Author Topic: George Lucas makes more changes to the StarWars films on BluRay  (Read 28935 times)

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
George Lucas makes more changes to the StarWars films on BluRay
« on: September 04, 2011, 06:34:49 PM »
http://nerdapproved.com/movies/george-lucas-makes-more-changes-to-the-star-wars-films-for-blu-ray/

This is a bad sense of a step backwards, the original theatrical editions of episodes IV-VI will not be included!  Why, George Lucas, WHY!!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:36:28 PM by Sapphire Wolf »
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: George Lucas makes more changes to the StarWars films on BluRay
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:40:30 PM »
inb4 "Han shot first"...

Han shot first, darn you Lucas!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 11:16:46 AM »
http://nerdapproved.com/movies/george-lucas-makes-more-changes-to-the-star-wars-films-for-blu-ray/

This is bad sense of a step backwards, the original theatrical editions of episodes IV-VI will not be included!  Why, George Lucas, WHY!!!!

I disagree.  Yes, the original theatrical editions of IV-VI were groundbreaking and a tremendous success and many fans dislike the changes/alterations in the re-release editions.  But keep in mind that the re-release editions included effects and components that were not possible when IV-VI were first made but were items Lucas had wanted in them.  It makes sense that the re-release versions are more to what Lucas had wanted, plus there were a LOT of fixes applied to the re-release versions.  In that article they note that a LOT of additional corrections and rebalancing of the audio are in the blu-ray release, especially to "A New Hope" (episode IV).

I, too, like (and preferred) the original theatrical, but with all the audio fixes and audio rebalancing, plus numerous corrective edits (no boom mic in the picture, etc) the blu-ray edition should be good.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
I agree and disagree. I guess some things like Jabba and Han Solo in IV has always been intended. However; I think some things like Han shooting Greedo last is something he decided to put in later for whatever reason. or Vader now saying "No" at the end of VI.
The only thing I liked about the updates, were the window views in Cloud City; like the laser fighting scenes. everything else, no opinion or didn't care for it; oh, the other one I liked when when Vader told them to prepare for his shuttle; this again, in Empire Strikes Back.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
I'll go along with that.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:15:59 AM »
*is watching Star Trek*

Huh? Oh sorry, I wasn't listening, what was that about...Star Wars, was it?  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 10:17:28 AM »
is Trek like another language for Wars? Trek? sound like creek, or wreck?

I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars, like I use to; but it's still interesting to see at times.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:10:50 AM »
What, you never heard of Star Trek? I guess that was before your time.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:14:13 AM »
I saw two episodes, on a DVD or something; a gift from my father. It had "nomad", some computer that entered their ship. I'd like to say it was "perfect', the robot that is. and that Spock ended up saying something that caused nomad to go crazy. they got Nomad out of the ship and it later blew away.
the other; Something about the beginning of time, Adam and Eve; I think. I saw only bits of that.

Crash

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 02:50:09 PM »
I think you gotta remember that people loved the originals, not these retcons.
Updating the effects is one thing but changing things that affect the story itself is a different matter.
That's not a question of what Lucas wanted and couldn't have back then because of those things weren't effects dependent.

In the same way that my Avatar bluray has 3 different versions on the disc where it includes or omits certain portions of the film depending on whether you want the directors cut, the extended or the cinema version, Lucas should be doing the same with Star Wars to allow people to opt for the updated version with some changed scenes or the 'original' with updated effects. I got the impression he isn't going to do that and he's trying to efface the originals from peoples' memories, which I think is a shame.

I've got 1080p HDTV rips of the StarWars movies and they are very sharp albeit not quite as polished as a fully remastered bluray.
At least I've got those to fall back to if he makes a complete pig's ear of it.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 06:32:29 AM »
While you all raise good points about this, I still think you guys are getting too worked up over something that, at the end of the day, isn't really that big a deal. So George Lucas looked back on his works and saw things he wanted to change. Every writer/creator does that, so can you blame him for wanting to do the same? And I personally think those first three Star Wars movies certainly could use it, as it seems clear to me that when they were made, Lucas did NOT have the universe they were set in figured out very well.

And I think Lucas knows that too, hence the continued attempts to modify it.

Maybe his methodology for doing it isn't the best by releasing only the modified versions and not the originals every now and then like Crash says, but oh well. The originals are still out there if you really can't stand the edited versions.

But of course, as I'm sure I already made clear, I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan around. I mean sure, I've seen all the movies, but there are other sci-fi fanchises (not just Star Trek) out there that top Star Wars for me fairly easily.

So I might be bias in the matter.

Maybe. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 06:41:20 AM »
If Star Trek got modified all of the time, you may not like it.

I know, when it all comes down to it, does it matter? No. Personally, I don't care much for a lot of the movies, tv shows, music, games, etc that I own. I could do a massive clean out and still not feel like I am missing something.

A lot of the modifications don't BUG me bug me, some a little more than other things. I guess I can see why he'd change things. Ever read my story? Yikes. So many changes ALL OF THE TIME. Nothing seems final.
but still, it's nice to see something we grew up watching. To see more storm troopers, or sand people; more or less robots; different ones, may not be so bad.
but to change Greedo trying to shoot Han first changes character.
Han is the type to just go and kill; this made it look like self defense. It changes it some.
Vader doesn't have to say "no" twice at the end of VI. We get it. I got it just fine. He looks down at Luke; and looks sad. He decides to put an end to it and save Luke. We get it. Hearing "no" twice is just not needed, and dumbed down the film.

Crash

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 07:00:49 AM »
Variety is the spice of life, after all.
A bit of chopping and changing just makes things more interesting for the die-hard fans.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 07:40:18 AM »
Quote from: Vanguard
If Star Trek got modified all of the time, you may not like it.

Ah, but Trek has gotten modified before.

For example, the original series got remastered, and while it wasn't that extensive, still made changes.

And unlike Star Wars, Trek has also gotten rebooted which, alternate timelines and other technicalities aside, still changes significantly the canon fans know and love.

And Trek has also gone through the care of several different people other than it's creator and was taken in directions fairly different than originally intended (Deep Space Nine is a good example) and one can argue that the same argument can stand there.

And there are probably more to come.

And you don't hear me complaining about any of it.

In fact, I fully support it. Every franchise needs a little freshening up, to be taken in a different direction, to make altercations to it's structure. Sure, one may not like all the changes they make, but that wasn't my choice to make. And if you don't like it, then a better thing to do is just not watch it, buy it, or participate with it. It moved on, and if you aren't willing to be open-minded and move with it, then logically you're going to get left behind.

While we're on the subject, I think Star Wars could stand a reboot itself (and probably will get one someday in the future, no doubt). Furthermore, I think it was a mistake for Lucas to have started the franchise with the fourth movie, worked to the end, and then bounced back and did the first three. If he felt the need to do that for the sake of storytelling, especially far enough in advance to label "A New Hope" the fourth episode, then I really don't think his idea was ready to be done just yet. If he had waited and worked out all the details and solidified his universe and started from the true beginning, and then worked to the end, I genuinely think Star Wars could be twice the franchise it is now, and seeing it's success it's got now, that's saying something.

But nope, what's done is done. And no doubt little ol' George Lucas is looking back at it all, sees he did things that now seem to be mistakes to him, and now he's trying to make amends.

And on the subject of who shot first, Greedo or Han, yeah it does change the character, but that depends on how you see the character. And to George Lucas, he obviously sees the character in a way you guys don't, and seeing he created the character, he'd know Han better than all of you. So he saw that Han needed to shoot second instead of first in order to fit how he saw the character. Who are you guys to dictate how he should write his movies? IMHO, I think Han shooting second better fits what Han's character later came to be, but that's clearly just me.

And Vader saying "no" twice. Mere finickiness on your part, seriously guys. Of all the things you could gripe about, why should how many times Vader says one word be so high up on your list? I mean, sorry if I sound bitter, but that just doesn't make sense to me. Sounds to me one just doesn't like the fact it got changed at all, which is fine, but the rest of the world doesn't need to know you can't accept the movie now that Vader says "no" twice.

*takes a deep breath*

Well, I think that covers everything. Turned into a bit more of a triad than I had intended, but I might as well get it all off my chest anyway.
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:08 AM »
not that I have seen them, but I do remember Star Trek making films/tv shows, or whatever, and new ones would come out, different characters, maybe new names.
But an actual remake? like take the classics and add lines in, and add in more, whatever there is in that show?

I agree to a point about going in order. When IV-VI were done, then many years later, I-III, it doesn't seem to blend as well.
but I-III IMO is not as good, and probably would have made IV-VI worse then.

There are some people out there; be it geeks, or whatever they're called, that likes a classic untouched. It may have flaws, who cares.
that may be partially as to why some are upset with all of the changes.

I was thinking, between Han and Greedo. Was it self defense, or did Han have every intention of shooting Greedo but Greedo shot just a hair quicker than Han?

oh well.

I don't know if much bothers me about the updates. I think the new "NO!!!" kind of does.
and VI, those songs in Jabbas Palace, and the ending music; not too great.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets