Author Topic: Locate Me - Edition 003  (Read 4570 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Locate Me - Edition 003
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:21:14 PM »
It's the "Locate this Descent Pic Game"  Edition 003

Let's see who can identify:
  • What Descent 3 single player Level this is a pic of?
  • Where in that level the player is at (describe as best you can)?
  • Extra bonus:  Point out something unique about the level or the location

Can you be the first to correctly identify this location?

Yes, that's a Cloak orb in the center.

The score stands at:
  • IHateHackers = 1
  • Kaiaatsel = 1

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Locate Me - Edition 003
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:50:09 PM »
-Level 5
-Secret room located in the floor on the way to reactor 3 down a big shaft. The false part of the floor looks like it is shimmering or boiling. There are 3 doors total in that room. One is near the top which you must fly through to get to the reactor. Two more are near the bottom of the room on the opposite wall from the entrance wall. The topmost door takes you to an enemy CED Stinger, but beyond that is a small energy center with 4 gunboys. The bottom door leads to the reactor. There is a napalm tank seemingly suspended by a ringlike object in the center of the room which is held in place by 3 pylons.
-If you look back up once you pass through the false wall, it has the red forcefield texture, but you can fly back through it. The ironic thing about this entire level is that you are defending the reactors instead of blowing them up. In multiplayer, you can outright sit in the starting room for the full 11 minutes because the AI of the bots goes "derp" and they forget to attack the reactors. The entire level never actually takes place inside of the main research base. You are in an underground complex set off to the side of the base. In the book Descent: Equinox, the Material Defender goes to a plasma cannon turret in the main tower and attempts to fight off CED Starhawks and approaching CED tanks and marines.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:55:30 PM by Omega »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Crash

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 01:29:09 AM »
The reactor level is kind of an odd objective.
I think I found this secret room once. I remember what you say about the floor.

I'm installing Descent3 now. It's telling me not necessarily to put the movies on the hard drive because of "disk fragmentation".
I checked the RAID and it's not fragmented enough for Windows to do much about it.
Is it something the installer always says regardless or is it actually looking at the hard disk to find out first?

I might install Diskeeper anyhow but I'm a bit nervous to incase it does something funny with the RAID.
I'm a bit paranoid about RAID-0. I don't think I would have set it up that way myself - but it is fast.

Also, are there any good secret areas in the first two missions that you can point me to? Quite often in games, you have lots of easter eggs in the first level because they know people are always going to get that far and so the effort's not wasted (I assume that's the reason). But I haven't ever found much of particular interest in the first level.

Although, I suppose you might be doing yourself out of a possible Locate Me - 004 if you tell me, lol.

Anyway, sorry to jack your thread. This is quite an interesting series of discussions.

EDIT:
I found this hilarious walkthrough, which I think has been machine-translated from German perhaps.
It has some excellent new weapons mentioned that are new to me (such as the Approximation Mine, the Vibration Missile, the Disturbing Chaff).
http://uk.faqs.ign.com/articles/110/1102406p1.html#_Toc263588084
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:13:53 AM by Crash »

Offline SpeedySPCFan

• Silver
  • T-Minus 59 Seconds
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:21:24 AM »
I'm installing Descent3 now. It's telling me not necessarily to put the movies on the hard drive because of "disk fragmentation".
I checked the RAID and it's not fragmented enough for Windows to do much about it.
Is it something the installer always says regardless or is it actually looking at the hard disk to find out first?

I might install Diskeeper anyhow but I'm a bit nervous to incase it does something funny with the RAID.
I'm a bit paranoid about RAID-0. I don't think I would have set it up that way myself - but it is fast.
I was never told that. I don't know what could be causing it. So yeah, it's not normal ;)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:07:46 AM »
Maybe the raid setup is confusing it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 05:28:44 AM »
The disc fragmentation message is a standard part of the installer.  The typical computers at the time Descent 3 was released often didn't have large enough drives, or the drives were slow enough to impact video playback, thus fragmentation was a concern.

Shortly after Descent 3 was released, bigger and faster drives became the 'norm' for most computers... which made that message no longer relevant.

Ignore that message and just let it install all the videos.  It shouldn't be a problem at all.  If it is... then your system is seriously borked or worthless, which I doubt it is.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 05:49:21 AM »
EDIT:
I found this hilarious walkthrough, which I think has been machine-translated from German perhaps.
It has some excellent new weapons mentioned that are new to me (such as the Approximation Mine, the Vibration Missile, the Disturbing Chaff).

funny how things don't quite translate well.
this is from level 5:

"The Defender now wants to take his Money – Fun, Smile…"

yes, it's fun and with a smile

I'd like to know what this means, when decribing the black shark: :)

once the fats-as-a-blizzard Missile
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:55:10 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:33:39 AM »
EDIT:

From German you say?
It looks more like it wasn't translated from treespeak. :P

Crash

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:36:57 AM »
Haha!

Fat-as-ablizzard has to be an idiom that's been translated word-for-word. Like 'armed to the teeth' or 'badass'. If you just translated that into French or whatever it would mean nothing. You would have to look up the equivalent idiom in a good dictionary.

I almost cracked up at the "approximation mine". I think it's been machine-translated because of the amount of text but there are errors in there like in the headings that machine translators wouldn't often make, like keeping compound words from a germanic language as that, rather than breaking them up into individual words like you would have in French or English.

I figured it was a stock warning that it gave you as standard if you chose "Install the whole whack".
What with it being a notebook I haven't really got time for optical discs. It'll probably demand to have it in the drive anyway, lol.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »
I was being facecious.

Crash

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
I know, it was good. - Made me laugh!

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:38 PM »
I think the "Disturbing Chaff" might be a lot of fun.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets