Author Topic: 1337  (Read 27461 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: 1337
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 04:13:41 PM »
The supervisor has blue laser set too.

And the compact lifter from vertigo has medium fireball.

I'm pretty sure the robots need to have a weapon type set, if they don't have meele... so I don't think it really means anything.
But of course you're the one who's actually looked at the code... :P

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2011, 04:31:08 PM »
Actually most melee bots have their weapon set to 0 -- Player laser level 1. This is meaningless, however, as the melee flag is what does the actual magic. Not sure about the blue laser on the supervisor, or the projectile on the compact lifter. Perhaps whatever tools they used to build the robot data assigned the blue laser to non-melee robots by default.

Due to the nature of the PIG/HAM files, no key can be undefined or not-present, really, so everything's going to have a value of some sort, even if it's senseless :P
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 04:33:03 PM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2011, 04:53:24 PM »
Hey Wazzazle, I believe too that the Class 1 Heavy Driller is easier than the Class 1 Driller, but I put "Class 1 Heavy Driller" after "Class 1 Driller" because the name implies to me that it's original purpose before mech virus infection was used for heavier jobs in the mines than the Class 1 Driller was capable of.

I wasn't quite sure where exactly to place the Class 2 Supervisor Robot, so I put it ahead of the energy weapon armed robots and behind the heavily armed robots.
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Crash

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2011, 05:30:37 PM »
Does anyone have a screenshot of the fusion hulk? I don't remember coming across it when I last played descent 1 many years ago.
I can picture all the others.
I imagine the fusion hulk would be one enemy where your first instinct would be to clear out your concussion missile magazines rather than pressing Print Screen.

I recall that the beige-ish hulk that fires concussion missiles reminded me of a particular, horrendous sports teacher. It had the broad shoulders and its head was just the right shape, right down to the red, bloodshot eyes.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 05:54:46 AM »
In regards to the Split Pod, it is true that normally they don't do anything, but I've discovered that if you use DMB2 (or DLE-XP, whatever is your pleasure) to bump up it's speed and agility a little, they make for great bomber bots. And, if you texture overlay them with a texture that matches it's surroundings, they tend to vanish from your sight more, and are thus harder to shoot.  ;D

As for the robot names, I admittedly don't always think of them by their actual names. For instance, I usually think of the red hulks as homer bots, the Class 1 Drillers as the vulcan bots, etc. :P

I believe that it is fairly common among the fanbase to officially name the red hulks Super Hulks, and the fusion hulks Mini-Bosses. As for the boss robots themselves, I don't think they were ever really given an official name, so I guess we're free to call them whatever we want. I personally had just thought of them as boss bot 1 and boss bot 2. :P

@ Crash: I don't have a pic of a fusion hulk offhand to show you, but if you've played through D1, you've seen them. Think big huge purple hulk-like bots that appear mostly in the later levels, with a distinct "whirr-whirr-beep-boop" noise that fired fusion (obviously), that you ALWAYS wanted to get the first shot in on or you were dead, appeared en masse in the last two levels, and bore a slight resemblance in design to the first D1 boss, only a lot smaller, and obviously NOT a boss robot. Depending on how you play the game, you encounter them for the first time in the first secret level of D1.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 05:57:02 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 08:05:29 AM »
http://home.online.no/~p-olstad/descent/d1robots.html

scroll down until you see the giant purple thing.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
We can also make badges to replace the stars and shield orbs.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Crash

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:01 AM »
Oh, yes - that thing. I couldn't remember if it was more along the lines of the medium hulk.
Very cool site, I had quite a good poke about.
Looks like they were running out of funds to pay the modelers by the time they came to the gopher.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 01:32:20 PM »
As for the boss robots themselves, I don't think they were ever really given an official name, so I guess we're free to call them whatever we want.

In the outro briefing in the D1 Demo after you beat level 7, Dravis refers to the "boss robot" as the SuperHulk.

We can also make badges to replace the stars and shield orbs.

ACCESS KEYS!!! ACCESS KEYS!!!
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 01:40:25 PM »
I was thinking, since we will have robot names for each post group, why not have a badge with that robot on it? We could have a contest to make badges.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
For non-staff, we currently have 5 post count based groups.
Rank#posts
Bronze0
Silver5
Gold100
Platinum750
Purple Heart  2000

And one special group, which is used to give members who have less than 5 posts, but are known to the community, privileges such as uploading to the gallery etc.

For staff, there are 6 groups.
RankJob TitleName
CommanderAdministratorCommander-In-Chief
Lt.CommanderAssistant AdministratorTech-Pro, WillyP
MajorGlobal ModeratorD2Junkie
PDPM Planet Descent Poll Maintainer  NumberZero
PotD Maintainer  Picture of the Day MaintainerDarkShadowFox
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:17:32 PM by ...WillyP... »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2011, 02:35:13 PM »
I never understood Purple Heart. You have to be wounded, right? are we saying posting 5000 times, we are considered wounded?  ??? "we're all gonna die!!!"

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »
Well we can change that to some high power bot.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2011, 10:33:34 PM »
I thought the purple heart rank was funny. The first thing that came to my mind was someone that has made all of those posts has their fingers all broken and twisted from calking on the keyboard so much. Then I think of Darc because a long time ago, I heard him playing Descent 3 on team speak, and since he's a pure keyboard player, that's all you heard. Clack clack clack clack :P

BTW, what is up with those shields and stars anyway? What do they represent?
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2011, 05:08:40 AM »
If you have a blue shields orb, you are on staff. If stars, a non-staff member. Number of orbs indicates position, number of stars is post count, unless you are Nickle Plated, which is an assigned group with one star.

However, the stars and orbs can be replaced with single badges for each group.
Example from the TinyPortal support site:
See here: Random thread at Tiny Portal support site.

So I imagine this, with a picture of the bot replacing the TP cube. Then the name of the bot next to it, or maybe just a bot icon, for members, and the job title for staff.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets