Author Topic: What would achievements be like in D3?  (Read 23522 times)

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
Re: What would achievements be like in D3?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 05:19:13 AM »
Hat trick: make 3 captures in Capture The Flag in one life

I remember seeing that one online. Not sure if that still is there or not. I guess it's been a while since I've played it, and also getting three flags without dying. come to think of it, it's something to me just getting three flags.  :-[

and welcome Ashes.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• An unusual choice for ship's cat
  • Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »
Premature dismissal: Go to the top of the level and get your notice of dismissal before starting the Mars Colony self-destruct
I do it that way almost every single time. :D

I found it because I thought it would make more sense to do it that way (to clear the level before blowing the reactor like you do in... almost every D1/D2 level.)  Then I discovered the sequence break.  Then I followed a lifter into the waste disposal system, wondering if I could trigger the end level before destroying the reactor.... instead I got killed by a blackshark missile that shot itself into the wall  ::).
At least I found out why the waste disposal has to be so deep (if it uses blacksharks better be sure they don't destroy the colony).

According to D3 Retribution the Blackshark wasn't invented yet, though, so I'm not sure how that could have happened.

Offline Scyphi

• Purple Heart
  • TechPro Jr.
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 05:56:36 AM »
Technically, as I understand how it's rigged to work, no black shark missile is involved at all. The waste disposal thingies the robots place the waste in apparently work by creating their own kind of Blackshark vortex effect (why this is an efficient means of waste disposal is beyond me, though). So the effect is there, yes, but technically it's not weaponized, so...not a blackshark. :P
"I thought I had a great idea, but it never really took off. In fact, it didn't even get on the runway. I guess you could say it exploded in the hanger." -Calvin and Hobbes
Check out my deviantART

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:52 AM »
But still deadly :P

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 09:00:41 AM »
Good thing I would have lost my weapons anyway on level 2 :P.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 10:55:36 AM »
Descent 3:

Sound the alarm: Alert the turrets in the beginning of Level 10

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:46 AM »
According to D3 Retribution the Blackshark wasn't invented yet, though, so I'm not sure how that could have happened.

In the intro to Mercenary, the Black Pyro (you, I'm assuming) uses a black shark. Does that change anything in what you guys are saying or not?

I remember that Merc 7 ends and is basically shown at the end of descent 3; level 4 and into 5, but still, I would think the intro to Merc would mean quite early in the descent 3 game.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 11:05:24 AM by Vanguard »

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
The intro to Merc never actually happened in-game or any time during the course of the mission.

If it ever did happen it would have to be after the main Merc mission because the mercenary is working for the PTMC, against the CED - and at the beginning of mercenary the merc is working for the CED, against the PTMC.  Merc level 7 happens late enough, chronologically, that the Blackshark could have been finished.

All I know is that the Blackshark was not finished by the end of level 1 in D3 Retribution.  If you look at the data on the mainframe in the room where you get the super laser, it tells you that the Blackshark (and the proving grounds boss) are nearing the final stages of production, and that the Phoenix Interceptor was just finished and shipped.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
i guess i don't know the story too much, and the intro. I just remember bits of that intro.

Offline NUMBERZero

• PDPM
  • Platinum
  • The Flight Pattern Reader
    • YouTube
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 02:04:56 PM »
Off Topic: I'm sorry, I half to go off topic.

Vanguard, your title says "Starhawk Interceptor." No, that is the Phoenix.

This is the Starhawk:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4049/starhawkredo.jpg

She was mentioned once in D3 Level 13 once by one of the data arms saying that the virus has infected the fighters. It can be assumed that the developers were going to have you fight them and that they would be very tough enemies, but of couse they ran out of time. There is an actual model floating around in the HOG.
You can fly the Starhawk in the Pyromania mod.

Sorry, I'm just a CED buff eventhough they stabbed the Mercenary pilot in the back for no apparant reason. :)
"I hate not being able to move in three dimensions. Cramps my style." -Cpt. Jack "Heartbreak One" Bartlett (Ace Combat 5)

Offline Matthew

• Platinum
    • Globalgamers.de
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2011, 02:59:23 PM »
All I know is that the Blackshark was not finished by the end of level 1 in D3 Retribution.  If you look at the data on the mainframe in the room where you get the super laser, it tells you that the Blackshark (and the proving grounds boss) are nearing the final stages of production, and that the Phoenix Interceptor was just finished and shipped.
Oh wow, I never noticed that. I need to pay more attention...

Offline Shroudeye

• Gold
  • Sol Contingency Developer
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 04:10:34 PM »
Achievements, huh? Here is a few I thought of:

"Don't touch the alarm!": Don't let the hangar security bot to sound the general alert in level 2.
"Distress signal": Send the distress signal in level 3.
"Close-combat": Lock the Super Thief in a room and defeat it.
"Near Miss": Near-miss a subway train! (Did once!)
"Scratch'd": Destroy the Old-scratches in the subway by luring them into the subway!
"To the last minute": Escape Red Acropolis when the timer reached 0:01
"Disruption": Disrupt all four stabilizers. (They are easy to forget...)
"Stealth intrusion": Don't let the canyon guards see you.
"Silent intrusion": Don't let the canyon guards that saw you to sound an alarm.
"Keep a low profile": NEVER sound an alarm in level 10.
"Down, boy!": Destroy a Juggernaut.
"Stealth Rescue": Finish Level 11 without triggering an alarm.
"Security Failure": Disable security Mat-Cens in Level 15.

Offline VANGUARD

• Platinum
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:02 PM »
Off Topic: I'm sorry, I half to go off topic.

Vanguard, your title says "Starhawk Interceptor." No, that is the Phoenix.

This is the Starhawk:
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4049/starhawkredo.jpg

when you first start installing Descent 3, it shows a picture of the phoenix with "Starhawk Interceptor" next to it.

Offline Kaiaatzl

• Platinum
  • beware of ounce
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2011, 07:50:47 PM »
Descent has... problems with agreeing with itself.

I'll go with what it says on the ship select screen -- not the installation.  Most players do that.

Offline TechPro

• Lt. Commander
  • Platinum
  • Where was I?
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2011, 07:57:40 PM »
I agree.

Yes, in the installation routine, and in the Descent 3 guide that came with the game, the graphic is there that is clearly the shape of the Phoenix is labeled as "Starhawk Interceptor" ... which is generally accepted to be possibly an error during the creation of the guide and the installer, or was an idea that was later changed as creation of Descent 3 was completed, or is one of the concept art pieces during Descent 3 development.

Whatever.  In the actual game, and in levels that use the dark bird shaped craft, that dark bird shaped craft is the "Starhawk" and we all know what the Phoenix looks like.

An Error Has Occurred!

Cannot create references to/from string offsets