Author Topic: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.  (Read 38341 times)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« on: July 05, 2011, 06:40:06 PM »
New test of the upgrade to SMF 2.0. Still a lot of work left to do, and Tiny Portal is still in release candidate, with a few bugs still. But anyway, the new test site is here: Test 2: Planet Descent

Note that registration is closed, but you should be able to log in and check it out. If you became a member here after I made the db backup, you won't be a member there.

Feel free to post but keep in mind it is just a test and will likely be deleted when the upgrade is done. If you have any suggestions or notice any problems you can post in this thread.

Known Issues:
  • Missing staff rank orbs images. Image file needed to be uploaded to theme folder. However we will probably be using Alio's custom badges instead.
  • Make or customize a second theme for those who don't like the light on dark theme. More feed back needed.
  • Fix the store block. Probably just need to call the js from the theme.
  • Menu does not always highlight the correct place, ie, you are in forum but home is highlighted.
  • Add 'Files' to the menu.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:14:10 AM by ...WillyP... »
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Re: Upgrade to SMF 2.0, New Theme.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »
Could just be my computer, cuz it's known to do this every so often, but on the admin's shields (instead of our stars), they appear as image-not-found icons. The yellow squares are ok though, and I DO see the shields on for this site, but not the test site.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:28 AM »
It's blue ... and it hurts my eyes.

I have to say that I prefer the grayish theme I am using here now.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »
Thanks for your feedback. I will make a list of issues in my first post and cross them out as they are fixed. Karx, you are using Babylon theme, which I don't think was ever updated for 2.0. (and I just realized I never added the gallery or files links into :O ) Is your issue with light on dark text? Or the particular colors used?

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 06:18:21 AM »
Looks nice, but I'm with Karx, I don't like the blue background. Given the color scheme, I would probably prefer a black background like what Dusky 2 uses.

But then again, if we have themes to chose from, this might not be a big deal.

EDIT: Since we're on the verge of upgrading, I figured this needed addressing. I noticed some time ago that the glow around the letters in the site logo is cut short. Seeing I made the logo (and thus have the original file), I've sat down an tweaked it. It was actually pretty easy, just needed to adjust the canvas size. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:48:46 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Crash

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:30:10 AM »
I think it looks great. That's a really good bit of customisation work there.
Maybe the forum could do with a border around the table on the list of sub-forums, nothing too in-your-face.

Like the blue personally, is a dark background (which is always good) and it looks classy. Is much better than Dusky2, which is what I normally use.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 01:11:45 PM »
the blue is so so. not really my favorite. but hey, you can't please everyone. oh wait, yeah, different themes.
I guess you can please more now.

are the shields orbs necessary? I feel like I am entering a kids site; which......I may be in one now actually; hmm....

I'm sorry. I forgot. What is the reason for this change?

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:10:30 PM »
Yep, I am using the Babylon theme.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:53 PM »

We gonna upgrade to SMF2 because it is newer and better.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 06:16:48 PM »
EDIT: Since we're on the verge of upgrading, I figured this needed addressing. I noticed some time ago that the glow around the letters in the site logo is cut short. Seeing I made the logo (and thus have the original file), I've sat down an tweaked it. It was actually pretty easy, just needed to adjust the canvas size. :)

Thanks, Scyphi, I've just put your revised logo up. Also changed the content area background to black, with a border.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:48:59 PM by ...WillyP... »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 08:34:15 PM »

We gonna upgrade to SMF2 because it is newer and better.

::) how original  ::)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 08:46:02 PM »
When do you approximately predict the full update will take place?

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:13 AM »
For me it still looks too colorful. Using that metal Descent 3 texture at the top of the page doesn't make it any better. Typical "American Baroque", overblown and candy colored. Certainly a matter of taste, but I prefer clean, unobtrusive, sober designs, so I hope an alternative design like the Babylon theme here will be available after the upgrade.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:44:59 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »
I have to side with Karx on the D3 texture background. It's not really adding anything to the site, and feels like it's cluttering up things.

Like the black background much better, thanks. :D

Now I gotta ask, because I just realized the logo on the new site is on a blue background, when the actual logo file has a black background. How did you pull that off? Did you manually change the color, or was there some trick you used?

I have no problem with it, of course, and in fact, when I was making those modifications, looked into giving it a transparent background before deciding just to stick with the canvas size adjustment as that was faster. I'm just curious how you did it. I will point out that the current blue it has may not be such a good idea, as the shield orb quite nearly matches it, and blends in a little. maybe if you used a significantly darker shade...?

Other than that, the upgrade seems to progressing along nicely. Like what we've got here. :)

Mmm, but something else I just remembered. The blue background for everybody's posts won't work too good for the MPD forum. Could there be a way to rig just the MPD to have black instead (as that works best for it)?
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 04:07:38 PM »
I like the new thing. If people don't like it, there should be an option to "turn off background" or maybe even change background image, but I like it a lot.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets