Author Topic: Omega Cannon in D2 Counterstrike Level 10?  (Read 13237 times)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Omega Cannon in D2 Counterstrike Level 10?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 08:11:31 AM »
Quote from: Alieo
What happens when a robot kills you after the boss robot or reactor blows up and the countdown is still going. Do you still regenerate and go back to start? Or, does it go right to the "You died in the mine. Your ship and it's contents were incinerated." message? I forgot.

It goes right to the "You died in the mine" message. I know this because in the first Descent level I ever played (D1) I had this happen to me.

What's sad was that it was that it had no robots in it whatsoever. I think I died by blowing myself up by mistake (Hey, it was my first time playing the game ever).
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 08:27:16 AM »
The first time I played D1 I was, like, 5 or 6, and I thought the red door in level 1 was a window.
When I figured out it was a door, got inside, and blew up the reactor, I had no idea what to do next :P.

A year later my next-door neighbour showed me how to complete levels.  But of course I had no concept of the reason for saved games.

Scyphi is right with regards to bosses if the countdown is already going.  If a boss kills you at the same time as you kill it, you can still have time to respawn before the boss's death roll finishes and the countdown starts because the boss's death roll is longer than yours (I've done this several times).  Once the countdown starts you're out of luck though.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
Do death explosions do damage in D2? That'd help too.

Only certain robots, actually.  And I don't think the fireboss's lair contains any of them.  He does generate seekers when you hit him, and they usually drop mercury missiles when they die.  Also, I think both he and the ice boss make bulk destroyers -- which drop gauss cannons.  Even so I'd love to make a level where you need to beat him by somehow luring omega defense spawn to hit him instead of you.
I was actually talking about your own death explosion, not the robot's :P

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 02:14:02 PM »
The first time(s) I've played Descent:

1-I was also 6.
2-Scared the hell out from the robots. Especially the lifters!
3-I didn't knew what to do when the Reactor blows, and gazed to the open Exit tunnel at level 1! (I didn't know that much English back then... seriously! :D).
4-Before that, I didn't even know I had to blow the Reactor.
5-Couldn't locate the Exit door at level 2.
6-I didn't even knew that I could STRAFE!

Looking back... did I grew up? :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 02:50:17 PM »
Do death explosions do damage in D2? That'd help too.

Only certain robots, actually.  And I don't think the fireboss's lair contains any of them.  He does generate seekers when you hit him, and they usually drop mercury missiles when they die.  Also, I think both he and the ice boss make bulk destroyers -- which drop gauss cannons.  Even so I'd love to make a level where you need to beat him by somehow luring omega defense spawn to hit him instead of you.
I was actually talking about your own death explosion, not the robot's :P

In that case, I'll just point out that your explosion is deadlier than an omega-defense-spawn's... and your rammingness is deadlier than a diamond claw's diamond-tipped-claws.  I've experimented in multiplayer.
On that note, I want to make a multiplayer mode where your ship is modified to drain energy from your opponents...
Of course, that doesn't work if all players can do it, so I need some way to either have only one player do it (maybe like that DXX-Rebirth "Bounty" mode), or have the ability only "active" when some condition is met.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 04:02:08 PM »
Sounds like a "Backstabbing" Mod to me?
Imagine that: You somehow approach a player from behind, unseen. Instantly, you hit him with your Drainer-weapon (Which has a cool name; like Impulser, Stripper (..?), Bandit, etc.)... And leave him fully dry!

Or, just place one weapon that won't respawn. A player picks it up, and has an advantage over others... 'till killed.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:38 PM »
No weapons respawn in D2 so you have the advantage when you hoard them all.

I think that you should also steal one of his weapons, a piece of equipment, or a couple of missiles to boot like the Thief Bot. Game type should be called Bandit.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 11:16:39 PM »
On that note, I want to make a multiplayer mode where your ship is modified to drain energy from your opponents...

You would want that feature wouldn't you, E-Bandit in a previous life!  :P

Perhaps you are an energy vampire in real life. Ever heard of such a thing?

http://www.drbrucegoldberg.com/EnergyVampires.htm
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2011, 04:35:34 AM »
But was I an E-Bandit in a previous life?

I could either be that, or the Scourge of the Limefrost Spiral System.  I couldn't possibly be both because there are no E-Bandits in Limefrost.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 08:08:15 AM »
Not unless you were an E-Bandit who lost his way. Should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
You're a rogue Ice Spindle Bot that lost it's way and drains energy like an E-Bandit.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 12:10:24 PM »
Lol neither of you can find the solution I actually left there!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets