Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 38337 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
either you got the links mixed up with what you're saying, or I'm the one that is dyslexic.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
The first link had an error, which I've fixed.  I got them in the order I wanted.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 07:19:23 AM »
Quote from: Matt
I think it needs some sort of background, whether static or scrolling. It looks kind of wierd with that shade of blue on the black foreground and background.

I know we all requested no background, but I have to admit that Matt's right, it does look a little weird without a background.

I thought of two potential fixes we could try. One of which is to add back in a background, but have it be a different, less intrusive, background that's not so...quick to grab the eye. I was thinking that maybe if we got a bigger version of the robot outlines we have in the selection bar (with the "Home," "Forum," "Reactor," etc. options) and added a fade out to the bottom, it could work as a background, but that's just a suggestion.

Another idea is that I think the reason the lack of the background seems to clash is because it's a bright and somewhat vibrant blue. Maybe if we used a darker shade, that would help. Like maybe a nice deep navy blue?

Anyway, just some suggestions for potential fixes.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 09:08:09 AM »
I'm fine without a background, but a soft one might be nice. One thing I don't like, though, is the spacing in the post boxes. It currently looks like this:

http://basementnet.us/ryan/currentspacing.png

Notice how there's barely any spacing between the top of the post box, and the thread title and usernames, as well as with the sig and the bottom of the post box. Perhaps a bit more spacing should be added, as it honestly looks quite weird in comparison to what we currently have. Maybe something like this

http://basementnet.us/ryan/morespacing.png

Though I would advise just a little more than that.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2011, 01:44:57 PM »
I put the badges up, and put the background back to the way it originally was in that theme.
Added 10px margin to top of the posts.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:50:22 PM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
Looking at the badges, the badge's grey borders on the right and bottom of the badges ... give the appearance of being indented (like a pressed down button) rather than a raised appearance.  Doesn't seem to fit with the overall look and feel of the site.

If the grey borders were on the left and top of the badges, they would appear raised and would match The site better, IMO.

I also find the text on the badges very hard to read.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 05:28:27 AM »
The lettering on the badges could use a little work still. At the very least, they could stand being slightly bigger (I know the bigger the text, the bigger the image gets, and we don't want them too big, but it can't be unreadably small either). I have no qualms about the indentation of the badges though, and am actually indifferent for the moment on that.

Default background is better, but now it makes the site too blue, and really needs more black. I'm assuming it's just a temporary fix for the moment, correct?

The spacing between posts is a little annoying, but I don't know if that can really be modified too easily, and I'm sure it's something we could get used to.

Beyond that, though, everything's still looking good. :)
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
New background, and changed the post separator to just a thin line: Test 2: Planet Descent

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 07:13:27 AM »
I love Blue, I LOVE Navy Blue. But I think it's too much blue on that page.

I guess I am just used to seeing web browsers with a clean look. the background is usually white, or off white. Too see that blue and black, IMO is sort of an eye sore.

are badges normally on top or bottom of your name and avatar? I honestly don't know.

funny thing, looking at the website, it does take me back to the pd.com days when it was a black background and blue decor.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:15:33 AM by Vanguard »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2011, 08:58:52 AM »
Yes, that is the idea, to resemble the theme from .com, but not be a copy of it. I will also make a light colored theme, and you can choose whichever one you want to use, but default will be blue/ black.

Or maybe I should copy it, at least closer to what it was than what I have now. Wayback Machine: PlanetDescent
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 09:03:16 AM by ...WillyP... »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
I like the old Pd.com look a lot better. I think the sizing is better, there are some more colors; at least yellow and white text. a nice simple gray line to separate the topics.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2011, 11:39:45 AM »
I like the white-on-black because black is more energy-efficient, if you think about it.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2011, 12:21:29 PM »
I don't know if it matters or not. I have enough energy to run a monitor.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 01:22:26 PM »
I don't think you're getting my point.
Energy conservation -- a part of environmentalism.  Every little bit counts, you know.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2011, 02:55:10 PM »
I'm sorry but I don't think it works that way...

Saving energy one monitor at a time
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 02:58:17 PM by IHateHackers »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets