Author Topic: testing new notification. testing...  (Read 3715 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
testing new notification. testing...
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:47 AM »
testing something here.. not sure if it works when it's my topic being created.

I don't think it does. There was a problem I saw earlier; but never bothered to bring it up because I knew about this change. I'd like to say the "new" didn't work too well. I'd see the blue sphere in "technical", go to it, and then not even see "new" by any topics. I don't think this happened all the time either.

That was before the change. May be all good now.

testing this "hide enclosed from suspicious visitors" and other

[suspicious]"you can't see me"[/suspicious]

does glow work?
shadow?

spoiler should be simple

[spoiler]If you're reading this, you hit the button[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:35:21 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: testing new notification. testing...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
Actually, it could be a case of the 'new' working all TOO well. It'll mark any thread that it knows you have not seen as having unread posts for as long as necessary until you actually read them.

I know this, because I know there are some threads from WAAAAAAY back at the beginning of PD.net that I never bothered to read (I think they were testing technical stuff, so that's why) and they are still marked as having new posts today.

Well, they did before the upgrade, not sure if they're still there now. Maybe I should check.

However, this did not light up the whole forum section (ex. Mess Hall) as unread. I think it'll only do that until you actually visit said section, then whether or not you've actually read all the new posts in said spot, it'll stop marking the section for containing new posts, but not the individual threads within, if you get what I'm saying here.

But then again, this does involve the Technical section, and I never visit there (as I rarely have anything I could add there) so much so that I just hide the whole section from my view, so I never even see it's sphere. That said, it's possible it's lighting up when it shouldn't and I just hadn't noticed...
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 03:40:28 PM »
The "unread posts" marker acts much different in SMF than in other board software. Personally, I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Most other boards will light the "unread posts" indicator for the entire section if any thread is marked unread in the section. You can click a "mark all posts read" button if you want to just mass-disable the post markers.

My experiences with SMF 2 at the DXX-Rebirth forum indicate that they still likely use this system, but maybe they changed it. I don't know offhand.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 07:20:32 AM »
Quote from: Me, Myself, and I
I know this, because I know there are some threads from WAAAAAAY back at the beginning of PD.net that I never bothered to read (I think they were testing technical stuff, so that's why) and they are still marked as having new posts today.

Well, they did before the upgrade, not sure if they're still there now. Maybe I should check.

I checked. They're still marked as unread. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:33 AM »
I don't think I see it again. I'll see in time though.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
Probably they changed it from 'unread since last visit' to 'unread'. But you can click on 'Show unread since last visit' above.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure, at least before, sections showed unread only if there were unread posts since the last visit, but individual posts stayed unread forever.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:04 AM »
Exactly, which is what makes what Vanguard describing a touch odd...  :-\
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 08:50:17 AM »
I'd like to say that I saw a dark shield orb (indicating new topic/reply) in let's say "PD feedback", only to see nothing saying 'new'.

Maybe it's fixed. Maybe I was too tired and not thinking straight. who knows.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:04:07 PM »
On this thought, the new post shield orb is really hard to see against the light blue.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets