Author Topic: DXX-Rebirth Updates  (Read 19257 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
DXX-Rebirth Updates
« on: June 19, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »
Zico has put out DXX-Rebirth .57, sporting a bunch of new features. From zico himself:

* OpenGL ES Support by Florian Feucht and Oliver Haag
* Anisotropic texture filtering
* Improved transparency effects
* Colored Lighting effects
* A wide collection of Reticles is selectable including settings for Reticle size, color and transparency
* Expanded Sensitivity and Deadzone settings for Mouse and Joystick
* New optional control type for Mouse - FlightSim. Provides Mouse movement with an absolute center similar to Joystick-like control
* Improved weapon cycling/selection options (for Mouse mostly)
* Many improvements for the ingame menus such as scrolling via Mouse wheel, closing menus via right Mouse button, key repeats, Numlock support and more
* Support for keyboard layout-specific keys for game controls
* Find and join online games via Tracker server created and hosted by Matt "1360" Vandermeulen
* D1X-Rebirth now supports Descent 2 Multiplayer features such as fixed Play Time, Kill goal, Bright Palyers and Invulnerability when respawning
* Option to disable Friendly Fire in Multiplayer Team games
* Bounty game mode for Multiplayer by Matt "1360" Vandermeulen. Goal is it to kill the targeted player to score and become the new target
* Possibility to save and restore Cooperative games
* The game will automatically remember previously set Multiplayer rules
* M3U Playlist support for the Jukebox
* Random playback mode for the Jukebox
* Slightly improved wall collision handling
* Expanded possibilities for level authors: Support for custom descent2.ham inside missions (D2X-Rebirth). Support for Levels with up to 9000 segments (cubes). Support for Textures bigger than 64x64 pixels
* To prevent type-kills the game HUD will show "TYPING" below a player when a chat message is composed
* Free flight controls for the Automap
* Many Bugfixes and further improvements. Check CHANGELOG.txt for a full list of changes

You can go grab it from the DXX-Rebirth download page.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
Re: Zico updates DXX-Rebirth again
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:23:06 PM »
Looks like DXX-R and D2X-XL are now in direct competition for online play. Interesting.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
Re: DXX-Rebirth Updates
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 08:00:59 PM »
Ahh! Finally. Grabbin download. I wish I could thank Zico!
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Crash

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:59:21 AM »
Bravo to Zico on such an extensive list and good on you Insanity for letting us know!

How wonderful it would be to have a pie chart for Descent 'market share' between the two. If God had a publications department, that's one thing he'd print.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 06:41:57 AM »
Wow. And it took them only five years to copy these XL features. Impressive.

Unfortunately (according to many XL critics), Rebirth has stopped being Descent now due to introducing colored lighting effects there (which was one main point of attack at XL for a long time). D'uh.

It's hard to tell how many people are actually using XL because there are so many updates and not everybody grabs every version. I also have no per file download stats for my v-server. There may be tools allowing to extract such info from the server logs, but I don't know any of these (hints are welcome).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 07:01:19 AM by karx-elf-erx »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »
Well, now if people keep harping on D2X-XL for having coloured lighting while, ignoring the fact that it's in Rebirth too, then we know there must be some deeper psychological reason for it, right?  ;)

Crash

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 07:23:22 AM »
Server logs are never very helpful. They give you reams and reams of data but no actual knowledge.
I would just say, if you're shifting plenty of gigabytes a month, depending on the download sizes, then that's where you wanna be. Why try harder?

That is a bit low though when someone
A) Criticises someone then
B) goes back on that completely,
C) does the same thing later on,
D) hopes everyone forgot the earlier criticism and
E) makes a big song and dance about them doing it.

I'm not a big Descent person but even I can support the point Karx-elf-erx makes. I'm sure that criticism did definitely float about.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
Wow. And it took them only five years to copy these XL features. Impressive.
And this coming from the person who launches off on a hissyfit if someone dares criticize him. It's a 2-way street, bro.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 09:07:54 AM by IHateHackers »

Crash

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 09:51:45 AM »
You gotta excuse coders for being overprotective sometimes. Our projects are our babies and you wouldn't believe how much time energy and soul they extort from you.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 10:01:31 AM »
You gotta excuse coders for being overprotective sometimes. Our projects are our babies and you wouldn't believe how much time energy and soul they extort from you.
And yet you would do the exact same thing you hate to somebody else's work?

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 10:22:02 AM »
I think that they are both Descent, but XL changes the gameplay a ton. Rebirth still runs the same.

The colored light effects and all of the new fancy gizmos are default off so I haven't noticed anything besides a tracker.
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Crash

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »

Sorry, I didn't quite follow you. Which exact thing are we talking about, which I hate?
Going off on a hissyfit ('cos I sometimes do that) or introducing coloured lighting (in which case, no, 'cos I wouldn't know where to start).

Or is it criticising someone else's project? Cos I do kinda hate that. But I thought Karx made a fair point seeing as he got there first and the people he was commenting on gave him little-to-no kudos in the first place.
So, I view that as a fair view on his part.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »
There's no reason whatsoever to go into another coder's thread and tell them they're 5 years slower than him.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
There's no reason whatsoever to go into another coder's thread and tell them they're 5 years slower than him.

I kind of see your point. that comment he gave sort of reminds me of someone (not on here); and with all due respect, it is rather annoying. It is like a stab or a poke.
that may be what is annoying IHateHackers as well. and this person, (again, not on here, meaning not on this forum AT ALL), doesn't see why others are annoyed by it.

Offline karx-elf-erx

• Gold
  • D2X-XL & DLE-XP maintainer
    • D2X-XL and DLE-XP
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
What do you know, boy. You were still shitting your diapers when I was already coding.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets