Author Topic: Omega Cannon in D2 Counterstrike Level 10?  (Read 13230 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Omega Cannon in D2 Counterstrike Level 10?
« on: November 21, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »
MOVED FROM SHOUTBOX 'O HELIUM

Shoutbox
Last 50 Shouts:

14. Kaiaatsel
Today at 10:19:34
True, the Descent gameplay forum has no activity because it's all in the Box O' Helium!

13. -<WillyP>-
Today at 08:24:32
You guys should move this discussion to the forum.

12. Alieo
Today at 01:59:50
Yeah, having a full map for all D2 levels would totally defeat the purpose of a guide bot but also make it a bit more challenging too. I like that idea.

11. Kaiaatsel
Yesterday at 23:32:30
On the other hand though, having a full map for one level that you shouldn't have it isn't that bad.
I usually play with built-in full map because I think that's how Parallax should have done it.

10. Kaiaatsel
Yesterday at 23:32:29
On the other hand though, having a full map for one level that you shouldn't have it isn't that bad.
I usually play with built-in full map because I think that's how Parallax should have done it.

9. Kaiaatsel
Yesterday at 23:30:46
For the full inventory, all you can really do is uncheck everything, kill yourself, then pick up only what you should have (on level 10 I think it's probably everything but the full map because that level doesn't have one).

8. Kaiaatsel
Yesterday at 23:29:44
I see.
Umm...
If you've already saved your game there's not much you can do about it...
Maybe just drop all the guns you shouldn't have with Shift-F5?

7. Alieo
Yesterday at 15:05:01
Let me rephrase... I was on D2 Lvl 10 normally, saved game, quit, came back and started D1 Level 6 fully loaded, quit that, came back to my D2 Lvl 10 game, and I had the omega cannon... yes I know you can't have an Omega Cannon in D1, but I just checked everything in case I was going to select a D2

6. Alieo
Yesterday at 15:00:51
No, it's on counterstrike, and yep, it's probably because I started this mission fully loaded, then came back to my game with a full inventory, full map and all! lol

5. Kaiaatsel
2011-11-19, 19:09:30
Yap.  But that means you can get it.  I don't want to give away how to do it if it's a secret level -- Because I know I prefer to find those myself.

4. Sapphire Wolf
2011-11-19, 18:27:09
But the only way to get the Omega Cannon in Vertigo Level 4 is going to secret level 1.

3. Kaiaatsel
2011-11-19, 15:28:20
Wait, are you playing D2 Counterstrike or the Vertigo expansion?

Because in the Vertigo mission it's possible to get an Omega cannon on level 4.

2. Kaiaatsel
2011-11-19, 09:06:06
You find it in level 13 and there's a tricky puzzle to get it -- involving phoenix cannon (meaning that, because the level has no phoenix cannons you can't get the omega cannon from a cold start).  On level 14 it's easier to get and in level 16 it's just in an out-of-the-way room, not even a secret.

1. Alieo
2011-11-19, 05:19:43
What level does the Omega Cannon debut in D2? Because I'm on level 10, and I noticed that it happened to be in my inventory. Maybe I accidently enabled it for a separate mission on D2X-XL and didn't even notice? Hmm...

Edit: added numbers. Also, WillyP is right. Kaia, if you didn't use the shout box at ALL, and only posted, your post count could reach numbers nearing the national debt!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 02:49:18 PM by Alieo »
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Omega Cannon in D2 Counterstrike Level 10?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 05:00:33 PM »
To your last point
Umm... that's why I use the shoutbox.  It gets less annoying for everyone else, trust me.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:10:45 PM »
The Omega cannon can be acquired in level 13. IDK how you got it in 10. I've got the level on YouTube and I show how to get it.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 05:31:49 PM »
No, it was an accident. I enabled it when I loaded my ship with weapons in D2X-XL when I started another game, as explained above. But hey, I'm not going to dump it! I'll have fun using it on the Level 12 boss!

Edit: Oh, and it's GREAT for blasting those damn Omega bomb droppers and red hornets. Love it!

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 09:29:29 PM »
Lol it won't work on the level 12 boss!  You'll see.

@NUMBERZero D2X-XL has an option to build weapons and inventory into your ship when you start a game, which is nice when you just want to play a relaxing game in one of the harder levels without having to go through the earlier levels to get the equipment you'll need first.
The downside is if you forget to remove the built-in equipment before loading a save game then you'll have it all in the save game.

Also in D2X-XL you can drop quad lasers and super laser levels (but not regular laser levels :P).  I like that better than not being able to drop super lasers -- if you die partway into the level but you dropped a super laser at the start, then you can spawn and immediately boost up to level 5 lasers instead of having to go through all those matcens again with level 1 lasers.  Very useful for those of us who usually use lasers for most of the game :P.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:08:05 AM »
I love lasers... oh, yeah, and now I remember, it's the fire boss that doesn't get phased by energy attacks... I thought it was the ice boss that was like that, but I had them reversed... gauss/vulcan for Level 12, OMEGA for ice... well... if I can get close enough for the iceman... I may need to do a long range attack on that one with good old lasers.

Is it just me, or is the Level 20 boss easier than the Level 16 boss?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 07:45:15 AM »
No.  BOTH the level 12 and level 16 bosses share the same invulnerability.  It's the level 20 boss that's reversed.
And yes, he is easier.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:59:13 AM »
It's a fairly well accepted fact by the Descent community at large that the D2 level 16 boss is probably the hardest one in the Counterstrike level set, save only the final boss, perhaps. There is some room for debate on that subject apparently.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
The way I do it, he's pretty easy. ;D

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 08:08:28 AM »
...if you know how to do it right, indubitably. All of the bosses are like that. If not, though, well...  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
So... What if you manage to blow all your non-energy weapons prior to the boss... Are you doomed to die repeatedly lobbing the concs you get on spawn until he dies?

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
Well let's see, if all you had were concussion missiles and you died in the mineblast of Level 11, and were blind as a bat to find any vulcan or gauss cannons along the way in Level 12, or simply wanted a challenge, at Hotshit difficulty, 5 concussions per spawn, possibly 14 lives at level start up, that's 70 concussions missiles, yeah I bet it can be done! Either that or MD-1033 is going to have to come rescue your ass.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 01:06:09 AM »
Do death explosions do damage in D2? That'd help too.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 01:48:16 AM »
Yeah, if the bastard doesn't teleport away in time to dodge it.

Wait... that leaves me to wonder. What happens when a robot kills you after the boss robot or reactor blows up and the countdown is still going. Do you still regenerate and go back to start? Or, does it go right to the "You died in the mine. Your ship and it's contents were incinerated." message? I forgot.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:50:41 AM by Alieo »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:45 AM »
Do death explosions do damage in D2? That'd help too.

Only certain robots, actually.  And I don't think the fireboss's lair contains any of them.  He does generate seekers when you hit him, and they usually drop mercury missiles when they die.  Also, I think both he and the ice boss make bulk destroyers -- which drop gauss cannons.  Even so I'd love to make a level where you need to beat him by somehow luring omega defense spawn to hit him instead of you.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets