Author Topic: SICK of the Keyboard  (Read 16352 times)

Offline blessu

• Silver
  • 'dont get caught'
Re: SICK of the Keyboard
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:26:40 AM »
For what its worth, saitek cyborg...tough and does the job...done three logitec wingman extremes, hat rubbish breaks too easily...use as many buttons on stick as poss (keyboard for thrustin etc) also has twist function...so after some practice can slide along walls with a flick, also has lots of adjustment for hat and grip...anyway by the way I am rubbish but its the best stick for me...so far

'Blessu'

Offline Sapphirus

• Gold
  • The Aura is with me!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:02 AM »
My setup:
+

Works perfectly.  All thrusts are on my left hand, so tri-chording is easy/natural, and the stick works for all the rotations and weapons.

-------------

There are lots of different control configs.  The best ones allow you to easily maneuver in any combination of directions + use weapons, without straining or changing your finger placement.

Also, remember that anytime you change your configuration, it will take a while to get used to.

No offense Foil, but that Belkin N52te looks really weird. :P
I really missed my x52 (I had it from ~2005 to 2010).  I wonder if the T.Flight Hotas X would work perfectly for Descent (contol wise).  Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspx?ProductID=149
Please respect my social media privacy (facebook, steam, twitter)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:46:45 PM »
I would it would be ackward having both hands on the same side of the keyboard. If I had a HOTAS setup it would be like Foil's, and I'd put the thruttle on the other side of the keyboard.

... What do you do if you're left-handed?

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 09:01:08 PM »
I've always used KB only, default config, even in Vortex. The best controller I have is a MS sidewinder force feedback 2, but I never bother to get good at using it...

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 10:24:02 PM »
You are not going to improve with just the keyboard. It is 99% impossible to get enough control to move in all 6 axises at once and do the other things while getting shot at. The stress is too much and the clutter and reach is absurd.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
I've met some really good players who use only KB.
I guess they were better at handling that stress :P.  Anything's possible.

Personally I prefer KB and mouse to just KB, but I can't for the life of me use a joystick (and I keep trying).

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
You are not going to improve with just the keyboard. It is 99% impossible to get enough control to move in all 6 axises at once and do the other things while getting shot at. The stress is too much and the clutter and reach is absurd.

You seemed pretty amazed when I showed you yesterday.  :P
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 12:43:28 PM »
I was impressed, but still, I don't think you're gonna get anywhere with that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 12:45:00 PM by Omega »
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 03:14:24 PM »
I don't get anywhere because I don't play.  :P I should get back to it, though.
http://www.odf-online.org/ Home to Flight Back, D321GO!, and other Descent related projects, all open source!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
It's better with a PS2 keyboard. At least they can manage enough keypresses. USB keyboards will only take like 6 buttons.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 06:14:03 AM »
Yet another reason I went to keyboard and mouse, I got fed up of trying to play on keyboards that wouldn't let me press enough buttons at the same time.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
Wait, you mean you used to play with ONLY keyboard? Not even mouse? I'm fairly sure we're talking about keyboard and mouse here. I can't even imagine trying to play with only a keyboard.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 04:00:43 PM »
I used to try it in the D1/D2 days. I could never get very far with it. Level 6 in D1 was nigh-impossible, and the first boss was very hard to do without getting blown up by the smart blobs left and right.

Offline Ronin RedFox

• PotD Maintainer
  • Gold
  • Dat Red Fox
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 04:07:33 PM »
I can't even imagine trying to play with only a keyboard.

That's the way I play, and I will not change it.  :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
I used to try it in the D1/D2 days. I could never get very far with it. Level 6 in D1 was nigh-impossible, and the first boss was very hard to do without getting blown up by the smart blobs left and right.

:o
I've beaten D2 on hotshot with a KB + Mouse setup -- and I got significantly far in D1 (I think level 22) on the same difficulty before I got bored/lost my save.
(This was just recently -- last year maybe?)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets