD* It isn't afraid to make itself known. I've had my fun with it, but now, it needs to be at peace. I need to contact a medium or something that'll help release it. I don't wanna take it to the Catholic church because the priest will just automatically assume it's satanic and just jizz holy water all over the bloody thing. I don't think it's malevolent, just unrested. I've heard from a friend of mine that she sensed it was a male and it was benevolent, and that it's protecting me.

I also have seen white orbs in my bedroom three times since I've had the car, but not recently. And we are the original owners of our 1985 built house, and no, no one has died in it, nor have there ever been any signs that the house itself is haunted.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:02 AM »
Who ya gonna call...

On a (slightly) more seriously note, very interesting. I'd probably be rather frightened, if I wasn't too busy being utterly fascinated by the idea of my vehicle being haunted. I've heard of haunted buildings, but never a haunted car. Then again, I'd probably be scared as hell driving a vehicle that randomly catches fire...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 02:23:37 AM »
What can I say? Everyone's just DYING to get in with a FLAMING passion!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
You're KILLING me man.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets