Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 38369 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
Yes you still need the fade to black.

Anyway, I have started on a whole new theme which does stuff in a different way. I have posted a question on the forum of the guy that made it so I need to leave it up for him to look at for now but you can switch to Midnight Shade in you profile if you want.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 06:53:50 AM »
Like so?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 07:14:13 AM »
Hey, I see boarshed... I wouldn't have expected them.  Despite being so dangerous I always saw them as rather obscure -- maybe because they were so near the end of D2.

However, the spider and the spawn didn't give that impression (maybe because they have a D1 parallel?).

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »
Like I said before, why do we even need a new theme? I like Dusky 2 as it is, otherwise I also liked the first theme tried (with the metal background) better than the themes we're trying now.
Because as I recall SMF 1 skins do not work in SMF 2, and this is a SMF 1 skin and we're upgrading to SMF 2
And this is why phpbb is good.
For the record, the PHPBB 2.0->3.0 broke 2.0 skins in just the same manner. I'm not saying I dislike PHPBB over this, but skin incompatibilities are very common across major revisions of forum software.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »
Quote from: wazzazzle
Hey, I see boarshed... I wouldn't have expected them.  Despite being so dangerous I always saw them as rather obscure -- maybe because they were so near the end of D2.

However, the spider and the spawn didn't give that impression (maybe because they have a D1 parallel?).

I really just kind of picked robots at random, and used whatever outlines worked out the best and could be recognized from just that (some of the robots, given to the angles I found pics of them in, were unrecognizable and appeared as mere grey blobs. Like the red and green hornet bots from D2. Both of those didn't turn out too good for this, at least from the pics I was grabbing them from).

The only deliberate robots I picked was the D3 Pest bot, because the same bot appears in the bar I was trying to mimic, and the lifter bots, as they're iconic of Descent.

Can everybody name the robots I used? ;)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:14:50 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2011, 08:26:54 AM »
No, I can't but someare definitly recognizable like the lifter and old scratch, some are not so redily discernable, but that's ok.

However, if you look at the test site they are barely visible. I think for it to work it needs to be reduced even further, but I think that theme is not working and I like Dusky 2 better, I can make a theme out of that one that is more like Dusky but not right now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 08:30:25 AM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2011, 09:20:28 AM »
Understood, but still, I would like to see it anyway. All I see now when I visit the test site is an ugly green-and-white thing that is either a young WIP, or a now-defunct link. Or some kind of problem on my end of the world wide web.

EDIT: never mind, I figured out that I had to change the theme to that, as you had said earlier, but clearly I wasn't paying attention. :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:26:49 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »
Quote from: wazzazzle
Hey, I see boarshed... I wouldn't have expected them.  Despite being so dangerous I always saw them as rather obscure -- maybe because they were so near the end of D2.

I really just kind of picked robots at random, and used whatever outlines worked out the best and could be recognized from just that (some of the robots, given to the angles I found pics of them in, were unrecognizable and appeared as mere grey blobs. Like the red and green hornet bots from D2. Both of those didn't turn out too good for this, at least from the pics I was grabbing them from).

The only deliberate robots I picked was the D3 Pest bot, because the same bot appears in the bar I was trying to mimic, and the lifter bots, as they're iconic of Descent.

Advanced Lifter, Old Scratch, Boars Head, BPER, That mosquito looking one from D3 abundant in Level 5, Class 1 Drone, PEST, Diamond Claw, can't make out what's on the upper right of the Boar's Head, is that one of those spiders in Vertigo on the upper RIGHT of Boar's Head? And is that a partially blown up smelter between Old Scratch and BPER?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »

Lemme try!
Mmmh...

In order (starting from the upper left), I see the next bots:

First row:
Shark, Omega Spawn, Medium Lifter, Squid, Stormtrooper, Boarshead, Class 1 Drone, Diamond Claw

Second row:
Advanced Lifter, Old Scratch, Gyro, Orbot, Again Stormtrooper and Boarshead (as they are in the middle of both rows :P), D3 Pest and D2 Pest.

:)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
Like I said before, why do we even need a new theme? I like Dusky 2 as it is, otherwise I also liked the first theme tried (with the metal background) better than the themes we're trying now.
Because as I recall SMF 1 skins do not work in SMF 2, and this is a SMF 1 skin and we're upgrading to SMF 2
And this is why phpbb is good.
For the record, the PHPBB 2.0->3.0 broke 2.0 skins in just the same manner. I'm not saying I dislike PHPBB over this, but skin incompatibilities are very common across major revisions of forum software.
That's not what I've heard. Although it did deprecate the old style of skins, they still work, but are not supported.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2011, 06:43:08 AM »
Pumo nailed it.  :D

Speaking of the background, WillyP, do you want me to still adjust it's size for use?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 06:45:04 AM by Scyphi »
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »

Lemme try!
Mmmh...

In order (starting from the upper left), I see the next bots:

First row:
Shark, Omega Spawn, Medium Lifter, Squid, Stormtrooper, Boarshead, Class 1 Drone, Diamond Claw

Second row:
Advanced Lifter, Old Scratch, Gyro, Orbot, Again Stormtrooper and Boarshead (as they are in the middle of both rows :P), D3 Pest and D2 Pest.

:)

You didn't list the BPER... That IS a BPER right? or am I seeing things?
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2011, 10:38:30 PM »
Mmmh, I couldn't see any BPER on there. :P
Maybe you're confusing some other bot in the image with the BPER.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2011, 03:33:29 AM »
Hmm... the Squid looks kind of like a BPER.
If someone who had played D2 recently, but not D3, looked at it, I could see them getting it confused.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2011, 07:07:43 AM »
There is no BPER. Could've put one in though, I think I did consider it...
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets