Author Topic: Slightly confused about ranks here  (Read 6103 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Slightly confused about ranks here
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
I was just on if one can lock their own thread. It doesn't seem to be the case, unless I guess, your post count is high enough. It looks like I can remove a topic though. I would think removing a topic is more extreme then locking it, or am I not seeing something clearly?  ???

It states "Purple Heart" members can delete their own topics. I am Gold I believe, and it looks like I can already. I haven't tested it yet though.

I'm slightly curious and confused.

here is what "The Chief" said in another topic:

Non-Staff members will achieve the following ranks based on post count.
  • Bronze...              0 posts
  • Silver...               5 posts
  • Gold...             100 posts
  • Platinum...        750 posts
  • Purple Heart... 2000 posts

As members progress through the ranks, privileges are extended... for example, a bronze member cannot send more than 5 personal messages. A Purple Heart member can perform some self moderation tasks, such as moving, splitting our deleting his own topics.

You must be Silver (5 posts or higher) to upload avatars, or attachments. This is an anti-spam measure.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Slightly confused about ranks here
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:41 PM »
I think WillyP posted a topic somewhere as well that had different ranks. I believe Platinum could move their own topics in what he posted.

EDIT: here: http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?topic=508.0

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 10:38:48 PM »
Are WillyP and The Chief one in the same or are they two separate people? I kind of always thought that "The Chief" is like, THE GREAT WIZARD OF OZ, as in, the floating head with the fire, and WillyP is "the man behind the curtain" playing as The Chief.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »
Commander and Chief is the founder and creator of PD.Net, and I assume he mostly helps maintain the site in the background, but he doesn't post that frequently in the forums, at least not since the site first went up, and we were still sorting out how everything was going to work (go back to some early threads on the site, and you should find some of his posts there).

I think WillyP acts kind of like second in command.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 07:47:08 PM »
So we don't actually know who runs PD.net? I'm pretty sure Command and Chief is WillyP's admin account. Most forum softwares require creating an admin account at installation that has special priviledges, kind of like the hidden administrator account in Windows.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 08:42:34 PM »
If it is, I bet he wants to keep us guessing. I've always wondered though.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:53 AM »
Whatever happened to Top-Gun? He didn't post all the time back at .com, and the CnC isn't posting here often either.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 07:53:19 AM »
Quote from: Matthew
I'm pretty sure Command and Chief is WillyP's admin account.

I would be greatly surprised if this was true because I am pretty sure Commander and Chief and WillyP are two different people.

Now would be a good time for either of them to come forward and clarify this. (hint-hint) :P

If I remember correctly, Top Gun was late to join PD.Net after .com went down, and never really seemed to get into the flow of things, I guess. He hasn't been that frequent a poster on either site in recent years anyway. I'm sure he has a reason either way.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 07:56:28 AM »
Some days, I write sort of often, other days, not really at all. It varies. Real life comes before internet life.

Offline DarkWing

• Gold
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
If I remember correctly, Top Gun was late to join PD.Net after .com went down, and never really seemed to get into the flow of things, I guess. He hasn't been that frequent a poster on either site in recent years anyway. I'm sure he has a reason either way.
You remember correctly.  I'm sure he has a reason, too.  Just like I do.

Offline Top Gun

• Silver
  • PD Pyro
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:32:03 PM »
I'll have to ask him about that reason next time I see him.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
Well, it seems like you have a chance already, so you better hop onto it before it's too late

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:59:54 AM »
Let us know when you see him, TG. :P
Check out my deviantART

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets