Author Topic: DXX-Rebirth problems :(  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
DXX-Rebirth problems :(
« on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
... It used to work fine, now whenever I click on it, the screen changes resolution, and I hear the intro movie, but all I see is whatever was on the screen when I clicked the icon. I'm running WinXP sp2, already tried rebooting/reinstalling, it still works on all our other computers that are nearly identical to this one, if anyone can help me with this I would be grateful...

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
Re: DXX-Rebirth problems :(
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 09:22:27 AM »
Are your graphics drivers up to date?

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:18:05 AM »
Yeah, just as Karx says, but I would also add an extra testing step.

Try to run the program in windowed mode. On d2x.ini, put out the semicolon on ';-window', so that it ends as '-window'.

But yeah, one way or another, I think it must be a problem with your vid card drivers.
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »
when you say "it use to work", what changed? a different operating system? DXX-Rebirth upgrade? new video card?

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:39:24 PM »
Putting it in window mode worked with D2 - for about a minute and now it's doing the same thing that D1 was doing, when I clicked on it, it shows the 'working in background' cursor, and you can see D1x-rebirth.exe in the processes tab in task manager, but that's all that happens. When I say it used to work, the only thing I can think of that changed would be that I installed a DirectX RTP recently, I know that I had this problem on my old computer, and I even tried wiping the hard drive and installing the drivers fresh, it only started working again when I powered up a hard drive with older drivers on it, kind of strange.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Does D2X-XL work on that computer?

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:59:22 AM »
it only started working again when I powered up a hard drive with older drivers on it, kind of strange.

That may be your answer right there. Sometimes the newer drivers don't work as well as older ones.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:26:29 PM »
*digs up topic and brushes dust off of it with one of those cool hats archaeologists always wear in movies*
I just found out what was wrong with it. After uninstalling everything that could have possible been messing it up, I found out that it didn't like the "Auto-hide taskbar" option in WinXP. Oops.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 06:52:06 AM »
Well I am glad you found the issue and also thanks for posting the solution here so others might benefit. Am I correct to assume disabling auto-hide solved the problem?
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Wraith-1

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 08:22:45 PM »
Yeah, enabling "Lock the taskbar" seems to fix it, I'm just glad I found out what it was right before the thanksgiving LAN party  8)

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets