Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 37894 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2011, 06:37:22 PM »
There are now two themes you can choose from your profile settings... PDlite and PDdark.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2011, 05:33:42 AM »
Needz moar commentz!

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2011, 11:13:33 AM »
Wow, you've done a lot of updating the look.  I'm liking how slick the PDdark theme looks, and the PDlite theme is good too.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Lite theme looks pretty nice (as already stated), but the dark theme seems more fitting for the mood of Descent. Unfortunately, the dark theme feels like it's missing something...but I can't for the life of me figure out what... :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »
The dark one struck me as too similar to the existing one I use, (which looks to be Dusky2).
It didn't seem to be as nice as just a colour-shifted version of the light skin. (Maybe that's exactly how it was, it just seemed ... emptier).

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #110 on: July 31, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
Scyphi and I compared site to site and we *think* we have an idea why the new PDdark theme felt like it was missing something (as he described it).

Comparative pics attached.

1. On the new site, the logo has more spacing around it.  This may be negligible and may have very little impact one way or the other.

2. On the new site, the avatar for the current user is displayed above the current user info instead of to the left of the current user info.  This arrangement forces more height to the header area and leaves a large empty space between the current user info and to site logo.

3. On the new site, the News banner is turned on (of course) and it occupies a large amount of space between the logo/current user info and the rest of the forum.  I/we don't know if that news banner will be getting turned off when the new forum software goes live ... but we (Scyphi and TechPro) agree that the space it occupies contributes a lot to that "missing something" feeling Scyphi described.

Having said this, these items are really only little things.  The work in building the new themes is really good and we applaud WillyP's efforts.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #111 on: July 31, 2011, 05:05:06 PM »
Thanks for the recognition, TechPro, and thanks for providing feed back, everybody.

I'll give some thought and see what I can do about tightening up the header a bit.

As for the news fader I don't think that would be on often. Just for announcements like if we have a PD reunion or something.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets