Author Topic: Desktops 2012  (Read 23157 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Desktops 2012
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2012, 04:33:27 AM »
Every feature of Windows was originally a separate program.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2012, 08:07:05 AM »
Further supporting my statement that it should be built into windows.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
They can't think to include everything in every program they build, nor can they afford to. For all you know, there could be a very legitimate reason why Windows excluded such things.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2012, 09:54:13 AM »
Shouldn't need to install a program to add functionality that should've been included in the OS from the start.
That's easy to say, but is complete "bunk" (false/incorrect/bull/etc.).   No offense.

There has never been an OS that didn't do what you have stated they should not.  In every OS (any OS of which there has been multiple versions) the OS makers built-in what options/features they felt would be good and useful but cannot think/imagine all of the options and abilities that users might think of.  There may also be limitations to what can be done at that time.  Then, with the next versions they build in better and/or more features and abilities, many of which are often available as separate programs/add-ons that others came up with originally.  This is true of all versions of Windows, all versions of Apple OS (anyone here remember using that?), all versions of Mac OS, and especially with all versions Linux.  The list goes on.

Just because you or I think it was logical and should not have been left out, does not make it a reason that "it should have been there from the start".  That's akin to saying the OS developers should have better than 20/20 vision of what users will want and need.

Again, no offense meant.  If my comments are offensive to you, my deepest apologies.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
They can't think to include everything in every program they build, nor can they afford to. For all you know, there could be a very legitimate reason why Windows excluded such things.

Microsoft?  Have legitimate reasons?  Never!

Just because you or I think it was logical and should not have been left out, does not make it a reason that "it should have been there from the start".  That's akin to saying the OS developers should have better than 20/20 vision of what users will want and need.

It's better to respond with vague metaphors.  If you were saying, for example, that you want the people making computer chips to have the eyes of falcons and the hands of racoons so they can assemble components tinier than anyone can imagine, you haven't thought it through.  If you were able to give someone those abilities, you'd probably much rather give them to yourself than some random stranger who makes computer chips.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2012, 06:17:21 AM »
Those kinds of programs have been around for years though, it's not like I'm just out of the blue saying "OMG Y U SO DUMB Y U NO ADD DIS BY NOW?" As for cost... That's not a legitimate excuse for one of the world's largest software developers, at least not for something so minor in the grand scheme of things.

Not that it really matters anymore, now that microsoft has decided desktops are old-fashioned.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2012, 04:20:50 PM »
Old fashioned or not, I still changed my desktop today.

Original (and many others) can be found at InterfaceLIFT.com.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
Finally changed my desktop, I was getting sick of the flag (yes, only a Canadian could get sick of his own country's flag :P).
http://www.planetdescent.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=924
The observant Whovian will notice that my Vortex shortcut now has some sort of referential significance, though you may have to go to the gallery page to view the image full-size in order to make it out...  Technically it's a reference to a specific episode but I wouldn't expect anyone who isn't a conspecific (or even a conpersonic, for that matter) to get that.  But if you can correctly tell me which specific episode it is you get some sort of nonexistant prize.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 06:17:59 PM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2012, 07:42:41 AM »
I know roughly what you're referring with that, but no, I can't name a specific episode with it per say.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:35 PM »
One last look at my (daily changing) October 2012 wallpaper before the November one takes in effect...

http://texace146.deviantart.com/#/d5jl7eu
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2012, 04:15:23 PM »
November 2012 Wallpaper
World 11: Miser Industries, Inc.

See my DA account for the full storyline.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Because, despite popular belief, they really can be epic.

And because it's season threeeeeee.  ;D

Otherwise I would've totally stuck with my last desktop.
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »
December 2012 Wallpaper
World 12: Chronepoch Temple

>> This would normally be a winter-themed world, but with the Mayan end-date approaching, I created this "alternate dimension" world that contains the elements of earth, air, fire, water, spirit and time. The levels are in roman numerals and there are only 21 of them because if the world ends, well, then this is it. However, if we are all here December 22nd, there's the traditional "Winter Wonderland" map that will be posted afterwards.
Edit: Well, apparently it won't let me upload the .PNG file because it's 922kb. I don't get it seeing as all the others I've posted were always the same dimensions as this one, but oh well... here's a link: http://texace146.deviantart.com/#/d5n0hg6

Also, Toad has taken over the main character now since Luigi was killed by Bowser on World 11-29. Click here to see what happened:
http://texace146.deviantart.com/gallery/40363684#/d5mo1ll

Also, I'm currently working on building a new map for World 5 from scratch. If you've ever played Super Mario Bros. 3 before, you'll see a very familiar layout in the northwest portion of the map as a tribute to the original World 1. You can view what I have so far here and get a sneak peek at exactly how these maps look like in their construction stages: http://texace146.deviantart.com/gallery/39336075#/d5l38nz

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 11:20:35 AM »

(In Halflife 1, I'm currently in the chapter entittled, Forget about Freeman)
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 03:04:34 PM »
New one!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets