Author Topic: Mouse sensitivity on Descent 3  (Read 9144 times)

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
Mouse sensitivity on Descent 3
« on: September 24, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
Hi everyone!  :) It has been a little while once again.  Hope you don't mind me directly stealing your title Vanguard ;)

Well here's the problem:  The way the game reacts to my mouse is weird, I actually turn faster if I move the mouse slowly.  And if I move the mouse quickly with a flick of my hand, my ship hardly turns at all.  I have played with the settings for quite a bit, its going to be embarrassing to find out I just missed one =p

Mouse: Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
Strangely, I remember reproducing the same problem on a Windows 7 32 bit laptop, with a different mouse.  Only similarity is the same installation disc.

some_text some_textsome_text

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Mouse sensitivity on Descent 3
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »
Don't have an answer but Welcome Back!
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 02:51:27 PM »
I'd bet almost anything that your mouse driver is doing a motion acceleration on you.  What that means is your mouse driver is measuring the quickness you "flick" the mouse and is artificially accelerating it to fling the mouse across the screen.  That works fine (once you get used to it) in Windows normally, but for many games, especially older games, that acceleration code is ignored and you experience exactly what you've described (faster motion moving the mouse slowly than when you move the mouse quickly).

Mouse drivers that do this kind of artificial acceleration usually have an option to turn that behavior off.  Check your mouse driver settings.

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 07:35:56 PM »
WillyP:  Thanks hah, I can't say I'm back till I fix this though  :P,

TechPro:  Ok, so I could not find any option to fix what you said tbh...  I am using Setpoint version 5.44.5.  And my Driver version is 5.30.67. 

Thanks for the info though, I wonder how you know all these things ;)  I probably should post the question on my mouse's support forum, see if they know about the acceleration code with this mouse...

Oh and btw, the mouse acts much differently and erratic when I go into mouselook, it sounds like that's the option I'm supposed to be in?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:47:57 PM by Fennecfox »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:05:08 PM »
not sure what you mean by stealing my title. oh well.

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 05:50:46 AM »
Mouse sensitivity on Descent (D1x-rebirth)

Mouse sensitivity on Descent 3

Your other topic's title haha

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Oh and btw, the mouse acts much differently and erratic when I go into mouselook, it sounds like that's the option I'm supposed to be in?
If you intend to play any multiplayer, not really. It's restricted on most servers (co-op servers being the most common exceptions), so it doesn't hurt to try to get used to "flight-sim" controls.

In flight sim, moving the mouse pretty much tells your ship to start or stop turning, while mouselook just directly turns your ship at a speed dependent on how fast you moved the mouse, with no acceleration (you're either turning or you're not turning). This allows for much faster turns, and as a result is disallowed on anarchy servers so that joystick users don't have a disadvantage.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
The ship has a fixed turning rate -- it can't turn faster than a certain speed (unless you use mouselook).
So it's better to just get used to it.  Flicking the mouse and turning on a dime would be considered cheating on most servers anyway (these are the same "most servers" that disable mouselook :P).

I would say get used to it if you want to play online.  If you need more space to move your mouse, go out to your local tabletop/trading card game store and buy a "playmat" (which is a large-ish mat made out of the same material as a mousepad -- they come in different sizes depending on the brand).  That's the only special piece of equipment that I use for my kb + mouse setup.  They're not expensive.

BTW Welcome back

For me, flight-sim is the easier mode -- I can't use mouselook.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 09:38:18 AM by Kaiaatsel »

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
You might try using different polling rates (I see you're on 550 at the moment).

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:59:46 AM »
x2 on the polling rate, particularly if your framerate is much larger or much smaller.

Offline Fennecfox

• Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:51:29 PM »
Ok thanks for the responses everyone  :)

I'm beginning to think I never had a problem...  The mouse before this one felt completely different.  I didn't realize there was a fixed turning rate with my ship, maybe because I played with much lower sensitivity.  So what my confusion was that I expected a very fast turn if I moved my mouse very fast  ;D  I guess its probably best to play descent with a lower sensitivity, or to compensate and just have very slow movements of my mouse.

Oh, and Foil you made this response take longer because I started looking up Princess Bride clips XD

And I also had the time wasting problem of every time I opened Descent to test my mouse, instead of closing descent I had to see how many Bettys I could get out (cheated with a macro and cheatcodes to get a huge amount) before crashing.  They look soo cool! ;)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:42 PM »
Well, your ship can only turn so fast, unless you turn on mouselook. This aint no ground-pounder, son!

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets