Author Topic: Descent Source  (Read 6503 times)

Offline Chicano3000X

• Silver
Descent Source
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:33:31 PM »
 Anyone else ever thought about a Descent Remake using the source engine? They were remaking goldeneye and Half Life 1 using the engine. I thought it would be amazing if it could be done for descent.

Redesigned levels, enemies and music.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: Descent Source
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 04:38:08 PM »
The closest we've gotten to this (remaking Descent in a modern engine) was a cool little project porting Descent to the Doom 3 engine (id tech 4), but I don't think it ever finished. I don't think anyone has ever tried it with Source, and I'm not exactly sure if we have any true Source modders here (I can do a little level design for it, but that's about it)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:11 PM »
I know Shroudeye enjoys it.
But he's the only one I know of.

I'm remixing the soundtrack anyway though!

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 04:40:25 AM »
I know there was a lot of talk about it, I think it came down to lack of support for two important features, full movement and joystick. I could be wrong.

The port of the doom engine (Into Cerebron (sp?)) looked so promising, but then abruptly ended, I guess they lost interest. It looked so close to being ready, very disappointing. I believe they actually had it working and just needed some polish and a few maps.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »
I've thought about this many times, but honestly I don't think the source engine would be great for a descent game. It doesn't have the same.. feeling.. you know..? I'm sure if you knew some coding you could get the movement just right and then It wouldn't be a problem, but I think it'd take alot of tweaking.

There's another project running the source engine named Eternal Silence which has ships that are more Freespace like. If you're really serious I bet you could go ask for their code. (I *believe* they're open source, not sure. Don't quote me on this.) And If that doesn't work, you pretty much have to start from scratch and start off from the base valve code. Then you need models, textures, ect, ect.

And I believe WillyP is right, from playing with NumberZero whom uses a gamepad sometimes, they treat the "Joystick" in the controls menu as a gamepad, and not an actual joystick. And If it did, it was very limited from what I remember, so you've got work to do there.

There was the "Open Descent Foundation" that was making their own game named "Flight Back" that was based off descent, but from what I know currently (being a part of it), I think it's dead. I tried picking it up myself, but never got the exact info I wanted on the "current situation" of it. I believe they had the Network Code working, and Physics, but I'm not sure about any actual game elements. Fun Times though.

http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 07:38:53 AM »
I'd like to see someone pick up where Into Cerberon left off (especially because I have Doom3 now and I've tried it :P).

Offline Chicano3000X

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 09:33:41 AM »
 Damn the Doom engine does sound perfect.

I guess the one real obsticle is the LUA language. Coding the ship physics. Then the modeling of enemies and figuring out how they would look like in next gen. How much detail would they have in real life. Like the class one drone. In the original, it's just a bunch of primitives stuck together. It's overall familiar shape is a triangle with 2 sticks sticking out of it.

Here's one version I made a while back:

« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:39:22 AM by Chicano3000X »

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
Actually, Fox, they specifically modified Eternal Silence's menu to allow for pure joystick controls. I don't have to do anything fancy to get it to work. They give me the fancy. I can assign every button to a command without any problems and I can tweak X and Y axis controls because they give me a graph to see what I am doing.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:27:16 PM »
I know ES does, Partly why I suggested it, but anything like Half-Life 2 wouldn't do it.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets