Author Topic: Quality > Quantity  (Read 11384 times)

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
Quality > Quantity
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:56:28 PM »
Congratulations to the 2010-2011 NBA Champions, Dallas Mavericks in their victory over the Miami Heat, beating them four games to two in Game 6 of the NBA finals. This marks the first win for Dallas in franchise history. They were a team of older seasoned players that wouldn't go down without a fight. They believed in themselves and their teammates and battled all the propagandist odds of being the "one and done" team and proved them all wrong. They wanted it. They got it.

I was cheering for Dallas during this series over Miami, not just because they were the "underdog," but for two main reasons. One reason is, they were the last of the three NBA teams in Texas that have not yet won a championship in franchise history, and being from Texas and living in Texas, I gotta root for the home team! But the other reason I wanted them to win is much deeper than just "wanting the last of the three Texas NBA towns to win."

The other reason I wanted the Mavericks to win was because I feel the Miami Heat basically wanted to "buy a championship." That's one thing I can't stand with a passion; buying a bunch of all-star players to win a title. The Lakers did it, and the most notorious of all of sports history for doing this is the MLB's New York Yankees. I can't STAND them! 27 or so championships? That's too much. When you start getting as many championships as the New York Yankees or the Los Angeles Lakers, do they mean as much? Do you think Phil Jackson's 11th NBA ring, won at the end of the 2009-2010 NBA season meant as much to him as Jason Kidd's first NBA ring in his 17 years playing basketball? I don't think so.

I think, to fight for many years and experience many falls and many near misses as Jason Kidd and veteran NBA player Dirk Nowitzki did and to finally make it, it makes the victory a WHOLE lot sweeter for them and the rest of the franchise. There, it was everyone's first taste of victory after years and years of fighting for a championship, and tonight, it paid off.

If Miami would have won, the stars on that team would definitely have felt good for winning, but I feel they would have expected it. This victory for Dallas shows that the drive and determination for a championship after years of dedication proves to be a winning combination over a franchise with a heavy wallet. In the words of former Houston Rockets' coach Rudy Tomjanovich, "never underestimate the heart of a champion."
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: Quality > Quantity
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
Winnipeg has a hockey team again now.

I can honestly say... I'm kind of excited about this.  Even though I care nothing about sports (well... I do care about elections -- that's kind of a sport).

Offline Ashes

• Silver
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »
Hello! My name is LeBron James, and I'm more important than you.
That's right, I said it. Not only have I dedicated entire TV shows to my own personal decisions, but I am an important person, one above you all.
Why is that? Because I have money. In fact, when this is all over and done with, I am rich and you are not.

"But leBron, what about the championship?" Forget it. I am King James. I am entitled to sit on my rear while my team is down by 5 points. So who cares if we lost? I am still rich.

I don't need a championship because I am this important, and I can still belittle those around me.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:21:50 AM by Ashes »
Do not read this post.

Crash

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
WTF?

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
re-edited by me:

umm...what?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:13:22 PM by Vanguard »

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 12:59:57 PM »
I think he's mocking LeBron and you're all failing to understand it. I get it because I talk like that when I'm mocking people too. Nobody ever gets it :(

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
maybe it pays to know LeBron James. I have no idea on who he is.

edit: okay, I googled his name. yeah, basketball. that's about it now, what I know about him.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 01:14:48 PM by Vanguard »

Crash

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
Woulda helped if I'd known who he was.

Offline Alieo

• Formerly "Texace12"
  • Platinum
  • Former undertaker; current overtaker.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 07:24:27 PM »
@Ashes: Yeah, he's all like, "I'm King James, bi***!" (like Dave Chapelle) LOL
I like to think I have a Descent taste of music.

Offline Ashes

• Silver
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
We all know deep down inside that LeBron is still upset that he didn't win.  ;)
Do not read this post.

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:05 AM »
maybe it pays to know LeBron James. I have no idea on who he is.

edit: okay, I googled his name. yeah, basketball. that's about it now, what I know about him.

Thanks. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but you have increased my knowledge of LeBron James 100%.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 07:01:26 AM »
I knew enough about Lebron to get what Ashes was getting at.

I guess this just goes to show that you shouldn't always presume that everybody else knows what you know. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 07:09:04 AM »
i have that problem all the time. by the way, Scyphi, remember, 17:00 tonight. don't forget.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 07:33:35 AM »
That central time?  ;D
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 07:39:59 AM »
yep, you remembered that part.

in all honesty, I do tend to have that issue. assuming someone who comes in my area, knows how to get to places. I don't know why I assume it. because I don't give it a second thought being I know where I'm going?
There are a few other things where I just assume they know, and I'm like, "no, how could they?"

I've gotten better though, I think.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets