Author Topic: I can't pick my ship  (Read 5783 times)

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
I can't pick my ship
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:52:24 AM »
I installed a new copy of Descent 3 + Mercenary using the Dateiliste installer and started Mercs before Retribution. This has apparently butchered the ship selection system in Retribution and I can no longer pick my ship, and I'm being forced to use Phoenix. I thought that recovering the phoenix on Level 6 would probably fix it, but it didn't. (I'm not sure about the Tank on level 9) Does anyone have any idea how I can enable the Pyro, because I'm not really the greatest phoenix fan anymore?

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: I can't pick my ship
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
That is odd.

Better to ask on Dateiliste I think, not necessarily because it's the problem (though it could be) but because it probably has the highest concentration of people who are very knowledgeable about the game.  Also Thomas knows the installer inside and out (he wrote it after all), so if it is a problem with the installer he'll probably know about it, or at least be able to figure out how to fix it.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 07:40:40 AM »
I don't think the Dateiliste installer is the problem here, as if I start a new pilot and then begin playing Retribution using the new pilot, I get the Pyro as expected.

Though I guess I can also ask there.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »
In both Retribution and Merc, you have to play through certain portions before you can select your choice of ship.  It's an "accomplishment" thing.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:47 AM »
The problem here though is that I've reached the proper places (post-level 6) and it's not letting me pick my ship. Plus, even before beating level 6, I was being forced to use the Phoenix rather than the Pyro.

I'm not noticing any issues with Merc, as I'm getting the black pyro on all levels as expected.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 09:40:51 AM »
You should actually get the Phoenix for the first two levels in Merc.
Once you've completed those levels you get the Black Pyro for all levels -- including replays of the first two.  I guess they did this to add replay value.

Offline SaladBadger

• Gold
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 10:05:26 AM »
Yeah, the first two levels did give me the phoenix as usual (you know, I have this really bad habit of forgetting to mention things. I should fix it), and I'm wondering if this is what's breaking Retribution, since I started my merc game before my retribution game. On another note, all other SP missions are giving me Pyro as usual.

EDIT: this is strange

it looks like, somehow, the Pyro never got enabled. After recovering the Magnum it was added to the available list, but the Pyro isn't present.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:52:25 AM by InsanityBringer »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:31:29 AM »
Huh, never heard of this bug before...  :-\
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Foil

• Gold
  • "I've never seen its equal."
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 08:07:35 AM »
Sounds like it's definitely related to the fact you started Merc before Retribution.  The code which initially enables the Pyro is probably in Retribution.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
...The code which initially enables the Pyro is probably in Retribution.

Wouldn't that have to be in the training mission though? Because that's always where you go the first time you start a new game with a new pilot. And you have the pyro there.

I always thought the Pyro was just coded to be the default unless said otherwise.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets