Author Topic: issues with conversion programs  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
issues with conversion programs
« on: October 14, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Hi all,

I have been trying to convert .oof files to .3ds. I have downloaded and attempted to use oofto3ds and 3dsgen. neither one of them is functional. when I open one, a DOS window briefly flashes onscreen and closes immediately. I am hoping that I simply don't know how to set up these programs and that they aren't actually broken on modern windows systems.

Any input would be appreciated.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
Re: issues with conversion programs
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
Run the programs from the command prompt, as this stops them from closing instantly when you run them.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:37:44 PM »
If they are actually dos programs you can try running them with DosBox.  I use it to run some of the Descent utilities that only run, or run somewhat better, under DOS.

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 01:38:29 PM »
Thanks for the quick replies.

I just tried using the command prompt (I assume you meant the "run" option in the start menu, InsanityBringer) and it had no effect. they still close immediately.

I have heard of DOSBox, Kaiaatsel, but I have never used it. I will investigate.

Thanks again.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
The command prompt isn't the same as "run".  It's usually found in Start -> Accessories -> Command prompt.  It's basically a dos window (I only know one command for it  :-[ to find my Laptop's IP adress).

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »
Command prompt can also be accessed by going into "run" and entering "command." It turns out that is exactly what I needed in order to run the programs. OOFto3DS.exe has now successfully generated a .3ds of the Pig robot and I couldn't be happier.

Thank you both for your help.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:53:39 PM »
Obviously you've not used the Command Prompt much if ever (kids these days have missed out on so much... [says the old geezer]) so you might need a bit of help.

Command-line reference A-Z (for XP, but is almost unchanged for Vista and 7)

At http://commandwindows.com/ you can find some instructions, tips, and much more to help you use the very mighty command line.

Offline Yoshimitsu

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
You're right TechPro. This is the first time I have ever used command prompt (great links by the way). Luckily I have a father who has been with computers since DOS and he was able to help me. The one command I needed that wasn't on the linked list was "cd" change directory. All other necessary commands were listed in the .exe files. Using a combination of haxmed32.exe, d3tool.exe, and oofto3ds.exe I was able to get the models out of Descent 2 and into my modeling program, Rhinoceros 4. now the fun starts!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 11:05:33 AM »
techpro just called me an old geezer  :'(

lol.

I'm 29 and remember the old "command prompts", having to even hit 'win' to get into Windows.
Linux has a console where you can still have fun with command prompts.

Glad you got it going!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »
techpro just called me an old geezer  :'(

lol.
Really?  I thought I was referring to myself.  ;)

... The one command I needed that wasn't on the linked list was "cd" change directory. ...
Huh???? What the ... Holy Runtime, Batman! It isn't in the list! :o

That's freakin' hilarious!  ;D  The official online list from Microsoft, and it doesn't list the 'cd' (change directory) command which is one of the most basic commands in DOS and has been in every single version of DOS, and even exists in other kinds of OS.

Offline tueidj

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 09:04:05 PM »
It's listed by its proper name, "chdir".

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 07:38:35 AM »
"says the old geezeer". okay, not just "old geezers". but if you're an old geezer, and you remember those days, and I do, am I an old geezer?
Purely having fun here, not offended one tiny bit.

I think the reason command prompts feel natural to me is because of Linux.

chdir does change a directory? never tried that, just

cd (folder)
cd. to go back one,
cd.. to(slowly talking as I am thinking)... go (still slow when thinking).....to.............(normal speed)home was it? oh, like "C:\>" that's it!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:48:48 AM »
Unless cd. is different than cd .. then cd .. goes up a directory. Do go home you would cd C:\

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 11:55:03 AM »
You can access root faster by just typing the \ on the right drive. cd . is pointless as . indicates "current directory" while .. indicates previous directory.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 12:04:15 PM »
Good old days... Wait a sec, I also don't even know how to use a command prompt! :D

But it made me remember a prank my dad told... He had pulled it in a factory he was working on, at those "ages". He had set up a code that mimicks a format when someone pressed a key... onto a very "critical" computer!

In his words: "The operator stood there for a while... glanced around (pretending to be) cool... then hastily left!"

Just a small memory I wanted to share :D

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets