Poll

How often do you play Descent?

Every day!
At least once a week.
A few times a month.
Rarely, I don't play games much anymore.
Rarely, other games are more fun.
Descent sucks, why would anyone play such a crappy old game?

Author Topic: How often do you play Descent?  (Read 30279 times)

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
Re: How often do you play Descent?
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2011, 07:31:43 AM »
I actually like to think that Vertigo happened during D3.  I would think the end of Vertigo happened just before the mission on the CED Expediator -- any later than that and the pilot probably would have been blocaded from entering Shiva Station.

BTW -- speaking of the D3 demo, the briefing in there implies that you're playing as the Vertigo pilot again, but working for SRAD (a different part of PTMC).  The hint is when it says you'll be 'going back to the Beta Ceti system'.  No other pilot in the series had gone there before.
I would guess this happens after D3, because... well... you already quit a job at the PTMC.  But perhaps Dravis' death caused you to reconsider (after all, it was Dravis who lied to you about the infestation).

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 09:00:26 AM »
Dravis is evil. uses bots against us. sends MD in to be killed. MD lives to kill Dravis.

That works for me.
This. I don't feel any compelling need to dig much deeper than that. I usually like my games light on story and heavy on the shooty-shooty (but it must be well-made shooty-shooty)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:34 AM »
i got quoted whoo hoo! lol. im silly today.

That's how deep I usually get with games too. It either has to be something basic, like doom, descent, arcade games, or a really good story like Black Ops.
in most cases, I just want the simple story. "kill demons? okay. will do."
end of story.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 04:41:15 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »
Being an English major, I feel disappointed if everything I play/watch doesn't have a big complicated story plot to analyze. :P

Quote from: wazzazzle
BTW -- speaking of the D3 demo, the briefing in there implies that you're playing as the Vertigo pilot again, but working for SRAD...

This makes me want to replay that demo and get a good look around in that again. And the idea of the Vertigo pilot returning is actually kind of an interesting idea I hadn't ever really considered. :D

EDIT: speaking of which, anybody know where I can find copy of said demo, for PC?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 09:46:41 AM by Scyphi »
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Pumo

• Lord PuMo, King of Torbernite
  • Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2011, 10:28:50 AM »
I have it!
Will see if I can upload it here. :)
Pumo Software main Website
- Pumo Mines current release: v1.1 (12 Levels)
R.a.M. Land official Website

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
Ah ... I think the D3 Demos and Trailers are already here.
http://www.planetdescent.net/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=cat168

By the way, last I knew, at least one of the D3 Demos only works on Windows 95 (... maybe XP?).

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
I've checked, and there's only the Mac demo and demo 2 on there.

I tryed to upload the Demo 1, but it gives me an error that it exceeds the maximum file size allowed. :(

(The file size of the Demo 1 is about 30MB)

Offline Grizz

• Silver
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 10:08:51 PM »
 I haven't posted here in forever, so this a good one to step into. I still play several times a week, but it's starting to fade. For me the fun was always the people I got in and laughed like a maniac with, and they're all pretty much gone now. (you should feel guilty B) Not really B. You're doing good things in life.

Subway was always my favorite level, because of the people who played there, but I always liked jumping into different and new levels.

Not much going anymore though, so I'm starting to play Burnout on Xbox with my kids more, and spend more time on Facebook, and out in my workshop.
 D3 is still my favorite game, but it looks like I'll have to go back to LANing with my kids and playing single player soon.

Offline Bettina

• Silver
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »
Hi Grizz

Look for me tonight at 10pm EDT. My ship is rusty and the controls that used to have labels on them like "Fire" "Slide" "Get Grizz" etc, are either faded or have fallen off completely. I used a small hammer and got some of the levers to actually move and a few nights ago I played one quick game with no sound and got slaughtered. I felt like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum when they first tried getting that alien ship to fly in Independence Day. I fight like a rookie now.

I can make time but not every night like I used to. Twelve hour shifts with two on two off, seems to be the norm but students like me are low on the totem pole (until December) so I have to do some night work. The good is that it's not every night and we get walked to our cars.

Look for the light brown rusted ship tonight...

Bettina
"When the gift is the music, it comes from the heart that sings"

Offline Grizz

• Silver
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »
I'll keep an eye out should be done with dinner by then. We're 3 hrs earlier. Look for the guy with the cane limping around....  :P

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
Putting the... B back in Descent?

Offline Grizz

• Silver
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 07:46:31 PM »
Rusty huh Bettina? ?!?! 2nd place, and if it wouldn't have been for the hyperorb you would have won !!!!!! And I took a screenshot to prove it.. Excellent games though. Really good to play you again.   ;D

Offline Pumo

• Gold
  • Fear the Hosakos!
    • Pumo Software
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »
Very nice to see you here on PlanetDescent Grizz.
I see you registered back on April 2010, but I see you were not posting that much here.

Good to find you here. ;)

Offline blessu

• Silver
  • 'dont get caught'
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2011, 03:25:57 AM »
Thanks to help from willyP I have recently got back into D3 online>>>am rubbish compared to how I was years ago (but improving) I had forgotten what a stress release it is and just good fun>>>the on screen banter and nicknames are as ever hilarious...shame no rankings or competitions anymore....some seriously good players out there....d34e and blessu all 
'Blessu'

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
I would've loved to join you guys tonight but I haven't gotten around to reinstalling D3, and it's honestly such a pain getting everything patched, etc. that I just didn't wanna deal with it.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets