Author Topic: Thanksgiving  (Read 8932 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Thanksgiving
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:04:06 PM »
Tis the season ... for eating Turkey!

I love the mostly American holiday of Thanksgiving.  Every year around this time with the weather changing, the trees having lost their leaves, bitter winds picking up, snow (for some) ... it just feels 'sharp' and 'crisp' to me, with hints of expectations for something seemingly just around the corner.  It's been a while since the summer days and usually there has been a lot of work with very few breaks, so most people are kind of wishing for some relaxation, or some time away from "the grind" so to speak.

Thanksgiving is good for that (and good food to!) with it always on a Thursday which means many of us get to take two extra days off if not more (unless you work in a store, sorry).  Most folks also take this time to see family.  Good times, good memories.

Naturally, around Thanksgiving people start talking about ... giving thanks.  Well, so I shall, but mostly later.  Right now I'm gonna say "Thanks for some time to play a game!”. 

Later.  ;)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Thanksgiving
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
For me it means my hours go in the tank. I work at Dairy Queen, and in the space of about 3 weeks I went from having a 22-hour (scheduled, more like 25 in practice) to a 5-hour week now that there's snow on the ground. That's not to say I don't like snow, I do. But I wish more people would eat DQ in the winter. ::) And I wish snow didn't make my car rust :(

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 05:21:36 AM »
Hard to sell ice cream in the winter... Ya think?  :P

And yeah rusted cars suck, course it's not the snow but the salt used on icey roads, but I know what you mean! We have the same issue here in New England, and if you live near the ocean you get a double dose!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 07:22:39 AM »
3 words.  Bridge Drive In.
Come work in Winnipeg.

And... Umm... Then you get to have Thanksgiving in October.

We've had snow on the ground for weeks already.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Americans.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:25:15 AM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »
@IHateHackers: At least you HAVE a job. I've been trying to find a job in my neck of the woods, but have been striking out thus far.  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »
today is the third day of snow I believe here and I bought ice cream at a grocery store. Crazy, I know.

I was going to have a four day weekend. It's now 7 days. Lost my job a few weeks back.

update: I may have a job now actually. may be a week or so before I start, but at least I may have one.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:45:37 PM by Vanguard »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 10:07:41 PM »
@IHateHackers: At least you HAVE a job. I've been trying to find a job in my neck of the woods, but have been striking out thus far.  :-\
I got pretty lucky, I think. Best I can figure is I called back like a week before the manager finished out his hiring for the summer. I got an interview the next day, and orientation a week after that with 2 others. I saw maybe 2 other new people all summer, and that was late summer to replace the people leaving for school. And believe you me there were plenty of applications turned in...

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 07:31:12 AM »
For me it means my hours go in the tank. I work at Dairy Queen, and in the space of about 3 weeks I went from having a 22-hour (scheduled, more like 25 in practice) to a 5-hour week now that there's snow on the ground. That's not to say I don't like snow, I do. But I wish more people would eat DQ in the winter. ::) And I wish snow didn't make my car rust :(

it was cold, there was snow last night, and my girl friend and I went to DQ for dessert. Yep, ice cream.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2011, 07:47:48 AM »
update: I may have a job now actually. may be a week or so before I start, but at least I may have one.

Hopefully it's better than your last job.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 02:32:25 PM »
I really hope so too. I think the stress and whatever else came from my last job affected my mood some when I was with that girl I had talked about on here. I had felt better after the job let me go; and I am still with that same girl.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 08:27:35 PM »

it was cold, there was snow last night, and my girl friend and I went to DQ for dessert. Yep, ice cream.
Places like that really appreciate customers that enjoy ice cream any time of year :)

Personally, I never get tired of DQ and will probably get fat on it eventually... (Then again, I still haven't budged an ounce on either side of 116 for like 2 years, so...)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
I'm a simple guy.  I don't need DQ at all.  Just give me a bucket of good vanilla ice cream (preferrably French Vanilla, not a cheap brand) and a spoon ... and I'm good.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:27 PM »
I'm not big on ice cream, but my girl friend offered some, and I thought, why not get that chocolate dipped cone.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2011, 05:27:10 AM »
Hehe, can't resist girlfriends, no? :P

Winter is not an obstacle for eating ice-cream for me, just not "THAT" much. I simply prefer something hot, rather than cold.

By the way, happy thanksgiving to you guys!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 12:35:38 PM »
I can't speak for all guys of course, and can't speak on how each handles each girl. I know with some girls I have gone out with, I may have broken some dates, or did things differently.

I just know that with this one particular girl, I am much more willing to do just about anything with her. I think part of it is really just finding the right kind of girl. I'm sort of understanding her more.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets