Author Topic: Ahhhhhh hhh hhh!  (Read 2970 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Ahhhhhh hhh hhh!
« on: June 29, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »
I like Summer.  I really do.  You'll have to forgive me for that.  It most likely has a lot to do with where I grew up.

It was a smaller town in those days, electricity had been invented and so the homes were modernized with, lights, indoor plumbing, some (but not all) even had cordless telephones.  Wait, it's no longer a small town.  In fact, due to the economy it's even bigger... with more homeless people on the streets. The weather in that not-so-little town would on occasion reach as high as 114 degrees Fahrenheit during the midst of the summer which was normal for the moist, humid, very 'Gulf Coast' community with almost all FM radio stations playing Rap (XM was a new fad).  However the warm 'growing season' lasted a whopping nine months because the other three months of the year the weather frequently reached 40s and lower.  I remember thinking that the winter had not really become a normal winter until it hit 45  Fahrenheit.  I do not remember a Halloween without at least a couple inches of sweat inside our costumes.

My mother would get concerned about the welfare of her child, (since I'm the one and only!) during the summer and knowing that the home's A/C tended to raise the electric bill, she would raise the thermostat to 82ºF.  We didn't have much money so by making it 82ºF indoors, this is how I got so used to warm temperatures.  The rest of the room would get it's humidity by convection. This was done by opening the windows, turning the whole place into a steamy tropical rain forest.

My bedroom which I shared with no one, was poorly insulated.  Did I say insulated?  Actually, there was no insulation but it was fully enclosed and sported three (yes, three) windows having once been dirty until I decided to finally clean them.  This bedroom had it's own electric fan mounted on the ceiling, about seven feet above the floor.  On the floor, just below that fan we would place this 'dehumidifier' and that worked pretty well, or so we thought until we woke up one morning to a fast 'swish, swish, swish, swish...' noise.

The water in the bottom of the 'dehumidifier' had actually spilled out and the poor carpet was drenched.  That was the year my Dad decided that room could use a little more insulation, which he did when he had enough money.

Ah, the memories.  Brought back usually by those times when I'd rather be inside blowing up virtual bots in virtual mines rather than go anywhere outside. I live in the exact same place now, and it still gets nice and warm.

It is 84ºF outside this morning and I don't even want to know what the heat index could be. So many public schools have closed for the summer, that one TV station started listing what beaches to visit over the summer.

{sorry TechPro... I HAAAD TO!!! ROFL!!!... New Soupe?? eh??}
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
Re: Ahhhhhh hhh hhh!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:21 AM »
I was gonna say that it seemed suspiciously familiar. :P

I couldn't live in that kind of heat. Nineties are about as high as I can bare, long term, at least, and that's assuming there's a cold water source somewhere nearby.
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »
It should read "bear", not "bare".
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 03:58:17 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:04 PM »
114 is pretty hot.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets