Author Topic: Better do it while I can.  (Read 4426 times)

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
Better do it while I can.
« on: July 20, 2011, 09:05:14 PM »
From time to time, a person may seem to be a bit more easily irritated, lacking motivation, not staying on topic, daydreaming more often, perhaps listless.  The person might also spend considerably more time with time wasting entertainments such as watching shows, playing a game, or just lazing around.

Many of these symptoms could suggest the person may be in need of taking a vacation.  An opportunity to rest and relax, get away from the usual routine, unwind.  The much desired chance to get away from the stresses of maintaining a meager existence, and perhaps getting paid to take that time if your job is nice enough.

There is just one thing that us humans do with our vacations that never really makes sense.. We fill up our vacations with stuff.  Oh sure it's nice to get out and do something fun and enjoyable away from your usual surroundings and that can be a real relaxing thing to do, but in reality sometimes we just do too much and miss the whole point.

For example, many adults with children will plan a vacation, make arrangements, pack up the stuff needed, do necessary shopping, fix/correct things ... and then spend our time supervising and/or directing what others (the children) are doing the entire time, never really getting to relax, have fun, and unwind, possibly because we're too busy making vacation happen.

I considered what I would do for vacation this year, and economics being what they are right now, I've decided to not do much travel or anything very expensive.  Of course, that meant I might actually get a chance to just relax and actually rest ... and then I ruined it.  I started thinking about the things I could do around t he house with the time I'd have on hand, the rooms I could paint, the garage to clean out real good, the gardening, some repairs on the house, maybe repairs on vehicles.  Before I knew it, I was wondering when I'd again be able to take vacation after this vacation.

Phooey.  That's it.  I'm going to do what Spock said Vulcans do (see "Shore Leave", STOS).  Cease activity.

Of course, when I'm bored of that, I'll go find something fun to do.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: Better do it while I can.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:27 PM »
Many of these symptoms could suggest the person may be in need of taking a vacation.  An opportunity to rest and relax, get away from the usual routine, unwind.

But does the boss listen? Nooooo.

I finally told myself today that I would begin drawing my first piece of art on the computer. I was supposed to get my computer tablet today, but the senders said "lolnope. Tomorrow."

I told mom "Mom! I will be undertaking an epic challenge. For the first time ever, out of my hundreds of crappy drawings and 3 and a half good drawings, I will be making my next masterpiece on the computer from scratch. I request peace."

I'm on a roll when she suddenly calls me away to do a job. I had to place lights under the cabinets with nothing but a starter nail and hammer, a crapmed space, a few screws, and a blasted screw driver.

THE SCREW DRIVER! I had to jam that thing up into the cabinet as I was screwing in the screw to hold the lights in place, and God my palm was getting bent.

After 6 screws, I finally went back to my computer and my hand was shaking too badly to do anything with a mouse! I demand my tablet!

/some exaggeration
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
This is why you go on a cruise. Specifically, a Disney cruise. Nowhere to go and all day to get there. Set the kids loose in their area and spend the day poolside in perfect 80-degree weather with a light breeze that plagues (Not!) the Caribbean.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 04:51:11 AM »
Over the 4 day fourth of July vacation, I was just doing whatever with friends and playing Call of Duty. I didn't want to think much on what I was going to do.

I took (permanent) vacations from things on the internet, forums and what not. It felt good. Sometimes I feel like doing that here.
I would, but work can be slow and I have no place to go at times. I still may.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
Those Disney cruises always seemed too sickly sweet to me, and, I dunno, the idea of a cruise just has never appealed to me.

My idea of a wild time is some alone time with my computer. And I get quite a bit of that already, so... :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 05:49:49 AM »
Call of Duty; or some computer time. time away from things; people. there's a vacation

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 08:33:12 AM »
Computer doesn't keep the kids busy for you, unless you get them horribly addicted like me!

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 08:35:50 AM »
I'm reminded of a Red Green skit; what activities you can do with kids. One said "adapt". You do whatever you want to do, and the kids have to adapt.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 06:38:19 AM »
Quote from: IHateHackers
Computer doesn't keep the kids busy for you, unless you get them horribly addicted like me!

Good point, but I've found it's getting harder and harder to find kids who aren't already addicted to computers. It's just about a way of life these days.

Of course, a good parent wouldn't be on the look out for things to keep the kids busy and under control for them, because that's really supposed to be their job. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:46 AM »
Talking about vacations...

I've gone to my summer house right now, and I've been offline for almost a month. That meant I had to keep myself busy, and I've got bored of playing games... so I did what I've enjoyed most: Diving, sea cruise, etc... it was cool.

I'm planning a visit to Germany (by MYSELF!) for some sightseeing, and roller-coaster hunt (Silverstar).  That will be a good vacation before school.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets