Author Topic: MLK  (Read 19903 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
MLK
« on: January 16, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
Right now, for me, it's 12:45 PM and "Martin Luther King day" (also known as "Civil Rights Day") is half over.

As I consider this world we live in, and the many peoples therein, I am disheartened to know the different nationalities and peoples who do not get along together.  The wars and strife, people against people, nation against nation.  It's such a waste.

I could toss up my arms and say "I'm only one person.  I, alone, cannot change this." and I'd be right.  However, if all of us were to set aside the differences and accept others (regardless of race, creed, religion, color, etc.) then we together can make a difference.

Sure, it's not that easy, but it has to start somewhere and if you're not already trying to do that, then shame on you.  Yes, there will probably always be those you will try to take advantage or insist on fighting, and there are those who believe the fighting and conflict is their religious duty because others do not believe as they do or are not of the same ancestry. 

Change for the better has to start somewhere.  I hope that all of us try to help change the world for the better.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 12:00:18 PM by TechPro »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
Re: MLK
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:41:46 PM »
You could start in your own country, where liberals and conservatives maul each other with utter disregard of the good of your nation, willing to sacrifice it on the altar of selfish ideology.

If you have managed to get your country going again instead of driving it against the wall, we'll talk again. ;)

No need for referring me to the "Euro crisis" - that's something we owe a form of reckless and darwinistic capitalism conceived and hailed in the U.S. of A. with the only goal to make the most profit out of the life of millions without any qualms.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:53:12 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:33:23 PM »
You could start in your own country, where liberals and conservatives maul each other with utter disregard of the good of your nation, willing to sacrifice it on the altar of selfish ideology.

If you have managed to get your country going again instead of driving it against the wall, we'll talk again. ;)

No need for referring me to the "Euro crisis" - that's something we owe a form of reckless and darwinistic capitalism conceived and hailed in the U.S. of A. with the only goal to make the most profit out of the life of millions without any qualms.
For people who bash the USA, you're not at all dissimilar. "It's not our problem, you started it!"

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
For people who bash the USA, you're not at all dissimilar. "It's not our problem, you started it!"
I think TechPro was trying to say that we ALL can make a difference (including you, Karx), starting with setting aside preconceived opinion/perceptions and doing stuff to help others.

TechPro is trying to make a difference, are the rest of us?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
MLK? In other words, I should stop checking the mailbox?

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 06:48:31 PM »

Ahhh... huh?  ???

Acronyms of MLK

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 07:37:51 PM »
Uh... Anthrax?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:26 PM »
I kept checking for the mail. I guess it being MLK day, there is no mail

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:55:04 PM »
I think TechPro was trying to say that we ALL can make a difference (including you, Karx), starting with setting aside preconceived opinion/perceptions and doing stuff to help others.

TechPro is trying to make a difference, are the rest of us?
Bash? I simply pointed out the obvious. You U.S.-aireans might be able to do something about it if you'd finally acknowledge it.

It is one thing to put aside "preconceived opinions", and another thing to look at facts and judge them realistically. Your country has declined in a horribly way since the beginning of the (younger) Bush administration, and many Americans seem to close their eyes and pretend everything is alright instead of looking at the obvious and starting to do something about it.

It is also very convenient to brush every criticism off as bashing instead of understanding the deep concern many Europeans have about the development of the U.S.A. You can bet your ass us Europeans prefer a strong U.S.A. over a Chinese or Russian world supremacy.

Sad thing is that you Americans mistake every input into your situation as an attack. Your concept of a friend has more to do with a servant who has to silently follow your orders and not comment on any mistakes you are making than with a friend whos input will be properly heard and evaluated.

I have given up believing there was a cure to that though.

Btw, appeals like Techpro's are a big waste of time imo. I don't believe in the good inside people. I only believe in the good God can put into (or rather: be inside) people.

Finally, I couldn't care less about your comment regarding my attitude. Not withstanding my sticking to my beliefs and opinions, I have always been exceptionally constructive and reconciling - in the Descent community or outside.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:49:44 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Darkflamewolf

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 12:24:34 AM »

Btw, appeals like Techpro's are a big waste of time imo. I don't believe in the good inside people. I only believe in the good God can put into (or rather: be inside) people.

I didn't know you believed in that.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 01:34:10 AM »
Not sure what it looks like over there Karx, but over here I don't know anybody who doesn't think something's terribly wrong.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
Massive unemployment?

Thousands and thousands who have lost everything due to the real estate bubble having blown up?

Biggest public debt ever in the history of the U.S.A. - to the brink of bankruptcy?

Massive dependency of U.S. finances on Chinese money?

The U.S. of A. losing their ability for dual military strikes (i.e. sustaining two different war theaters)?

Constitutional rights being undermined (patriot act)?

What else does it take to open your eyes?

A huge asteroid erasing New York?

Tsk.

Dude, your response seems rather unqualified to me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 04:38:19 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 07:44:49 AM »
As much as I hate to admit it, Karx is right. The USA is in a bad place, and it seems most of us Americans don't seem to understand the gravity of the situation, especially the politicians, who are, as Karx said, ripping each other apart in a mad attempt to grab power and not much more. I dare say some are using our current problems as leverage to get what they want, and that's not a good thing. Furthermore, I've been following the campaigns for the next presidential election, and I have to say that even if I'm wrong about those pesky politicians, we're still not better off, and I have little confidence in everybody that's running thus far. They all seem to think the situation is a little matter that can be quickly fixed with one quick-fix solution, but there IS no quick-fix solution, and until they realize that, I'm greatly afraid that things are just going to get worse before they get better. These are problems America has been trying to ignore for a couple of decades at the very lest now, much farther back that Bush Jr. actually, and we've let them get so bad they're on the verge of being out of control, if they aren't already. And yet we still have the gall to underplay the seriousness of the issue.

Karx is right to be worried. If this keeps up, I honestly have a hard time seeing America holding together.

And if we fall, who do you think is going to take our place? No offense to the Europeans, but I don't think they're in a position to do it at the moment.

However, that said, Techpro is right too, and that the only way we're going to fix this is by learning to work together, and I think that's part of the reason we even have MLK day anyway, because that's what MLK was working to do, and I daresay he was having huge successes there, so yes, it's more than possible. The moment we think it's not possible is when we lose the battle altogether. It's not an "every-man-for-himself" situation now, never was, and never will be.

That's my two-bits on the matter, I won't repeat myself, so take it or leave it.

Quote from: Karx
Finally, I couldn't care less about your comment regarding my attitude.

This I already know, as you've made this quite clear in the past.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 08:35:05 AM »

Cynic :P.
But, from what I've seen, you're right; I've never seen an appeal like this working to do anything apart from attracting people who would have helped anyway.  Even though my belief is different :P.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 08:49:08 AM »
Scyphi,

Europe? Probably not. Rather China.

Kaiaatsel,

cynic? No way. Realistic. And I have offered an alternative. The only one, imvho.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 08:51:16 AM by karx-elf-erx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets