Poll

How often do you play Descent?

Every day!
At least once a week.
A few times a month.
Rarely, I don't play games much anymore.
Rarely, other games are more fun.
Descent sucks, why would anyone play such a crappy old game?

Author Topic: How often do you play Descent?  (Read 29752 times)

Offline Ashes

• Silver
Re: How often do you play Descent?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 02:19:50 PM »
Even when I'm busy, I'll manage to grab 5 minute to pop back into the mines once a week or so, just for old times sake.

But I do like playing it on the weekend. Hopefully we'll see more players this summer.
Do not read this post.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 11:06:37 AM »
Hey, I always come back to see what my old flame doing! After all, the "first" is always unforgettable... :D

you do have a point there. the classics are the most fun; or at least, 'unforgettable'

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 10:30:04 PM »
I did actually play some Descent today :D I realized I have no saves for Descent (wut?!?!) so I had to start from level 1. I got through level 4 before I stopped. I have to say that the original Descent is still by far one of the best games ever. It's so far ahead of its time, and yet so very simple. The beauty is very much in the simplicity. And the musical track is awesome. Unlike most games today, the story is there to supplement and explain the gameplay rather than define and control it. And of course, the nostalgia.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2011, 04:23:33 AM »
...And the musical track is awesome. Unlike most games today, the story is there to supplement and explain the gameplay rather than define and control it...

[Blatant Self-Promotion]Take a look here and listen to the previews of the songs I wrote for Descent WiiWare.  http://soundcloud.com/diamond-paw.  Hoping they actually get used.  They definitely have the percussive feel of the original Descent tracks, but the style is a bit more D&B rather than industrial.  I'm not sure how, where, or how many will be used though.[/Blatant Self-Promotion]

I agree that a game is a game, not a story.  Games like Half-Life 2 are great and all that, but they should be called something more like 'Interactive Novels'.  The point of a game, is to play.  (And to prepare for your adult life, if you're a wild animal).
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 07:02:53 AM by wazzazzle »

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2011, 05:45:46 AM »
yeah, most games are games. One rare one that I like is Call of Duty: Black Ops.
At first, I wasn't too sure about the story, but it really, IMO, would make a great movie. Even the ending, and absolute end was good. Good enough for me to play just that ending part a few times.
but a lot, just end. Some shorter and more plain than others, like Descent 3 Mercenary, Doom 3, assuming Doom 3 resurrection. I may have them reversed, but both I believe ended very quick and had little to show for.
I'm sure about 90% of the games I have played and are out there, end short. That's fine. a game is a game.
If memory serves, I think 'No One Lives Forever' had a more decent end to it.

edit: actually, this may not be a bad poll. I know we just got one, which is fine. maybe later on, have a new poll, "what game do you think had the best ending?" better have Black Ops or I'm not voting  :P
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 05:58:19 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2011, 06:08:12 AM »
@ wazzazzle: Your link says I have to log on to see the material the link goes to. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
Fixed.  I probably should not have been logged on when I copied the link...

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 10:10:47 AM »
Hey, good stuff Fox!

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
I think you missed my point entirely, vanguard. I was saying I don't like games with complicated, in depth stories. I don't like being interrupted in the middle of my rampage to be told some silly detail.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »

Offline -<WillyP>-

• Lt. Commander
  • Purple Heart
  • I can haz personal text?
    • My photo gallery
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 04:16:07 PM »
I think you missed my point entirely, vanguard. I was saying I don't like games with complicated, in depth stories. I don't like being interrupted in the middle of my rampage to be told some silly detail.

I agree! but it is good to have a thin plot going on, a simple story like in Descent. But that story should be carried reasonably consistently. And it is nice to have a good ending. Not to involved, the ending to D3 was good. I don't even remember the end of Merc, IIRC, there wasn't one, you complete the level and that was it.
Smart people look like crazy people to stupid people.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
The ending to D3 is really good. It mops up all the loose ends, and the MD gets sweet revenge.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 03:52:45 AM »
the ending to d3 wasn't too bad. but I'm still hooked on the C.O.D. Black Ops ending.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 05:33:22 AM »
I liked the end to D3 because it wasn't a sequel hook, even though they were planning a sequel.  Considering that the sequel was never made, I think it was a good place to leave off the series.  Though there were a few things left unresolved, like the origins of the 'alien' virus -- I'm exploring those.  The virus as a sentient preadator that preys on entire civilizations, an entity whose sole property is sentience -- a hive mind of sorts.  The idea being that the 'aliens' and the 'virus' are not two separate things, the alien is the virus.

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 06:11:00 AM »
Wasn't that merc level on the alien planetoid supposed to deal with that?

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets