Author Topic: SICK of the Keyboard  (Read 16351 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
SICK of the Keyboard
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:38 AM »
It's the only think I've ever played Descent in--ever. I think it's time to try something new. My keyboard only "bi-chords" so I need something better. ANY joystick suggestions would be appreciated. I want one that can do it all... perhaps two joysticks? Something with a steering wheel and a pedal? I need names of specific models please. I'm tired of getting my ass kicked in trainee mode with my bichording keyboard. I SWEAR I was able to tri-chord back in the day.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: SICK of the Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 04:37:02 AM »
I tried a dual stick gaming pad... it sucked. Tried also using my stick with pedals... eh... Now I use a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro in my left hand and keyboard right hand. My right hand hits the big + on the numpad to go forward, the 0 for afterburner and Enter for reverse. The stick has all the other movements, pitch yaw and roll, sliding with the hat switch. Also primary and secondary firing, weapon selection headlight and flare. All without removing my hand from the stick. I also have various functions mapped to the rest of the numpad keys, movements and weapons as a second option, and auto-map, rear-view, etc...

I don't think there is one stick that can do it all. Maybe with a throttle on the side? I am thinking something like this: Amazon.com: Saitek X52 Flight Control System: Electronics

Also see: DescentiaPedia: Controllers and Setup for Descent
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 04:38:54 AM by -<WillyP>- »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 05:00:03 AM »
Well, I use Keyboard+Mouse combination. My mouse is a Logitech MX Revolution, with customizable buttons. My weapon selection, firing, etc. I handle them from my mouse.

I use FPS-like WASD for Forward/Back and L-R Slide. Spacebar and Left alt are for Vertical sliding, and I use my thumb to pick them. Afterburner is assigned to Left Shift.

Edit: I forgot: Q and E for banking!

For the other surplus commands, like Automap, Rearview (I prefer screens), etc. I'm mostly using the standart keys... In fact I don't use them much, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 05:39:52 AM by Shroudeye »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:13:14 AM »
mine is sort of like WASD

W/S: Forward/Back
A/D: Slide left/right
Q/E: Slide up/Slide down

and I have a Logitech marble mouse. it's a nice one. is it the king of gaming? able to tricord? who knows, lol. I seem to like it though.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 07:00:41 AM »
Like Shroudeye, I use a keyboard/mouse combo, with, as I recall, most of the default keys kept.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 07:59:24 AM »
My setup:
+

Works perfectly.  All thrusts are on my left hand, so tri-chording is easy/natural, and the stick works for all the rotations and weapons.

-------------

There are lots of different control configs.  The best ones allow you to easily maneuver in any combination of directions + use weapons, without straining or changing your finger placement.

Also, remember that anytime you change your configuration, it will take a while to get used to.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:05:01 AM by Foil »

Offline Bagheera

• Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
Kb + mouse

I use wasdc w/c is is slide up down a/d left right s is reverse thrust, and left shift is afterburner. Right mouse button is fire primary and left is accelerate.

Just a regular ole logipwn mouse here...my joystick config is similar, but i hardly play on it,s as all my joysticks keep dying on me >.< im down to one sidewinder now, my joystick death toll is up to 5 now...

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
Thanks, WillyP I'll check those out! And that "setup" you got there, Foil, looks like something I've had my mind set on.

My current configuration, which is how I've been playing Descent since 1994 is,

A = Accelerate
S = Flare
D = Reverse
F = Flare
X = Slide Up
Z = Slide Down
G = Headlight Toggle
Left Shift = Primary Weapons
Space Bar = Secondary Weapons
Num 4 = Turn Left
Num 6 = Turn Right
Num 5 = Another Flare button
Num 1 = Slide Left
Num 3 = Slide Right
Num 7 = Bank Left
Num 9 = Bank Right
Num 8 = Pitch Forward
Num 2 = Pitch Backward
Right Arrow (thumb) = Toggle Primary
Num Enter = Toggle Secondary
Num . = Toggle Bomb
Num 0 = Drop Domb
\ = Energy=>Shield Converter
Page Up/Dn = Cruise Control
End = End Cruise Control

It works perfectly and have had some pretty good dogfights with some very skilled pilots, but it's all in the bichording issue. I'm thoroughly used to this configuration, and I used to have it work this way back in the Windows 98 days, but ever since XP and Win 7, those platforms don't like trichording or even quad or quint-chording[if there IS such a thing?] if needed. But I'm going to look into those suggestions for darn sure. I'm getting back into playing again and am currently working on TEW (on Level 13 right now), and unfortunately I have GOT to play it on trainee or die all the time because I can't fly and shoot! I have to stop and shoot and that's stupid!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »
Yep, that looks the balls, Foil. I have a couple of MS sidewinders and they are a nice stick, though I do like the extra buttons on my Logitech. And it fits my hand better. But it lacks the precision of the sidewinders.

Alieo, if you have a game-port on your machine look one-bay for the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, or the Precision Pro, or something like that. Someone (Foil, I believe it was) said after a certain serial number they are compatible with a USB port and all you need is a simple adapter. You might want to see if you can get one of them.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:26:56 PM »
I've got a Saitek X52 like WillyP suggested. It has a ton of bugs, but I've given it lots of use and abuse and was writhe my money. It has got over 30 buttons. The only game that I know of that can run out of buttons is DCS: A-10 Warthog. The startup sequence for the A-10 would probably take half of them, but still. :P

Plus the pinky trigger is a godsend. I used to have to take my thumb off of the hatswitch to fire a missile, but now I can keep it there and keep moving.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:28 AM »
Alieo, I see what you mean.  With that setup, you're probably getting all kinds of key-conflicts.  That's one of the reasons I eventually went to different controllers.

WillyP, you're correct about the Microsoft sticks.  The original 3D Pro and the earlier Precision Pro (actually a "3D Pro Plus", product id starts with '9') do not have native USB; Grendel's 3DP-Vert project is the only way to get full USB functionality with them.  The later Precision Pro (product id starts with '8') can use USB with a simple adapter.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 06:31:23 AM »
@ Alieo: If joystick is the way you want to go, then by all means, but I think adding on a mouse to your keyboard setup alone would help you significantly with your playing issues. Several years ago I used to play only with a keyboard and faced the same issues. Especially had a hard time trying to snipe, because the keys of a keyboard just weren't giving me the precision I needed. So I jumped to mouse, had those problems fixed, never went back.

But a joystick isn't a bad thing either. I just wanted to point out it wasn't your only option. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 09:37:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm with Scyphi here about mouse. It is a lower cost alternative for a joysick. It might not be "the" Descent way, though, but it is a matter of choice.

I personally had tried using a Saitek Cyborg evo for a while. But I quickly grew tired of it and held it for simulation genres instead. (Freespace!!)

@Foil: That is a cool hardware, man! I'd like to have one, what is it called? And how much does it cost?
:D

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
@Foil: That is a cool hardware, man! I'd like to have one, what is it called? And how much does it cost?

The pic on the left is a Belkin N52te, which I got for ~$20 via someone selling it on Craigslist.  The earlier-model N52 (which I've used before) might be even cheaper nowadays.

The pic on the right is a MS Sidewinder 3D Pro, which I got for ~$5 (Craigslist again).  I use one of Grendel's USB adapters for it.

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 09:52:13 AM »
Thanks, Foil. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets