Author Topic: DXX-Rebirth Updates  (Read 19260 times)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: DXX-Rebirth Updates
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2011, 12:41:47 PM »
You gotta excuse coders for being overprotective sometimes. Our projects are our babies and you wouldn't believe how much time energy and soul they extort from you.
And yet you would do the exact same thing you hate to somebody else's work?
What do you know, boy. You were still shitting your diapers when I was already coding.
Oh look, another uncalled for personal attack instead of a well-thought-out argument. Not a bit insecure, are you?

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
It's clear this thread is too far gone. 

Can we get an admin lock?

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
It's clear this thread is too far gone. 

Can we get an admin lock?
If you keep locking threads that he destroys, he'll never learn.

Crash

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2011, 12:45:28 PM »
OK men, I think that last shot fell a bit too near the target.
Seems like we have a long-standing rivalry here, no need to get too animated though.

Offline Foil

• Gold
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 01:17:01 PM »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:25 PM »
I'm not sure what is best.

1. lock the thread because there is probably little to no way of this being over.

or

2. Be adult about this, and ignore the personal attacks. forgive and forget.

I myself would pick #2. It builds more character. It's like me and patience. some say I have great patience. How did I learn this? by being "patient" many times over.
This sort of stuff will come into your life over time. I say, be adult about it.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »
Wow. And it took them only five years to copy these XL features. Impressive.
And this coming from the person who launches off on a hissyfit if someone dares criticize him. It's a 2-way street, bro.

A "well thought out argument", like in the quote?

All I can see here is an attempt to pay me back for the last time you had vented your antipathy and had failed; I guess that's what you were referring to with your comment quoted above.

That little reminder might tell you why I replied the way I did. You shouldn't wonder too much about harsh replies after posting comments like the above one. Btw, my comment actually was less an insult, but rather stating a matter of fact - well, more or less. You weren't even born when I started coding. So much about who is destroying threads here. I have yet to read a well thought out argument from you, and I have yet to see you produce anything constructive in the Descent community.

Back to topic. It's just hilarious how features make it into DXX-Rebirth - the "holy grail of true Descent-ness" - after years of stating such stuff would never make it there because Rebirth would always stay the lean and mean, perfectly true to the original, only real Descent. It's even more hilarious how many of these features 1:1 mimick what XL does for years - even down to printing "TYPING" when participants of multiplayer matches are in a menu. I rather think these things didn't make it into Rebirth any earlier for the simple reason that its coder(s) couldn't implement them, and not because of this "true to Descent" crap. Btw, you can and could always turn off all of XL's extras. For those to whom it passed unnoticed: The Rebirth coder(s) blocked off all attempts of a cooperation, particularly regarding a common multiplayer protocol to allow the two small Descent communities around XL and Rebirth to find enough participants for multiplayer matches at last.

In that light I can hardly hide my sarcasm about the "great achievements" Rebirth is presenting to the Descent community, and I think that it is a sad thing that apparently so many people fail to see the entire XL/Rebirth issue in a proper light. This is not about me being afraid Rebirth would take away from XL - it is about Rebirth taking away from the Descent community. It just seems to be too hard for many people to realize that.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:04:17 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Foil

• Gold

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2011, 02:42:07 PM »
Saw it coming. As soon as mention of Rebirth hit here, I knew that it would instantly start to go down hill.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
Saw it coming. As soon as mention of Rebirth hit here, I knew that it would instantly start to go down hill.
I could see it too. =)

I might have been able to hold myself back, but when I read what exactly the changes were, I couldn't help it anymore. :P

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
right
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2011, 03:15:57 PM »
I could see it too. =)

I might have been able to hold myself back, but when I read what exactly the changes were, I couldn't help it anymore. :P
Not an excuse. Not an excuse at all.

What I said is the absolute truth. If anybody dares criticize you, you launch into a series of vicious personal attacks. If I had gone into a D2X-XL thread and said something similar, you would've said many nasty things to me. Yet you do the same to anybody you see as competition and try to cast them as being inferior, and pretend you are somehow justified in doing so simply because the person who calls you on your BS is someone you hold a personal grudge against.

Also, profanity is not allowed here.

Why does having 2 choices of client take away from the community?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:18:12 PM by IHateHackers »

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2011, 03:19:03 PM »
I just wonder what supporting 9000 segments per level is good for ... which level editor will be used to build such levels - DLE-XP? DLE-XP only allows up to 8000 segments, and such levels have a special, XL-specific format. What's the point of supporting such huge levels, when you don't also increase the max. number of other level elements, like dynamic walls, triggers, and objects?

Well, it's probably to just to say "Mine is bigger than yours".

Yes Zico, I admit it: Your levels are now bigger than mine.

In theory.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:35:11 PM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2011, 03:21:50 PM »
I just wonder what supporting 9000 segments per level is good for ... which level editor will be used to build such levels - DLE-XP? DLE-XP only allows up to 8000 segments, and such levels have a special, XL-specific format. What's the point of supporting such huge levels, when you don't also increase the max. number of other level elements, like dynamic walls, triggers, and objects?

Well, it's probably to just to say "Mine is bigger than yours".

Yes Zico, I admit it: Your levels now are bigger than mine.

In theory.
Ok, and how does that take away from the community in any way? Lack of contribution does not equal taking away.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
Whee, IHateHakers is seriously trying to cross swords with me. You should get help, son.

What I said is the absolute truth.
Sorry, but ... no.

If anybody dares criticize you, you launch into a series of vicious personal attacks.
* karx-elf-erx repeats with a hollow sounding voice "vicious personal attacks!"
Unless you prove it, this is just slander.

If I had gone into a D2X-XL thread and said something similar, you would've said many nasty things to me.
* karx-elf-erx repeats with a hollow sounding voice "many nasty things!"
That's a wild and unfounded assumption, which can be easily led ad absurdum by simply reading through my forum. I am always doing my best to make sure that facts are on my side, so I don't have to resort to insults.

Also, profanity is not allowed here.
Ooooooh. Ok, "you were still crapping in your diapers". Better? No? How about "You were still defecating in your diapers?" I think that should satisfy even the highest civilisatory standards.

Why does having 2 choices of client take away from the community?
That's not what have I said. I recommend you go back and re-read until you have understood.

Ok, and how does that take away from the community in any way? Lack of contribution does not equal taking away.
See above.

Btw, I was just mocking at the overly obvious.

It would really be better you would leave it at that. Yeah, I know my comment may have sounded arrogant, but if you manage to put that impression aside you will (hopefully) realize that you haven't had a single point so far. This is getting from bad to worse, and above that it is getting boring.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:41:40 PM by karx-elf-erx »

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets