Author Topic: Sometimes, it just doesn't go like you planned.  (Read 5360 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Sometimes, it just doesn't go like you planned.
« on: August 07, 2011, 01:07:31 PM »
Typically, when one talks about vacation, thoughts and memories travels and special activities, or thoughts (dreams?) of long hours relaxing come to mind.  Rarely is a vacation not eagerly anticipated, and rarely does one wish to delay a vacation even if the vacatation hasn't really been earned.

In my employment, I have the (typically rare) luxury of knowing that my job is very secure.  The support sevices I provide my employer is very desired, never any shortage of work, plus the organization has been growing for ... for as long as I've worked there (18 years) and expects to keep growing for years to come.  As long as I always work well and don't screw up or decide to be lazy, my job is solid.  The unfortunate side of the coin?  If I'm away and something goes wrong or breaks down, beyond the usual break/fix/update kinds of calls, there really isn't anyone to fill in for me.  So whenever I go on vacation, the timing of vacation is carefully planned and either options arranged for or a means to reach me is in place.  Normally, this works out well and I get to enjoy vacation ... at certain times of the year.

Not so much this time.  The first week, I ended up having to return to the office on two seperate days and also remote connected a couple times fo other matters.  It's not all bad, I'll get to take extra time off later on, and some needed procedural changes will probably happen thanks to the events of that week... so it's a good thing in the long run.

Then the second week of vacation came.  First there was the weather.  After a few weeks of clear (and hot) weather, some stormy weather rolled in which forced some changes to the plans.  The 8 year old got sick, couldn't hold anything down, and the doctor thought it might be appendicitis (it wasn't, but it cut into two days time).  Two days later while at some nearby sand dunes, the 8 year old lost his balance with too much momentum while going down a slope ... and face-planted at the bottom.  Broke his arm.  Back to the doctor we went.  Plans had to change again.  We thought we might use a projector to shine movies (late at night, of course) on the side of the house while we ate snacks and lounged in the yard ... but the weather didn't conform, so we set up a screen indoors using a large sheet.  We had fun anyway.

Tomorrow I return back to work (officially) and resume the normal routine.  Oddly enough, I feel refreshed and rejuvenated, actually eager to get back to work, even though vacation was filled with calls from work, sick and injured child, uncooperative weather, and frequent change of plans.  So what happened to make vacation alright?  Perhaps vacation isn't really the time spent away from work, but is actually the time spent with loved ones.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Sometimes, it just doesn't go like you planned.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 06:42:05 PM »
If all goes well, I'll be leaving Monday until Thursday.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:08:24 AM »
Labor Day weekend is near. My plan: not be sick. I have been sick since Friday night, the 19th. I'm told it's allergies. I don't care. I hate how I feel. It started off with just being very tired. it went into not wanting to move some mornings, some night or two with a slight fever. a lot has to do with coughing and sometimes blowing my nose. junk would come up while coughing at times. and it's a pain to sleep at times because the coughing would keep me up. it woke me up at 12:30 this morning again. I am sick of it.
I just want to be well this weekend.

hope everyone else is well.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »
That is definitely not allergies if you've been running a slight fever. Sounds like a mild cold to me.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
allergies. cold. I am killing it off by the weekend (insert evil laugh).

i don't have to cough as much, and it's seems my throat tends to be more dry which I guess is better than before.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 08:11:56 AM »
Evil cough?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
it is evil. it woke me up twice in the middle of the night. I'm glad I don't cough as much, but in the middle of the night? I need my sleep.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
If my mother were here, she'd say "drink more water!" :P

Seriously, though, that is the best thing for a cough, especially the kind you're describing Vanguard, is to drink lots and lots of water.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 07:34:06 AM »
I am getting sick of the bland taste of water. I had some vitamin water, and woke up again, coughing, but it only lasted seconds.

Each day now, I am getting better. less coughing. little more energy.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 06:27:38 PM »
Filtered ice water ftw?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 06:45:36 PM »
I barely drink anything but water, I've almost forgotten what it tastes like to drink other things.
Like rabbit blood
It has something to do with no-one ever making any juice or iced tea or lemonade or... you get the picture.  And me being too lazy to do it for myself because I'm so used to the taste of water.

Seriously though, I recommend warm tea with milk (and maybe lots of shiny sugarz).  That always helps me.  A little bit of honey in it can help if your throat is sore.  I'm not sure what kind of tea, but I usually drink herbal and fruit teas.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 06:48:19 AM »
If Vanguard has a congestive cough, then milk is probably the last thing he's going to want (milk can actually make it worse). But if not, then go for it. :)

And I say again, even if you are sick of it, drinking lots of water is one of the best things you can do for a cough.
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
I appreciate everyones concern. cough is nearly gone, and that is even by drinking soft drinks again.
any form of dairy isn't too good at all for colds.
my friend wanted pizza last Friday with garlic bread. normally, good stuff. but with all that dough, dairy, and soft drink, I am surprised I lived through it without coughing something up. i felt worse that night though.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets